My 22 Hornet

As you may know, I love my 22 hornet. :wub: It's a CZ527 and I got it new.

It was stiff to cycle when I got it, but even after a couple of hundred rounds, it still seems stiff. It's O.K. pulling the bolt back, but feeding the new round in needs a fair old shove, sometimes a bit more than others.

A while ago someone said something about this being a mini-mauser action. Is that anything to do with the stiffness? Or is there something else I can do to free it up a bit?

And NO. I don't want to do a 1 for 1 on a 17 hornet. :whistling:

Yes, look for tightness where the rim of the cartridge slips into the extractor claw as the bolt strips a cartridge from the magazine.

Very often there is a burr left behind on the back of the claw.

You may need to remove the claw to test for better cartridge stripping!

• Like 2

Yes, look for tightness where the rim of the cartridge slips into the extractor claw as the bolt strips a cartridge from the magazine.

Very often there is a burr left behind on the back of the claw.

You may need to remove the claw to test for better cartridge stripping!

I'll give it a go. Look for my post later "How do you put the claw back?"

Mine is still stiff tbh and it has had a good bit of use. I am going to put lapping paste on the bolt and just keep operating it whilst watching the tv to bed it in and remove any burrs and sharp edges.

Mine is still stiff tbh and it has had a good bit of use. I am going to put lapping paste on the bolt and just keep operating it whilst watching the tv to bed it in and remove any burrs and sharp edges.

Mine cycles really easily with no round in the chamber, it's once you load it it gets stiff. Can't see any burrs on there, so hopefully it will ease up once I use it a bit more.

Nah not going to happen ,my 1986 Ph .243 is a Mauser action and is as stiff as a teenager on Malibu beach ,free n easy till putting a round in then nice and stiff .Blooming German,s "we make like difficult for you Tommy"

Nah not going to happen ,my 1986 Ph .243 is a Mauser action and is as stiff as a teenager on Malibu beach ,free n easy till putting a round in then nice and stiff .Blooming German,s "we make like difficult for you Tommy"

Seriously guys, the Mauser action was the favourite choice of dangerous game hunters for its smooth controlled feed.

The claw needs relieving so the cartridge rim slips between the bolt face and claw.

I did my 527 years ago for the same reasons.

The space between the bolt face and claw is tight for hornet but fine for the thinner rimless cartridges.

U.

• Like 2

Seriously guys, the Mauser action was the favourite choice of dangerous game hunters for its smooth controlled feed.

The claw needs relieving so the cartridge rim slips between the bolt face and claw.

I did my 527 years ago for the same reasons.

The space between the bolt face and claw is tight for hornet but fine for the thinner rimless cartridges.

U.

Aha! So not necessarily burrs to look for, rather too tight a space between claw and bolt face. Makes sense. Cheers. :thumbs: