Night Out Shooting Cubs...

You could be right Neil. Could the same vixen have had one litter straight after another and kept the lot together? Or is that a last years cub that has stayed with her throughout? I don't know.

The vixen is the pic on my avatar, like you say she was very bedraggled and knackered looking.

Just like FatMans example there I'd say it's two litters with a few weeks age difference.

If you're only seeing one adult at a time the other adults might just be leaving the food nearby and one vixen is bringing it to the cubs. It's taken a helluva lot of food to rear seven cubs to look as healthy as those in your pics.

I was always of the school of thought that if you found small cubs in late Summer that it was a second litter from a vixen but when I said it on here a few fellows disagreed with me and reckon it's just a late litter but still the only litter that vixen has that year.

In hindsight, they're probably right.

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the camera of course... Boring time of year so been passing my nights watching a local litter. 7 cubs, the vixen and the dog all in the area most nights. Hopefully keeps the area well stocked f

This years batch, about a mile or so from last years litter. Same vixen maybe? Who knows. (Apologies for quality, photo'd them off my camera screen)  

:

Posted Images

I've seen in one spot near me two very different aged litters but only one vixen comeing in to them u could defo tell it was same one as she had a bob tail I always thought it was same dog fox had fathered with two vixens

Oh, OK, well observed on your part.

I've never heard of 7 in a litter and am thinking of two litters.

In the photo of one chasing the other it looks like a larger cub chasing a young one.

I know someone said it's a vixen but that's no vixen that's reared 7 cubs IMO.

There's been a few litters up this way with 11 Cubs this season,generally it's 8/9 Cubs in a litter

11 in one litter ?

That's unreal and there has to be a serious food source to rear that lot.

I would have thought anything over 6 or 7 was impossible with the Red Fox when the average litter is 4 with 5 regarded as a large litter in most places.

Usually when a wild animal has large litters it's because infant mortality is high.

Tell me, have you ever dug a Vixen and she with a large litter that's only a few days old ?

Well this has opened my eyes and no need for photos. I'll always believe an honest lad.

I hope that not a trend that's spreading as this year it's been hard catching up with call outs.

I've done the same myself a few times DD, just out of curiosity.

• Like 2

Over the years Ive dug cubs with 6 and 7 maybe more in a litter. That's all I can say it has been done more than once also. It could be down to area or maybe just like bitches some have bigger litters than others. I don't know the science behind it but it sure has happened. I do think it would be a great achievement if the vixen reared all to adulthood. The weak will die and the stronger live that's how nature would have it.

• Like 1

Cubs are well grown here .Be hard pushed to tell them apart at a glance ,only the sleek look and fresh coat .Ive never dug or seen litters bigger than 5 here . Its a sad fact that wherever we dig them they have to be dealt with not like days gone by when hunt would take them. I only dig cubs on call outs and has to be said me and the dogs are shit at it lol,it's only ever half hearted and dogs a bit on the big side for that crack.

Roll on the season ,can't wait.

• Like 5