Feral Dog V Greyhound

Dingoes have made there way into working breeds here and still do. more than one cocky in the mountains still takes a dingo pup and raises it to put over a collie bitch the first x isn't much chop but the second back to a collie are bottlers for working hard cattle in the mountains.

When I was a boy my mate raised a dingo/feral dog that his father had got from some where, that dog could run it would race every car in the town up the steepest hill. when he was about ten yrs old he mated a foxhound bitch that was wondering the town. Some of the pups from that litter made fantastic hare hounds that could find and run down a good hare.

Thats very true ,the dingo can SURE run fast even in the heat ,its unmatched .When a mate bred some first cross dingo into his pighunting pack he only got a dog that was lazy and targeted the wee pigs which it would kill ,eat and .........take a well earned nap . :D:D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A solid farm cur over a greyhound would be a better bet

I think physically they are tough as nature tends to weed out the weak,but like most things that fend for themselves,they would rather take an easy option and not fight or better still scavenge . I'

Interesting that the 'civilised' races look in scorn on indigenous peoples who haven't evolved a fantastic consumer society and a need to work themselves into the ground to gain huge amounts of materi

Posted Images

Interesting that the 'civilised' races look in scorn on indigenous peoples who haven't evolved a fantastic consumer society and a need to work themselves into the ground to gain huge amounts of material possessions we don't actually need. Our dogs are no different: man made products to satisfy the massive prey drive we have in order to wipe out the feral animals we introduced in the first place. There's a kind of irony in that scorn, I find.

• Like 4

Interesting that the 'civilised' races look in scorn on indigenous peoples who haven't evolved a fantastic consumer society and a need to work themselves into the ground to gain huge amounts of material possessions we don't actually need. Our dogs are no different: man made products to satisfy the massive prey drive we have in order to wipe out the feral animals we introduced in the first place. There's a kind of irony in that scorn, I find.

I agree with everthing you said and live simply myself,but you don't live near it.

The bad traits of the dingo far outway any good traits they have,well suited to our indigenous people.

Reminds me of a crap joke my mate from Melbourne old me about a shotgun, half a face, laughing and reloading.

For me I've done research on Aboriginals recently, out of pure interest and they preferred the European breeds over the Dingos due to temperament and loyalty. Apparently Dingos would fuuck off.... a lot! Imagine, 4000 years of whistling ya fecking dog back :laugh:

Surely though the blood, once diluted would add a lot to a hunting dog :hmm:

If a picture paints a thousand words, then that 'arse grabber' and its mate (that ain't interested in the 'action'), would be best staying put... Save yourself a few bob. ;)

Yep in nature it don't pay to get hurt or injured in anyway.

If a picture paints a thousand words, then that 'arse grabber' and its mate (that ain't interested in the 'action'), would be best staying put... Save yourself a few bob. ;)

Yep in nature it don't pay to get hurt or injured in anyway.

yep a wild animal true, but a hunting dog , like you said before Dan as to grab a yote by the throat to control and kill it , to stop damage to them selves , other wise you may as well just shoot your quarry , and not bother using a dog, unless it purely for tracking and nothing else , them hounds and your stags are bred to, find/catch/kill/ not watch it lol .

The bad traits of the dingo far outway any good traits they have,well suited to our indigenous people.

Reminds me of a crap joke my mate from Melbourne old me about a shotgun, half a face, laughing and reloading.

For me I've done research on Aboriginals recently, out of pure interest and they preferred the European breeds over the Dingos due to temperament and loyalty. Apparently Dingos would fuuck off.... a lot! Imagine, 4000 years of whistling ya fecking dog back :laugh:

Surely though the blood, once diluted would add a lot to a hunting dog :hmm:

My best mate's aboriginal,so only shit stirring with that comment.On a serious note ,even he hates dingoes as mushroom said.

Its all part of the madness that is the human race.Breeds due to too much showing and little or no field testing has lead to a huge amount of dogs /breeds unable to do the very job that they were bred for many years ago so ....shame on the kennel clubs and their toffy nose breeders.Many Many years years ago if the dog didnt fill the bag or couldnt do the job for which it was bred..... it was culled.A wild dog isnt required these days we in fact have plenty of good working stock out there but we need to stop looking for some MAGIC cross or breed and fine tune and hard cull the ones we already have .I have a good number of dogs off whom I make my living off the backs off ,we have our own lines of working terriers for pest work ,we only breed worker to worker ,only breed the best to the best and its true to say not all turn out to be reasonable workers ,the ones that dont reach that standard we cull .At times we add some other breeds to the mix but once again only from the best we have or can find of that breed.we have found by doing so our % of dogs that reach a reasonable standard is much greater .We do some really top dogs ,some reasonable dogs that do the job well and some poor ones that we then cull .I dont place them as pets as Ive found the owner then decides because his mate or uncle /sister has one... they mate them ,another litter hits the ground from parents that lack whats required .....thats only adding to the problem .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2

Its all part of the madness that is the human race.Breeds due to too much showing and little or no field testing has lead to a huge amount of dogs /breeds unable to do the very job that they were bred for many years ago so ....shame on the kennel clubs and their toffy nose breeders.Many Many years years ago if the dog didnt fill the bag or couldnt do the job for which it was bred..... it was culled.A wild dog isnt required these days we in fact have plenty of good working stock out there but we need to stop looking for some MAGIC cross or breed and fine tune and hard cull the ones we already have .I have a good number of dogs off whom I make my living off the backs off ,we have our own lines of working terriers for pest work ,we only breed worker to worker ,only breed the best to the best and its true to say not all turn out to be reasonable workers ,the ones that dont reach that standard we cull .At times we add some other breeds to the mix but once again only from the best we have or can find of that breed.we have found by doing so our % of dogs that reach a reasonable standard is much greater .We do some really top dogs ,some reasonable dogs that do the job well and some poor ones that we then cull .I dont place them as pets as Ive found the owner then decides because his mate or uncle /sister has one... they mate them ,another litter hits the ground from parents that lack whats required .....thats only adding to the problem .

You sure that Brian Plummer is not a related to you, I know he was Welsh but loads of them went to NZ on the ten quid boat? Those words of yours above could be heard reverberating around his cottage, being spoken to many a new face throughout the 70's and 80's maybe even longer. By the way don't mention the Rugby unless you're talking about the one and only Hurricanes!

You sure that Brian Plummer is not a related to you, I know he was Welsh but loads of them went to NZ on the ten quid boat? Those words of yours above could be heard reverberating around his cottage, being spoken to many a new face throughout the 70's and 80's maybe even longer. By the way don't mention the Rugby unless you're talking about the one and only Hurricanes!

Dont know much about Brian Plummer but now know he was Welsh ,is he alive ATM or dead just now...... I dont offer any opinions on matters I know little about but after twenty years of working over the dogs MOST days I have formed opinions based on what Ive seen & what Ive learnt .Humans like to over cook matters relating to working dogs, their opinions are much like bums...... theirs is the best ........Rugby is a different matter altogether .......go the ......highlanders :tongue2::tongue2:

Edited by toolebox

interesting comments seeing the ACD and kelpie both have dingo blood, be it well watered down by now. Australia is such a large place the variance in the breeds that constitute any particular population of feral dog could vary greatly. A pigdog hunted with a couple of years ago bully dingo ridgeback was hard as nails ugly as sin but hard as nails.

interesting comments seeing the ACD and kelpie both have dingo blood, be it well watered down by now. Australia is such a large place the variance in the breeds that constitute any particular population of feral dog could vary greatly. A pigdog hunted with a couple of years ago bully dingo ridgeback was hard as nails ugly as sin but hard as nails

Also interesting is both breeds are the the worst culprits for sheep killing when left to roam, according to a mate who worked for pasture protection.