Feral Dog V Greyhound

We have a lot of feral dogs here, these hunt and kill whatever's available, one of these crossed with a grey would be pucker.

The dogs in the picture are killing a monitor lizard, on Jurong Island, Singapore where these dogs are grow up to 3m long. Anyone know what the import and quarantine rules are these days, as I might bring one back to the UK for breeding?

post-105437-0-87156300-1499746838_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A solid farm cur over a greyhound would be a better bet

I think physically they are tough as nature tends to weed out the weak,but like most things that fend for themselves,they would rather take an easy option and not fight or better still scavenge . I'

Interesting that the 'civilised' races look in scorn on indigenous peoples who haven't evolved a fantastic consumer society and a need to work themselves into the ground to gain huge amounts of materi

Posted Images

Good pic of the dogs on the monitor,we used to get monitors coming into the garden at times after the chickens,they don't taste bad,the average street dog in asia is a shitter,it would be interesting to see them try a komodo :laugh:

I think you'd probably end up with a tough cunning dog if those ferals are anything like those that live in Africa. Feral dogs, in my experience, are as hard as nails and tough as fcuk. They have to be, the weak ones die simple as that. Anybody who thinks any of our pet / working dogs can compete for toughness might do well to spend a bit of time around feral dogs in a third world country. It could be an eye opener. Whether they'd work well crossed with a greyhound I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

I think physically they are tough as nature tends to weed out the weak,but like most things that fend for themselves,they would rather take an easy option and not fight or better still scavenge . I'd bet they tend to live by cunning rather than courage

• Like 4

That's the truth, they are only as brave as they have to be. Backed into a corner I think they'd be formidable but I expect, like all wild animals, given the opportunity they would avoid a battle to save on injuries.

• Like 1

They are very interesting to watch. I lived in Africa for a while and spent alot of time watching the feral dogs on the beach. They form packs and alliances and territories, I guess much like wolves. The ones I watched fed mostly off scavenging but there were other packs who lived in the bush who I expect were more predatory. There's a really interesting PHD project in animal behaviour there for someone

• Like 3

Local plod used to put the word out in the village for people to keep their pets indoors before they laid out bait laced with poison to control the numbers,rabies was quite a problem.

• Like 1

Same in Africa, they'd sometimes have a purge. Poison is an awful thing. Some f****r killed some of our dogs by throwing baits into our compound, all in spite over an imagined slight I expect. I never found out who which was probably for the best.

All wild dogs share the same Instinct to target the weak and old ,they cant afford to get damaged as then they couldnt catch the next meal.theres nothing wrong with the working stocks we already have as long as we breed from working stock and cull hard the breed can only improve,we only go wrong with breeding show stock with litte or no field testing ,thats the very reason we have breeds that can no longer do the job, they were bred for many years ago.

• Like 3

Dingoes have made there way into working breeds here and still do. more than one cocky in the mountains still takes a dingo pup and raises it to put over a collie bitch the first x isn't much chop but the second back to a collie are bottlers for working hard cattle in the mountains.

When I was a boy my mate raised a dingo/feral dog that his father had got from some where, that dog could run it would race every car in the town up the steepest hill. when he was about ten yrs old he mated a foxhound bitch that was wondering the town. Some of the pups from that litter made fantastic hare hounds that could find and run down a good hare.

• Like 2