Beddlington Terriers

Hi all

Just acquired some good permission for ferreting, ive done ferreting in the past with some friends its good fun and great for the families.

So i was at a show this weekend and got a couple of good 8 week old jills. Also was gifted a work 1 year old jill, so once my nets and locators arrive im all set.

For my first season going to just be working the permission with a friend and his beddy whip. However i would like my own dogs for ferreting one day as i dont think my two Bull X's will like the ferrets too much haha.

So ive always had a passion for beddlington terriers as a breed and i think its a shame they don't work as much as other breeds. So just looking to get few opinions on how a couple would do running the nets would also use them for rats and if anyone knows of anyone breeders of working beddies.

Thanks Joe

Edited by JoeButters1992

Beddies can make great ferreting dogs mate if brought up right, the same as any other dog really. I got a Beddie and a Beddie x whippet and I wouldn't be without them on my hunting trips. A good Beddie whippet is worth their weight in gold to a ferreter. Atb Adam

• Like 2

If it's out of working stock and you put the time and effort into it, you will end up with the perfect little ferreting companion in a Beddie whippet. Great honest little dogs. Believe it or not you even get a few that dont mind the sharp end. Atb Adam

• Like 1

Cant use a lurcher on my permissions. For the past 10 years used a bedlington great marker find a needle in a haystack type. All in woodland /scrubland crappy land really. Give me no real problems training wise great temperament also. Not a dog for bolters but works great with the nets a good sensible little dog.

• Like 6

mi beddy x lakey dus a good job ferreting bushing and marking but it dont get much of a chance on the bolters with my tow luchers about ther just 2 quick and no ther jobs well. but the terrier is grate for the holes that are thick with cover and thick hedge rows

• Like 1

Clever wee dogs the beddy crosses. Mine was very head strong and hard to train. Never makes eye contact and stares into space when your talking to her. I only got her for ferreting but shes tuŕned out good on the lamp too and trys and tackles bigger stuff than rabbits.

My experience with my beddy whippet was a good one and I don't recall ever regretting any thing about her. Absolute pleasure in all respects as I recall

15004022521_771e3dbf73_c.jpg

Terry, that picture could be a snap shot of my youth, bag of ferrets, terrier, little lurcher and the trusty Baikal single barrel.....happy days.

yes that sums it up when I took that terrier I never left with out a ferret oh and a shovel. Even in middle of summer if he marked in the middle of a gorse bank I all ways honoured his mark and we got the bugger out lol then home for bowl of grans stew. As you say great days

• Like 2

I'd get a lurcher with a bit of beddy and some collie in the mix..something around 22-24" .

I love Bedlington's... But not a pure for bunnies and to be honest a beddy x whippet is not what I would go for.. all the ones I have ever seen work lack what a collie X brings to the mix.

I bought a nice pure bitch a couple of years ago for the mother -in- law as a gift etc etc.. its a cracking looking little dog.. but it would be more suited to bushing and digging than a top notch ferreting dog that's a cert.. Wooden headed is all can describe it and all the others I've seen.