Bloody Crows !

After seeing a black cloud destroy two big cover crops we set about extracting revenge ! One gun on the redrilled crop , one in the pen and another on a crossing point the plan had failure written all over it ?, and so it proved to be , the first couple of hours we managed about 40 but it petered out when the black hoard just sat in a belt of high firs and waited out our feeble effort to thin them out ..we retreated ..finishing on about 65 picked with another 10 missing presumed killed in action ..

Plan two ..just two of us after struggling to find guns , one in the high firs , one in the pen , a gas cannon in the new maize , round two ...the black cloud never appeared a few came into the firs to start and we struggled on and stuck with the job for a full twelve hours ..I was convinced they would come back on the pheasant feeders once the feeders were in the shade , shows what little I know . We finished with around 48 picked and half a dozen lost to the cover ..driving out the cloud was spotted on some wheat half a mile away They will be back , so will we ..post-81636-0-12655700-1499581211_thumb.jpgpost-81636-0-13681000-1499581229_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

when I had a lot of land round York 1 of my farmers always wanted the crows he used to hang them upside down with the guts ripped out and he swore be this for keeping them away .I never tried it because I like shooting them sussex

We do hang some up on the more discreet bits of cover , we use a a hazel stem , fishing line tied to one of its feet so it hangs upside down and floats about , no need to open them up it works quite well for a time ..the black cloud consists of about 3 or 4 thousand but they are gone as soon as the shooting starts and tend to drift back a few at a time every half hour or so .Got two or three ladder traps under construction to try and make some inroads , trouble with them is keeping people away from them ..

• Like 1

On a nother note , the bear to comb I have on the butt, with 6 mm foam , has now flatend down to to maybe 2mm , and I didn't realize for ages , no wonder I was shooting low again ,

So it's getting feced off , and off to dove ridge for a proper comb riser fitted

Atb

• 2 weeks later...

Had another go this morning at the black birds , finished the morning with about 23 , picked up a dozen the rest fell out in the wheat and were left ..plus 1 pigeon ..needed another couple of guns out really to keep them moving . It was only the carrion crows that decoyed in the jackdaws and rooks were having none of it ..post-81636-0-64437900-1500659816_thumb.jpg

• Like 1