Dog And Mink Tag Team A Muskrat

Here's a video I've been excited to post for a long time, but I just haven't gotten around to it. This video shows how my pointer lurcher Onsa can assist in the hunt when asked to, but stay out of the way until otherwise instructed. She actually catches far more game than I have shown in my videos, it just so happens that I haven't gotten much of it on film.

https://youtu.be/PwOXfp7g7aY

• Like 9

Would love a go on the muskrats with my dogs looks great fun

It really is. It's a lot more sporting when the water is deeper, giving the muskrat a chance to escape. It really is a lot of fun watching the mink and dog work together though.

Execelent video that pal that shows how much time and effort u put into training

+2 :thumbs: both dog and mink are a credit to you with there training, that dog make good rabbit dog as well , with ferrets hunting in the day and prob lamping , nice type x that :thumbs:

It really is. It's a lot more sporting when the water is deeper, giving the muskrat a chance to escape. It really is a lot of fun watching the mink and dog work together though.

I bet mate. Shame we dont get them in the uk

Has the mink or dog ever had any injerys from the rats

Execelent video that pal that shows how much time and effort u put into training

+2 :thumbs: both dog and mink are a credit to you with there training, that dog make good rabbit dog as well , with ferrets hunting in the day and prob lamping , nice type x that :thumbs:

Thanks! Yeah she's a pretty useful dog. We haven't done a lot of rabbit hunting or hare coursing yet, but we've done a little here and there. She's real quick right off the start, which makes her quite useful for catching rabbits flushed by the mink. We've also had some good luck hunting jackrabbits (our local species of hare). The weather is too hot right now for coursing in the day, so I'm restricted to lamping and coursing in the early mornings during cool mornings. Not that I'm experienced enough to really know, but she seems to be a pretty fast dog. She turns the hares early and often, and easily outruns the two stag hounds and her brother that she has run with on hare. When coursing with the other dogs I mentioned, she is typically the only one to both catch and turn the hare.

It's pretty amazing to watch her catch up to the fleeing hare and turn it with the other dogs trailing behind. Once the hare turns the other dogs are now in the lead chasing the hare, but she still manages to catch up, pass the other dogs, and turn the hare again! It's pretty fun to watch! As far as her endurance is concerned, I'm not sure how well she does as all of our courses have been pretty short. Either she catches the hare early on, or it disappears in the sage brush and is lost. I have taken her on bike rides up to 5.2 miles long (8.4 km) while riding at a good fast pace, and at the end she still has enough energy to goof off running around in the field at the end of the ride. Obviously sprinting after prey and following a bike is two entirely different things, but it does seem that she has some endurance ability to her, based off of how easily she runs for over 5 miles. But has hard as she runs a hare, that endurance might not be able to come into play if she pushes herself too hard too early on in the chase.

As far as biting prey is concerned she does reasonably well. She's good on feral cats, and has no problem taking half a dozen or so in a hunt without any other dogs to help with the dispatch, and with her brother there to help their record is 20 in a day. Many of those 20 cats were younger, so its not exactly like they dispatched 20 large tom cats, but the total animals both young and old at the end of the hunt was 20. As far as raccoons are concerned, she definitely could do better on handling coons. If she has another dog to help she can take one, but she's not going to be a solo coon dog.

462_1493570463267_zpsuson9fbw.jpeg

My pointer lurcher Onsa with a couple stag hounds after lamping hares in the desert.

04f98b60-c0db-4d0b-8466-cce14be7797d_zps

20170513_015034_zpskiktival.jpg

Onsa with her litter mate brother Tuff with a couple raccoons they have caught together.

received_10212066290119882_zpssauczxro.j

20170701_073435_zpsjdjwxa2q.jpg

This is what most places we run jackrabbits looks like. Unfortunately the sagebrush makes it easy to lose the hare early on in the chase, and the rocky ground can be hard on the dog's feet.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 4

I bet mate. Shame we dont get them in the uk

Has the mink or dog ever had any injerys from the rats

Yeah, muskrats have a pretty wicked bite! The mink is very good at avoiding injury, but accidents to occasionally happen. The dog gets a few bites every now and then too, and far more often than the mink does. Fortunately for the dog she is 30 times larger than the muskrat, so the bites don't do any serious damage.

received_10209017937911757_zps3dhxov8l.j

Thanks! Yeah she's a pretty useful dog. We haven't done a lot of rabbit hunting or hare coursing yet, but we've done a little here and there. She's real quick right off the start, which makes her quite useful for catching rabbits flushed by the mink. We've also had some good luck hunting jackrabbits (our local species of hare). The weather is too hot right now for coursing in the day, so I'm restricted to lamping and coursing in the early mornings during cool mornings. Not that I'm experienced enough to really know, but she seems to be a pretty fast dog. She turns the hares early and often, and easily outruns the two stag hounds and her brother that she has run with on hare. When coursing with the other dogs I mentioned, she is typically the only one to both catch and turn the hare.

It's pretty amazing to watch her catch up to the fleeing hare and turn it with the other dogs trailing behind. Once the hare turns the other dogs are now in the lead chasing the hare, but she still manages to catch up, pass the other dogs, and turn the hare again! It's pretty fun to watch! As far as her endurance is concerned, I'm not sure how well she does as all of our courses have been pretty short. Either she catches the hare early on, or it disappears in the sage brush and is lost. I have taken her on bike rides up to 5.2 miles long (8.4 km) while riding at a good fast pace, and at the end she still has enough energy to goof off running around in the field at the end of the ride. Obviously sprinting after prey and following a bike is two entirely different things, but it does seem that she has some endurance ability to her, based off of how easily she runs for over 5 miles. But has hard as she runs a hare, that endurance might not be able to come into play if she pushes herself too hard too early on in the chase.

As far as biting prey is concerned she does reasonably well. She's good on feral cats, and has no problem taking half a dozen or so in a hunt without any other dogs to help with the dispatch, and with her brother there to help their record is 20 in a day. Many of those 20 cats were younger, so its not exactly like they dispatched 20 large tom cats, but the total animals both young and old at the end of the hunt was 20. As far as raccoons are concerned, she definitely could do better on handling coons. If she has another dog to help she can take one, but she's not going to be a solo coon dog.

462_1493570463267_zpsuson9fbw.jpeg

My pointer lurcher Onsa with a couple stag hounds after lamping hares in the desert.

04f98b60-c0db-4d0b-8466-cce14be7797d_zps

20170513_015034_zpskiktival.jpg

Onsa with her litter mate brother Tuff with a couple raccoons they have caught together.

received_10212066290119882_zpssauczxro.j

20170701_073435_zpsjdjwxa2q.jpg

This is what most places we run jackrabbits looks like. Unfortunately the sagebrush makes it easy to lose the hare early on in the chase, and the rocky ground can be hard on the dog's feet.

Will you be doing any videos on lamping raccoons and hares?

Will you be doing any videos on lamping raccoons and hares?

I don't plan on doing any videos on raccoons as it is mostly just fight, and little to no chase. Either the dog locates the raccoon with it's nose and you don't see anything until you find the dog on the coon, or you lamp a coon in a field and the dog runs out and grabs it. With all the animal activist hype flying around about hunting with dogs, I'd rather not add more fuel to the fire with posting controversial videos. With rabbits, hares, and foxes however, I am hoping to get some good videos of that. I just haven't made any videos worth posting yet. We haven't hunted any foxes yet, but plan on starting this fall. We'll see how well she handles foxes before I decide if I'm going to try and pursue coyotes with her as well.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 5