Cork White Terrier

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They look like old style russells, there is no set type. Smooth,Rough coated, Prick, drop ears, tall, short. What they share IMO is a history of working to a high standard. Kennels that keep a focu

There were several dogs in that era that came from the pound. Frank Lo...... dog Prince came from a pound through Lee in Dublin. A great terrier who was still working at 10 years plus in 83. He appe

TT,   This is just my opinion.   I'm sure if you go back through the lines from certain kennels you will find different types including a Glen and others. There is Fell (A John Park bred dog call

Posted Images

Is there glen of imaal in any of them?

TT,

This is just my opinion.

I'm sure if you go back through the lines from certain kennels you will find different types including a Glen and others.

There is Fell (A John Park bred dog called Fury), English Bull and Staff (Many times), White lakeland (it is claimed in the famous Tip)

Back in the 70's men will remember Pedigree Wire and Smooth Fox terriers that made their way into working kennels.

If they worked well they were kept, simple as that.

These are not pedigree dogs like some modern terriers.

Outcrossing to a working dog that may not have the same colour or coat type is not a mortal sin.

The men who kept these lines in the past when others jumped on the imported dog bandwagon are independent minded characters.

They care little for reputations or money. They are a breath of fresh air in the hunting world.

These Cork dogs are not special, they are workers and like all working lines they will have good dogs and failures.

It is how these failures are managed is what separated these men from others.

• Like 18

TT,

This is just my opinion.

I'm sure if you go back through the lines from certain kennels you will find different types including a Glen and others.

There is Fell (A John Park bred dog called Fury), English Bull and Staff (Many times), White lakeland (it is claimed in the famous Tip)

Back in the 70's men will remember Pedigree Wire and Smooth Fox terriers that made their way into working kennels.

Outcrossing to a working dog that may not have the same colour or coat type is not a mortal sin.

The men who kept these lines in the past when others jumped on the imported dog bandwagon are independent minded characters.

They care little for reputations or money. They are a breath of fresh air in the hunting world.

These Cork dogs are not special, they are workers and like all working lines they will have good dogs and failures.

Did Tips line not go back to a dog from unknown breeding from the pound

TT,

This is just my opinion.

There were several dogs in that era that came from the pound.

Frank Lo...... dog Prince came from a pound through Lee in Dublin.

A great terrier who was still working at 10 years plus in 83. He appears in some lines.

At that time 1970 to 1980 in that area terriers were not generally line bred.

That came later for most.

Frank called it chance breeding and there were many dogs that did not produce even though there top class.

The reason that some lines or breedings gelled is a topic that has many opinions.

It was not all down to understanding genetics, a bit more complicated than that.

A concentration on a single dog (as in the case of Tommy Re...... Gripton bitch earlier or Norhsiders use of Tip later)

could have been what was needed. But that should not take from the dogs that were in kennels at the time.

It was not one white dog from Dublin or the UK that started this type, they were there already.

Tip is not in every line and some men think this OK.

The picture below shows Cork terriermen in the 50's.

The Cork white dogs would look like this today in some yards.

AND there is a solid coloured dog amongst them AND the sky did not fall.

post-42222-0-43139000-1499379602_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Cork whites,another money spinner? Bit like white lakelands,and the black fell,which suddenly became the patterdale,really? What next?

don't know what your liking the post for Cooney when you've sold dog's in the past...jiggys right dd the dog's are in the hands of men who wouldn't entertain a Messer these white dog's are all over Ireland and money can't buy them

I liked his post because he's right.

And you've told lies about me before and then apologized and then more lies and there you're at it again.

Now Mixedgrill I probably dug to a Cork terrier before you were born and definitely know more about them than you and most of the so called experts on here.

Did you know there's also Red fell in them ? That doesn't get mentioned.

When a few lads had them in Cork they were good but now they're everywhere and getting a bad reputation. I know one lad who got 4 from Cork and none worked out and I know of one bitch who came off after half an hour and was bred from.

Pictures can be misleading so before the English boys get all star struck you should tell them that Cork white terriers are often over 30 lbs weight and 18 inches tall so how can game get by them but it seems to be. It's even harder to believe when there's 2 of them in the ground.

The sooner the Cork terrier gets a bad reputation the better for the type because the messers will move on and the type will stay in the hands of the chaps who had them at the start, had them when they were good and will have them when the messers have forgotten them.

And some of these decent men are friends of mine.

And before anyone starts saying Cooney's ruined another thread it was the liar Mixedgrill who started it. I don't like replying to trolls who know nothing of working terrier but when they tell lies about me I have a right to respond.

That's all I'll say on the subject and Mixedgrill in future you and Saucey Scutters should reply to my PMs where I ask you to explain the lies, but you's wont because yous are yellow bellied curs.

listen whiskey nose why dont ya f**k off and stop making a COCK out of yourself ( which you done so spectacularly a few weeks back ha ha ).
  • Like 1

TT,

This is just my opinion.

A great terrier who was still working at 10 years plus in 83. He appears in some lines.

Frank called it chance breeding and there were many dogs that did not produce even though there top class.

The reason that some lines or breedings gelled is a topic that has many opinions.

It was not all down to understanding genetics, a bit more complicated than that.

A concentration on a single dog (as in the case of Tommy Re...... Gripton bitch earlier or Norhsiders use of Tip later)

could have been what was needed. But that should not take from the dogs that were in kennels at the time.

It was not one white dog from Dublin or the UK that started this type, they were there already.

attachicon.gifCork Terrierman 50's.jpg

brilliant picture... Edited by Mixedgrill
  • Like 2

TT,

This is just my opinion.

attachicon.gifCork Terrierman 50's.jpg

. The first terriers I ever see dig were russells of that very type p3d 20 year ago or more now all the one family of dogs got some good days out with them the lad that kept still has the same line.
  • Like 2

dogs have got much bigger than those in the pic

I agree the white so called cork dogs that i have seen in the last number of years are much bigger dogs.There is a chap not too far from me that runs this line of dogs on for other lads and i have dug over a few of these,some good some useless some middle of the road so to speak but the size variation is unreal,from diggable terriers to monsters and in theory it could not be any different with the breedinf thats in them as not all will throw to the russell.I was speaking with 2 lads from cork recently and both said that the dogs have gone up in size big time and these lads keep the white dogs one is a son of a very respected man in cork and maybe 1 of the original breeders of these dogs.I also had 1 of them myself years back that was a very usefull terrier bred by SB and given up to the chap beside me to rear on.My own dogs got stolen and i was given this dog to help me out.He was low to the ground but the size of his head and lenght of his back left him looking like something from a horror film,bandy front legs but he could work and worked well,i also seen his litter siblings and the comparison was unreal,they were huge dogs and not suitable for most earths in the area.I also seen some at the w-meath show a few year back and although biggish they were diggable.Imo a lot of breeding has to be done with them to get the ideal size so to speak and also a lot of culling but fair play to the lads that have stuck with them and kept that line going.

• Like 6

dogs have got much bigger than those in the pic

Do you mean all terriers or just Cork terriers?

The original Irish terriers ( the red show dog today) had 2 classes at the first shows in the 1870's

Under 7 lb and over 7 lb

Captain Edwards favourite "Sealyham" weighed 12 lb.

The Border terrier Fury weighd 12 lb in 1905

Terriers have definitely become bigger.

"Horses for courses" is an old saying that applies to terriers as well.

It depends on what the breeder needs.

• Like 2