Trouble With The 22 Hornet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems the only people who are slating the 22 hornet are people who haven't owned one. I think they are fantastic little guns.

From the shooting that me and a mate have done with 22H and 17H, we kind of agreed that my 22H would have more smack sub 200 yards on the foxes. You really need another calibre for foxes past that i.e

can you get it borescoped to check if it is rust ? next if it is you may be able to get a reamer put through the chamber to tidy it up again ,thats if you have a smith with one , next option if you fa

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies lads, i have something going on with Glyn {devon flighter] at the moment and hopefully we can sort something out, Glyn has been a great help, many thanks Glyn for your time and patience.

There is no way i would swap the 22 for a 17, if i was going to change i would get a 223.

The prices i have been quoted for a new cz are more than i have been quoted for a ruger by at least £200.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies lads, i have something going on with Glyn {devon flighter] at the moment and hopefully we can sort something out, Glyn has been a great help, many thanks Glyn for your time and patience.

There is no way i would swap the 22 for a 17, if i was going to change i would get a 223.

The prices i have been quoted for a new cz are more than i have been quoted for a ruger by at least £200.

Must be something to do with availability. When I was in the market for a 22 hornet only last year, CZs were £825 and Rugers were well over a grand.

A 17 hornet is not "more capable" than a 22 hornet. It's just a different calibre. IMHO although a 17 hornet is capable of taking foxes, it is marginal.

How can you simply trade in a 22 for a 17 you don't have on your ticket?

From the shooting that me and a mate have done with 22H and 17H, we kind of agreed that my 22H would have more smack sub 200 yards on the foxes. You really need another calibre for foxes past that i.e. 223/243.

Varminting wise, my 22H using 40gr V-Max @ 3,000fps will keep up with his 17H all day long out to 300+ yards. I've dropped rabbits at over 300 yards, out to 405 yards (on film) with the 22H in good conditions.

Both calibres are limited in the wind, but in my experience neither are "better" than the other. I wouldn't trade my CZ527 22H for a 17H. It's probably more accurate than my Tikka T3 Varmint 223

post-64187-0-03048500-1498846026_thumb.png

post-64187-0-58021000-1498846036_thumb.png

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 2

Elliott, how much drop are you allowing for at 300yds, i zero mine at 100 and it is the same at 150 but at 200 its 6 inch low.

I zero at 100 because i only use it at night with a pulsar apex 75.

Can't remember to be honest, I just go off whatever Strelock Pro tells me. Quick rangefind and wind measurement and I'm away.

The Hornet doesn't take any prisoners, though..

Edited by Elliott

It seems the only people who are slating the 22 hornet are people who haven't owned one. I think they are fantastic little guns.

Not sure anyone was slating it. Some people were just saying there are alternatives that are better in some regards, such as retained energy, bullet drop, velocity. Horses and courses and all that.

A 17 hornet is not "more capable" than a 22 hornet. It's just a different calibre. IMHO although a 17 hornet is capable of taking foxes, it is marginal.

From the shooting that me and a mate have done with 22H and 17H, we kind of agreed that my 22H would have more smack sub 200 yards on the foxes. You really need another calibre for foxes past that i.e. 223/243.

Varminting wise, my 22H using 40gr V-Max @ 3,000fps will keep up with his 17H all day long out to 300+ yards. I've dropped rabbits at over 300 yards, out to 405 yards (on film) with the 22H in good conditions.

Both calibres are limited in the wind, but in my experience neither are "better" than the other. I wouldn't trade my CZ527 22H for a 17H. It's probably more accurate than my Tikka T3 Varmint 223

Standard COL Elliot, have you not tried small pistol primers also with that load..

small pistol every time plus lil gun couldnt fault it at all ,definatley small pistol dropped the es loads and upped the velocity ,i struggled with mag length with vmax so ended up with sbk

Cz 527 magazine's in hornet can be modded longer bullets.

U.

Standard COL Elliot, have you not tried small pistol primers also with that load..

12.5gr Lil Gun, CCI400 primers, Winchester brass and a COAL of 1.900"

Not tried pistol primers yet, but I've head good things.

• Like 1