Trouble With The 22 Hornet.

I have a CZ 22 hornet that i bought second hand 4 yrs ago, it was always a bit stiff on the bolt after it was fired, but now it is leaving the spent shell in the breach, when i finally manage to extract the case they have dimples on one side of the neck, apparently it must have had pitting in the chamber that over time has got worse and the case is expanding into it.

I am looking at replacing it but trying to find another is a lot harder than i thought it would be, nobody seems to have any CZs in stock and they can't get a delivery date, also the cost was a bit of a shock.

I had a look online at a Ruger 77, but don't know anything about them,

Any advice lads??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems the only people who are slating the 22 hornet are people who haven't owned one. I think they are fantastic little guns.

From the shooting that me and a mate have done with 22H and 17H, we kind of agreed that my 22H would have more smack sub 200 yards on the foxes. You really need another calibre for foxes past that i.e

can you get it borescoped to check if it is rust ? next if it is you may be able to get a reamer put through the chamber to tidy it up again ,thats if you have a smith with one , next option if you fa

Posted Images

can you get it borescoped to check if it is rust ? next if it is you may be able to get a reamer put through the chamber to tidy it up again ,thats if you have a smith with one , next option if you fancied a slight upgrade get it re chambered into a k hornet plenty of options ,where abouts are you in cumbria

• Like 1

Totally agree, get it borescoped, it may just need a good chamber scrub, I have seen rifles with the same problem, and a chamber scrub with a good carbon remover like Phillips sorted most of them, it would be helpful if you could put a picture of the cases up mate, but even if it is rust, as DF says a reamer would sort it.

Hornet suffers from rusting. Due to not being enough heat produced to dry the water vapour released on firing resulting in some condensation forming in the bore, especially near the chamber.

Two shots close together warms the barrel enough to air it out but a single occasional shot can leave water in the bore.

Personally, I'd try to clean it as Charlie says. If not, forget .22 K Hornet it only adds a couple of 100 fps and then you've got to reload and Fireform brass. Simply trade it in for a .17 Hornet. I'll guarantee you'll not regret it. More capable round, much faster with higher pressures so non of the rusting issues should surface as it's a scorcher, and it out ranges .22 Hornet on both small game and fox, plus it's much flatter shooting. The big trouble with .22 Hornet is a lot of the ammo is limited in performance so it can be used in older lower proofed guns. As .17 Hornet is a recent development (at least in the named modern form), it suffers non of the legacy issues.

Hi fella agree get 17 hornet waited 6 weeks for delivery in litts for Cz didn't come so went on gun trader 3 day in my locker trouble getting ammo went to Keens only 1 box 23.99 ordered 200 came back 3 days 31.99 told heads gone up in price so bought them (idiot) went back to litts ordered 250 full box 19 pounds box happy days so shop around rifle outstanding livens Stoke on Trent good to deal with good luck .

• Like 1

A 17 hornet is not "more capable" than a 22 hornet. It's just a different calibre. IMHO although a 17 hornet is capable of taking foxes, it is marginal.

How can you simply trade in a 22 for a 17 you don't have on your ticket?

CZ 22 hornets are a rarity at the moment. Rugers are good guns but I don't think they are worth the several hundred pounds more than a CZ. Don't forget scope rings are horrendously expensive for them too.

As said give it a good clean before making any decisions. Each to their own but I wouldn't even consider a 17 or K.

Edited by johnny.w

A 17 hornet is not "more capable" than a 22 hornet. It's just a different calibre. IMHO although a 17 hornet is capable of taking foxes, it is marginal.

How can you simply trade in a 22 for a 17 you don't have on your ticket?

I didn't mean without applying for a 1:1 variation 1st!

As for capability, I believe you're mistaken on foxes. The .17 Hornet has the same trajectory as .223 which is a big improvement over the heavier .22 H. It also retains energy better than the .22H at range and has 60 ft lbs more energy and 600fps more velocity at 300yds than the .22H - the Shooting Show had several nights out on fox and were dropping them instantly dead at ranges up to 300yds, well beyond the range you'd typically use for .22 Hornet, although personally I'd say leave those ranges to experts with such a small calibre:

Most magazines report .17 Hornet as a great medium range varmint calibre with at least calling it the perfect varmint calibre:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/ammunition/17-hornet-calibre-review

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/17-hornet-how-i-discovered-perfect-predator-round

I've yet to see a bad report about it anywhere.

Edited by Alsone

It's obvious you are a fan of the 17. No problem with that, but 300 yard foxes with a 17 is plain stupid. If you want to shoot foxes at that range use a 223/243/22-250 etc. Just because something can in theory do something, still doesn't make it the right tool for the job. I don't get this obsession with maximum range as most stuff I shoot is well within 200 yards and my 22 knocks them as flat as anything else could.

Note that the last 3 people to reply to this before you also wouldn't choose the 17. There has to be a reason for that.

Most importantly the OP is have problems with his 22 hornet and was asking about a Ruger 22 hornet as a possible replacement. He didn't ask what calibre would be "better" - especially as "better" is only a matter of opinion. :thumbs:

The only 17 I would consider is 17Rem.

It however is limited in wind, the super accuracy is gone in any gusty winds.

It also struggles in rain.

Many a time I witnessed a bullet never reaching the target in rain.

Hornet is a very efficient cartridge as is.

Shooting at great distance at vermin just increases pressure on the shooter and something is missing, hunting, hunting is missing. It's just sniping and little satisfaction is gained from it. Actually it soon becomes frustrating.

• Like 1