When Are You All Starting To Get Your Dogs Fit Again For The Season And What Methods Do You Use

We have a about 6-8 weeks untill the corn is getting cut so I have started today on a steady jog round the lanes behind the van for 2 miles slowly going to build her up to 5 miles day to get her fit for the season when are you all starting and what methods do you use a couple of picture of my bitch this morning all fat an unfit from having a we'll deserved rest and the other of her last session fit

post-22573-0-55707000-1498295637_thumb.jpg

post-22573-0-26868700-1498295690_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The repetitive impacts of trotting increases the circulation of the fluid in the joint which allows it to pick up more oxygen and nutrients, these are then pumped into the spongy joint cartilage via t

I don't let mine get fat an hour a day mooching geeps them ticking over so I dont have to do to much with them

Dogs are fit all year round

Posted Images

I'll get them running by the bike for 5 miles every other day for a week or so then up it to 10 miles for a couple of days a week, starting next month. Too many holiday makers about in August so theyll not get as much then but back on it in September and a couple of steady lamping outings to see where their up to. Start upping their grub, both amount and quality as their doing more work also.

Cheers, D.

I recon its best to keep them reasonable fit through the summer. When dogs run unfit they have a markedly increased risk of musculoskeletal injury, rhabdomyolysis etc. It takes months to get a dog properly fit so one that starts the season unfit will be just getting in shape for the spring so will run for most of the season unfit with all the extra risks that brings.
In general muscle and bone density loss begins within a couple of weeks of stopping work/exercise but take a long time to regain. I go for around 80% fitness in the summer with plenty of long runs and ball work so there's not a lot to make up when work begins. No athlete would dream of starting a racing season without months of preparation and although our dogs don't run in a stadium they are very definitely athletes!

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 3

As has been said I am not one for letting the dogs get unfit during the summer for no other reason really than I can't do without getting out for a few hours a day with them and this keeps them ticking over. Never really understood the whole jogging or biking dogs miles on end tbh as it's not really specific to how most running dogs work in the field. Yes it may build cv fitness levels up but so will more specific work related to what they do in the field jmo atb

• Like 2

I haven't walked my for a good few weeks due to one thing or another but il start this week couple of hours a day just off the lead and on the lead exercise soon gets them fit let them chase other round like a bunch of nut cases me personally I've never been a biking person although I have done it now and again just to build abit of stamina but it's not really needed for a lamping dog mine aren't world class athletes I'm happy with a few runs some people go all out when there just running the dog on a few bunnies once or twice a week

As has been said I am not one for letting the dogs get unfit during the summer for no other reason really than I can't do without getting out for a few hours a day with them and this keeps them ticking over. Never really understood the whole jogging or biking dogs miles on end tbh as it's not really specific to how most running dogs work in the field. Yes it may build cv fitness levels up but so will more specific work related to what they do in the field jmo atb

The repetitive impacts of trotting increases the circulation of the fluid in the joint which allows it to pick up more oxygen and nutrients, these are then pumped into the spongy joint cartilage via the pumping action of the joint itself which results in healthy tissue. At the same time joint repair genes are activated to rebuild damaged cartilage. Tendons and their attachments increase in size giving improving structural strength and reducing potential for injury. As trotting shouldn’t be creating major impacts or twists and turns the risk of injury is minimal, so lots of positives, minimal negatives to give a good basic exercise.

• Like 5

The repetitive impacts of trotting increases the circulation of the fluid in the joint which allows it to pick up more oxygen and nutrients, these are then pumped into the spongy joint cartilage via the pumping action of the joint itself which results in healthy tissue. At the same time joint repair genes are activated to rebuild damaged cartilage. Tendons and their attachments increase in size giving improving structural strength and reducing potential for injury. As trotting shouldn’t be creating major impacts or twists and turns the risk of injury is minimal, so lots of positives, minimal negatives to give a good basic exercise.

ye thats it in one :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

Won't be long now jack,start giving em a good walk in the next month or so getting em fit and ready come end of September and start getting the pups out when corns cut showing em bits and pieces on the lamp

Yer Jess asoon as theirs enough cut I will be getting out having a few runs theirs a few hay fields cut hear and their i see to day but want enough to be cut to make it worth going so another month or so start going out once or twice a week get her ready for the main season