6 hours ago, Arry said:

Don't know how you can compare the US with UK as Cougars are indigenous in the US and have reach a population that is as high as it's going to get. Where as down in South Devon even when there were lots of sighting you could only for sure say there were two Big Cats one Black one Sandy coloured. In an area roughly from Plymouth to Exeter and from Prince Town to Salcombe thats roughly 1000 square miles. Hardly surprising no trail camera photos as that makes it almost impossible to work out were they would show up next. 

This discounts smaller varieties of Big Cats like the Leopard Cat shot at Widecombe-in -the-Moor in 1988 by one of my mates Uncle, well documented.

Cheers Arry

This is mainly about big cats and to compare UK to Florida seem feasible, Cougars were almost extinct in Florida in the 70's, it was estimated there were around 20 animals which have increased to around 230 by 2017, they have been studied throughout this time and one of their biggest long term threats, other than roads is inbreeding This would be mirrored in England, if a number of big cats escaped or were released in the 70's to 80's they would have been found and studied. We are much more urban and have higher population densities Florida has under 18 million people whereas England has 56 million so we would be having a lot of big cat human interaction.

Then we would have a lot more dead animals being reported, ie according to figures in Texas in 1990, 86 calves , 253 mohair goats, 302 mohair kids, 445 sheep and 562 lambs were confirmed to have been killed by cougars that year estimate 170 to 450 population. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

This is mainly about big cats and to compare UK to Florida seem feasible, Cougars were almost extinct in Florida in the 70's, it was estimated there were around 20 animals which have increased to around 230 by 2017, they have been studied throughout this time and one of their biggest long term threats, other than roads is inbreeding This would be mirrored in England, if a number of big cats escaped or were released in the 70's to 80's they would have been found and studied. We are much more urban and have higher population densities Florida has under 18 million people whereas England has 56 million so we would be having a lot of big cat human interaction.

Then we would have a lot more dead animals being reported, ie according to figures in Texas in 1990, 86 calves , 253 mohair goats, 302 mohair kids, 445 sheep and 562 lambs were confirmed to have been killed by cougars that year estimate 170 to 450 population. 

Can't agree with the comparason mate sorry. Loads and loads of Deer over stocked Pheasant shoots rabbits here plenty of food for them in 1000 square miles, thats just South Devon. Stock gets killed here horse attacked fouls killed Sheep but it all gets Poo Poo'ed here.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sandymere said:

WWW.DAILYSTAR.CO.UK

EXCLUSIVE: Over the past decade there has been a huge increase in the number of 'giant ape men' sightings in the UK...

Stick baseball cap on him and he could be found in most shopping centres or McDonald’s ?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Another famous moggy.

WWW.LEADERLIVE.CO.UK

STAFF at supported living accommodation have captured what they believe could be a big cat on their CCTV system several times over the weekend.

Had the video a few weeks back but as I’ve said countless times without scaling, which would be very easy in that situation it means nothing, but something slightly more relevant if you were really interested in the subject is the actual lack of sightings which occur at this time each year due to the crops in the fields being high and an abundance of young animals living in those crops so no sightings occur because the animals don’t need to break cover, however come September when all the crops are down and the dumb and young have all been culled the cats will move back to winter habitats and there will be a marked increase in sightings, which shows a natural pattern for anyone keeping track of the situation unless the population just become more delusional each autumn ??

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Had the video a few weeks back but as I’ve said countless times without scaling, which would be very easy in that situation it means nothing, but something slightly more relevant if you were really interested in the subject is the actual lack of sightings which occur at this time each year due to the crops in the fields being high and an abundance of young animals living in those crops so no sightings occur because the animals don’t need to break cover, however come September when all the crops are down and the dumb and young have all been culled the cats will move back to winter habitats and there will be a marked increase in sightings, which shows a natural pattern for anyone keeping track of the situation unless the population just become more delusional each autumn ??

And of course all those young animals being seen/killed by harvest machinery then moving out of crops and crossing roads giving an increased number of road kills would show a natural pattern......or not?.

WWW.INDIATIMES.COM

Female leopards often stray into sugarcane fields and rely heavily on the tall crop to shield their offspring from predators and human intervention.

5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

And of course all those young animals being seen/killed by harvest machinery then moving out of crops and crossing roads giving an increased number of road kills would show a natural pattern......or not?.

WWW.INDIATIMES.COM

Female leopards often stray into sugarcane fields and rely heavily on the tall crop to shield their offspring from predators and human intervention.

You need to let your road kill obsession go mate, it happens in the states with pumas, the link you have put up pretty much confirms what I was trying to tell you but again your more interested in trying to prove me wrong than look at it from a different angle, ?

• 1 month later...
  • paulus locked this topic