Ok ..Never mind pics of this elusive feline .Thats far too much to ask on this crowded island .
500 cats ....

Lets say they kill every 3 days ,probably more if it’s a small item .

Thats 500 carcasses a week or more ,26,000 carcasses a year .
In this thread ,the messiah stated big cats in this country don’t need to take kills up trees because they have no other competitors .
Reasonable thinking but where then are those carcasses considering the amount of dog walkers ,general public that would surely stumble on  something covered over in the manner of a large cat .Carrion eaters would be on it despite it covered .Crows ,ravens ,magpies ,buzzards and kites have far keener eyes than any cat can cover up .Badgers ,foxes and dogs would be pulling carcasses about and any cat rushing to defend a kill would create such hysteria among our wildlife ,birds mainly ,I’d imagine someone would hear it and investigate .

Perhaps all this happens out the way and never found ,seen ,heard or discussed or perhaps it’s conveniently overlooked and hoped it dosnt get in the way of a good myth .

You can’t have it both ways ,even if there are just a handful same applies .To state they are there without conclusive proof is foolish and makes the teller look foolish in my eyes .

Discussion is good but when does  it become a piss take we are all supposed to buy into .

I know if the wildlife kicks up and I’m out I go straight there hoping to see one of our predators in action and have come across all the usual suspects .Im told my area is rife with large cats but sadly not a whiff of anything concrete from those who try justify this .

Hunting is up and running again this year thankfully ,we’ll see if any cats are bushed  ,mobbed or shot .

All I see from the yes camp is critique of the no camp with nothing to back up an argument except more of the same .
Educated people need facts not fiction to make an educated opinion on anything of this magnitude it’s really very simple .

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

I knew a Scottish vet, in the Middle East, who was given a full grown, male lion to put down by a prince who had tired of it.

It was so tame the vet decided to keep it, I must admit i was more than a bit nervous sitting around the pool with a lion wandering around !

Anyhow, it didn't take the vet long to realise how ruinously expensive it was was to just feed the thing, and it soon went !

My point is, you need to be an Arab prince, a Gaddaffi or a Columbian drug cartel warlord to be able to afford to keep these big cats ! So, I guess the people in counties like this who thought it was a good idea to keep a big cat, soon realised the error of their ways, and some would undoubtedly have been released, but did they survive and breed ? I'd say the odds were against it !

Cheers.

• Like 1

All the people genuinely interested in this topic seem to have gone leaving it as a FD echo chamber. 

FD - We know you don't believe, so how many times do you have to tell us you don't? No-one is trying to MAKE you believe. This forum is a place for people to kick ideas back and forth, not to keep having digs at other members. That goes for both sides of the argument.

I've deleted pages of nonsense that ruin the thread and make the site look bad to any outsiders reading it. I don't want to lock it. I don't want to delete it, but I'm sure as hell not going to waste any more time deleting stuff. 

I've asked nicely twice now.

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

All the people genuinely interested in this topic seem to have gone leaving it as a FD echo chamber. 

FD - We know you don't believe, so how many times do you have to tell us you don't? No-one is trying to MAKE you believe. This forum is a place for people to kick ideas back and forth, not to keep having digs at other members. That goes for both sides of the argument.

I've deleted pages of nonsense that ruin the thread and make the site look bad to any outsiders reading it. I don't want to lock it. I don't want to delete it, but I'm sure as hell not going to waste any more time deleting stuff. 

Thanks. 

I'm genuinely interested !!! LOL !!!

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

Thanks. 

Sounds like that trigger finger is over the big red button ?

A while back, hybrid cats such as the Savannah and the Bengal, crosses between small wild felines and domestic cats became very popular.

Some will have got "the call of the wild" and some will have been abandoned by their owners when they got sick of having their skin shredded and their homes ruined !

These cats would have gone feral, and had a far greater chance of survival, and breeding with normal feral cats than big wild cats.

Some of them are quite large and look remarkably like leopards ;

IMG_1316.JPG.ffce2e99a10862b81b5987075d6a6601.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG.374509523386d6419c242e8c83c1474c.JPG

Now we all know about the lampers with their "200 yard slips", which are more like 50 yards;  and the coursers with their "6 minute runs" , which are more like a minute and a half. So a big feral hybrid could easily be mistaken for something larger !

Just my own musings and a POSSIBLE explanation for the sightings.

Cheers.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

A while back, hybrid cats such as the Savannah and the Bengal, crosses between small wild felines and domestic cats became very popular.

Some will have got "the call of the wild" and some will have been abandoned by their owners when they got sick of having their skin shredded and their homes ruined !

These cats would have gone feral, and had a far greater chance of survival, and breeding with normal feral cats than big wild cats.

Some of them are quite large and look remarkably like leopards ;

IMG_1316.JPG.ffce2e99a10862b81b5987075d6a6601.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG.374509523386d6419c242e8c83c1474c.JPG

Now we all know about the lampers with their "200 yard slips", which are more like 50 yards;  and the coursers with their "6 minute runs" , which are more like a minute and a half. So a big feral hybrid could easily be mistaken for something larger !

Just my own musings and a POSSIBLE explanation for the sightings.

Cheers.

I have caught a few of them on trail cams same as Scottish wildcats there is no confusion apart from by the casual observer who snaps it on a mobile and sends it to the paper, 75% of cat sightings in this country are black the main reason for this is that the pet trade was supplied from the Malay peninsula were they have predominantly black leopards and black leopards will only have black cubs when bred together, have never heard of a spotty leopard being seen in the uk that wasn’t a mistake or disproven ??Scottish wildcat, feral and Bengal ?

FDAFAF14-677A-4D62-981D-9CFA3B070E66.jpeg

21C37B63-E478-487E-B529-581B3D430634.jpeg

9B9A512E-DAF9-4A2B-AB0E-7A1CEB383B7D.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

See the yes camp getting all flustered again lol .Unable to answer simple questions .Bit disturbing really when you think how many still believe in fairy tales .Should be part of the driving test .If you were driving along the road and you saw a large cat would you 

a)Stop and take a very clear picture or video so no one thought you were deluded .

b)Try and run it over to take that special selfie 

c) Drive on ,because all you saw was a good sized feral cat .

d) Try to convince anyone listening you saw it ,regardless of not having any scrap of evidence .

e)Go straight to spec savers .

Ok, so i skipped reading most the shit that has been spouted here the last few days, BUT i do think you have a point here. These cover up theories just hold no weight. It never sat right with me. The papers are full of shitty sightings, but if theres clear footage, or a dead animal on the road, its all covered up. I call bollox!!!

Now personally, im on the fence. I feel there is a chance they might be out there. Im yet to see proof of it though. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, king said:

It can be done though.if people can smuggle drugs or firearms into the uk then they could smuggle a big cat kitten in here no problem.

There's boys smuggling wels catfish in seat boxes across the channel.... Letting them go over here.... Tons and tons of Coke and hash enter the country everyday.... How many high end stolen motors are shipped out in containers from our ports? Pay off and grease the right palm and you can get anything ?

• Like 2

The techno heads on here should do a freedom of information request on how many cats are seized at customs each year think last time I looked it’s around 10 , 15  and that’s just the ones that get caught, from my own personal observations and based on nothing more than that, the spread of cats has sort of coincided with the deer population, that’s why the animals dumped on Bodmin and exmoor etc can now move around as they are never far from food ?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I knew a Scottish vet, in the Middle East, who was given a full grown, male lion to put down by a prince who had tired of it.

It was so tame the vet decided to keep it, I must admit i was more than a bit nervous sitting around the pool with a lion wandering around !

Anyhow, it didn't take the vet long to realise how ruinously expensive it was was to just feed the thing, and it soon went !

My point is, you need to be an Arab prince, a Gaddaffi or a Columbian drug cartel warlord to be able to afford to keep these big cats ! So, I guess the people in counties like this who thought it was a good idea to keep a big cat, soon realised the error of their ways, and some would undoubtedly have been released, but did they survive and breed ? I'd say the odds were against it !

Cheers.

I'd say the chances of any non native species breeding and thriving, extremely easily, in the uk is very high.

There are umpteen different species of all sorts that are doing it.

Britain has a very favourible climate etc, for any type of cat to survive and thrive in.

Plus, let's not forget, that before the english channel was formed, britain had a thriving population of cave lions, bears, lynx, hyena, cave bear  brown bear, sabre toothed cat, besides other megaherbivores such as bison, woolly mammoth and woolly rhino, even giant sloths.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2

And leopards have evolved into 16 subspecies to live in pretty much every climate and environment the world has to offer, just look how many were living in the middle of Mumbai totally un noticed same in  South Africa, ??

• Like 1
  • paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic