• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

Even before this thread started the subject intrigued me 

i full believe there were releases when laws changed 

I don’t believe there’s breeding populations 

on the other hand I want to believe that there is some because it’s very interesting and I’d love nothing more than to question myself and tell the story of what I though or seen under lamp light one night 

lastly ive true respect for Greyman for persuading a subject that caught his interest and has committed his time and effort towards im sure we could all agree on that no? 

@Greyman you commented once about tracked lynx being released and then it coming to light that they’ve met up with actual cats that populated that area that to me would be the best evidence and obviously most intriguing as they i sure mentioned keilder forest not far from me and a friends brother who puts roads in for logging down there told me a story one day about his personal sighting 

• Like 8
8 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

@Greymankeilder forest not far from me 

I used to love going to keilder as a kid, wasn't there an application turned down to re-wild lynx there a few years ago? I think they have applied again. 

Have you seen the program where the American bigfoot hunters go there as the brit guy "photographed" bigfoot in the forest? 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Greyman said:

Mate your sticking up new data from a tracked and monitored population we really are nothing like the USA, you need to shake that out your mind as I said an area the size of Dartmoor 5 to 10 animals, if you want to know the reality’s look up a bloke called David Neil’s he puts a lot of stuff on Vimeo, has been tracking and monitoring pumas in the rockies for years 5 days and nights a week, has thousands of images and yet in his whole life saw 5 very fleeting glimpses, you will learn a lot more from him than all your wiki search’s etc he’s real and on the ground 

Dartmoor isn't the Rockies,  it's pretty  small with only about 50% being "wild" Moor. 5 to 10 cougars would have a massive impact and presence in the area. Its heavily studied,  as demonstrated in my previous link, dotted with camera traps, filmed with drones day and night, NV and standard,  naturalist studying the flora and fauna, rangers, walkers, horse riders  hunters  poachers etcetc so in 50 years the idea that a population of apex predators would go under the radar is unlikely. 

As a study area the rockies are a lot more difficult than Dartmoor but still they have a plethora of data on the cougars living there. You state the fella has thousands of photos, why haven't we?

So no evidence in a supposed populated area that is heavily studied by wildlife experts, no road kill, no cubs ever found, no real evidence that a breeding pair has been released,  no evidence from a number of big cat "experts" in 50 years, no images on the increasingly ubiquitous camera traps? Yet around the world in far more challenging terrain there is a massive amount of evidence and the animals are not just known but studied. Iraq 169.235 Square miles have around 25 Persian leopard,  studied, filmed etc in sparsely inhospitable terrain. Dartmoor 300 Square miles 10 million visitors a year and a population  of 33000 residents that is heavily studied, with 5 to 10 cougars????

Ps what has Wikipedia got to do with anything? Please less snide digs and more evidence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Greyman said:

Rare and elusive but filmed and studied rural areas. 

WWW.CNN.COM

Fewer than 200 Arabian leopards live in the wild. Conservationists are working to protect the largest...

Rare and elusive but filmed and studied in extremely difficult terrain. 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Dartmoor isn't the Rockies,  it's pretty  small with only about 50% being "wild" Moor. 5 to 10 cougars would have a massive impact and presence in the area. Its heavily studied,  as demonstrated in my previous link, dotted with camera traps, filmed with drones day and night, NV and standard,  naturalist studying the flora and fauna, rangers, walkers, horse riders  hunters  poachers etcetc so in 50 years the idea that a population of apex predators would go under the radar is unlikely. 

As a study area the rockies are a lot more difficult than Dartmoor but still they have a plethora of data on the cougars living there. You state the fella has thousands of photos, why haven't we?

So no evidence in a supposed populated area that is heavily studied by wildlife experts, no road kill, no cubs ever found, no real evidence that a breeding pair has been released,  no evidence from a number of big cat "experts" in 50 years, no images on the increasingly ubiquitous camera traps? Yet around the world in far more challenging terrain there is a massive amount of evidence and the animals are not just known but studied. Iraq 169.235 Square miles have around 25 Persian leopard,  studied, filmed etc in sparsely inhospitable terrain. Dartmoor 300 Square miles 10 million visitors a year and a population  of 33000 residents that is heavily studied, with 5 to 10 cougars????

Ps what has Wikipedia got to do with anything? Please less snide digs and more evidence. 

Well I put up the other day on this thread Sandy a Leopard cat shot killing chickens at Widecombe -in -the Moor 1988. I myself while out on a fox shoot in the 80's was told by the owner of the land on no account do you shoot the Ocelot, call me a liar if you like but it's 100% true.

Personal I think Many Chipperfield did release 3 Pumas on Dartmoor. But I think the open Moor is not really suited to the Puma. I said I have friend and acquaintances farmers etc that have told me of their accounts and I 100% believe them, why wouldn't I. Only two of those sighting were on the edge of the Moor at Wrangaton the rest were all in the Southhams (South Devon). I think the Big Cats are more suited to the heavily wooded valleys that run up to the Moor like Fingle wood you put up the other day. Loddiswell were there has been a lot of sighting two that I know about but never reported to anybody again heavily wooded  valley on the Avon that runs up to the Moor and Avon dam.

My fishing/ferret pal seen one in laid on road of a country lane Near East Portelmouth when was taking his niece flounder fish. This was a Puma he has no doubt they both saw it, it sat up and sprang over a 6 foot Devon hedge Both liars of course imagined it or both nutters.

Also a lot of sighting at Dartmoor Zoo Sparkwell even keeper have seen them on the outside of the wire but of course Liars wouldn't know what a Puma was would they.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Rare and elusive but filmed and studied rural areas. 

WWW.CNN.COM

Fewer than 200 Arabian leopards live in the wild. Conservationists are working to protect the largest...

Rare and elusive but filmed and studied in extremely difficult terrain. 

Sandy, you believe ALL the science, stats etc etc behind covid,  and a lot of that is absolute lies, yet you believe it.

That's definitely you being more than a tad hypocritical.

• Like 5
  • paulus locked this topic