• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

On 27/11/2019 at 08:46, Greyman said:

anybody ??? 

FAC084F8-CFAC-4F06-8530-60B719E1D4F9.png

As a matter of interest; do big cats shed their sheaves like domestic cats do and if so have any been found around these scratching posts?

On 26/11/2019 at 15:41, shaaark said:

My view on big cats in britain is pretty simple. While there may or may not be an actual established breeding population of any particular species, there are enough ignorant, misguided individuals that do keep them, then release them when they realise they can't cope, for whatever reason. And on top of that you get the not infrequent zoo/wildlife park etc escapees.

And again, let's not forget, that to all the people that go on about licencing etc, of dangerous pets/animals etc, murder is illegal in this country, heroin, crack cocain etc etc is illegal, but HALF THE COUNTRY is taking allsorts of shit, and there's a murder every other week! If someone wants something enough, laws aint gonna stop them

It is no different from the introduction of grey squirrels, mink, etc. The UK is an island and these non-native species can't just migrate across the border like they do in mainland Europe.

On a similar theme the number of non-indigenous fish species in French and Spanish rivers is increasing all the time. Anglers fishing the Ebro are thought to have brought livebaits from northern Europe to use when fishing for the large catfish. These fish, roach and bream, suddenly started turning up in catches in the 1970's as a result of the escapees ans unused fish being tipped into the river. The Wels catfish itself was thought to have been introduced by a German angler and no populates most of the major waterways. And in France and Spain we have nuisance species from America threatening native stocks. Some people just don't think of the consequences of their actions.

8 hours ago, Nicepix said:

As a matter of interest; do big cats shed their sheaves like domestic cats do and if so have any been found around these scratching posts?

Quite possibly they do, but in this country it’s really  rare to find a good set of scratch marks like those in the photo so probably not enough to have found any discarded claw material  in them as yet, I personally have never found any claw marks like that and have only seen a handful of photos ??

8 hours ago, Nicepix said:

It is no different from the introduction of grey squirrels, mink, etc. The UK is an island and these non-native species can't just migrate across the border like they do in mainland Europe.

On a similar theme the number of non-indigenous fish species in French and Spanish rivers is increasing all the time. Anglers fishing the Ebro are thought to have brought livebaits from northern Europe to use when fishing for the large catfish. These fish, roach and bream, suddenly started turning up in catches in the 1970's as a result of the escapees ans unused fish being tipped into the river. The Wels catfish itself was thought to have been introduced by a German angler and no populates most of the major waterways. And in France and Spain we have nuisance species from America threatening native stocks. Some people just don't think of the consequences of their actions.

I know of an area on the river Severn that is being kept quiet that is producing catfish with some regularity, we also have reasonable populations of raccoons and wallaby’s in England, and as leopards have lived unnoticed for years in places like Mumbai and Johannesburg both very busy places it’s not hard to see how they can hide from us  ✌️ 

The discarded sheaves would be a big help to identify the species.

There are wels catfish in most major river systems in England now.They have been quietly catching them on the Trent for about ten years. The small river I used to fish had a few brown trout and other river species, but no carp. The floods of 2007 caused lakes in the catchment area to overflow and all of a sudden we had rainbow trout and carp in our little river. The catfish however, like zander before them arrive by vehicle.

Regards big cats, wolves etc in France; the situation out here is totally different to how shoots are operated in the UK. Back home a pheasant drive might be half a mile at most and involve twenty or so beaters on the shoots I used to beat and take up a couple of square miles or so. Some of the larger moorland shoots or big money pheasant ones might have more beaters, but the area they work still isn't as great as what happens over here. In France the Chasse operate weekly or twice weekly more like the tiger beaters in Jim Corbett's time. They spread out over great distances and beat using loads of dogs towards guns stationed where they anticipate animals such as deer and boar will bolt towards. If there were big cats and wolves in these areas they would undoubtedly be flushed and seen. So, unless an animal managed to get into a safe area without being flushed and stayed there it would most likely be flushed and seen at some time during its journey.  That wolf that was photographed is probably originated from a private owner. Possibly outgrown its home or escaped. The UK equivalent would be an animal found in Cleethorpes that only existed in the wild in northern Scotland. It would have to have crossed the whole country to get from where wolves exist to where it was seen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MH1 said:

After over 30 years of sightings in one area, it is reasonable to believe that the original released cats of the70/80s have reproduced this is happening in many areas of England that back then would have been very remote and ideal places to dump your large unwanted pet in the hope it would make it ??a simular thing is happening in Russia at the moment the first part was on last night second tonight, worth a watch for those interested??

CD10DCB7-311E-48F0-AE98-60A380D124A0.png

• paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic