Winter Coat

@mackem @Ted Newgent

Just taking five now. Had a chat with the kuiu lads and tried a few bits on. This is the Yukon jacket, I like the stuff as you know. But even the fella I spoke to said it’s not meant for smashing through woodland/thorns. But basically ideal for hill stalking. Fairly baggy tbh but that’s because it’s meant as a top layer, over puffer etc. Sorry I haven’t many pics.

The equivalent offering from Sitka felt more robust. It was much shorter finishing literally at my hips though which I wasn’t keen on.

Deerhunter stuff is more heavy duty but again I personally haven’t the confidence in it’s performance.

I still rate Harkila hard shells for performance and tough build and probably what I’ll be sticking with.

5ECD257F-F07D-423D-9C16-BDC3E4A92188.jpeg

838CD460-110A-4EE1-BA13-F11B9965CEF0.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?

I’m sorry have I given the impression I’m tough? Should I have made a threat? I’m new to this.

Talking of Altberg, I received these today. Just need to break them in for my little trip in a few months time....  

Posted Images

https://www.northernhunting.com/en/13-jackets

Saw this stuff for the first time and was quite impressed on initial inspection. It felt tough as f**k and nicely cut and styled.

Reasonably priced too. I almost wanted to be in need of a jacket to justify the expense. Lol

Probably shit waterproofing for the price but equally has a five year warranty! So maybe not....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

@mackem @Ted Newgent

Just taking five now. Had a chat with the kuiu lads and tried a few bits on. This is the Yukon jacket, I like the stuff as you know. But even the fella I spoke to said it’s not meant for smashing through woodland/thorns. But basically ideal for hill stalking. Fairly baggy tbh but that’s because it’s meant as a top layer, over puffer etc. Sorry I haven’t many pics.

The equivalent offering from Sitka felt more robust. It was much shorter finishing literally at my hips though which I wasn’t keen on.

Deerhunter stuff is more heavy duty but again I personally haven’t the confidence in it’s performance.

I still rate Harkila hard shells for performance and tough build and probably what I’ll be sticking with.

5ECD257F-F07D-423D-9C16-BDC3E4A92188.jpeg

838CD460-110A-4EE1-BA13-F11B9965CEF0.jpeg

thanks for the update,i appreciate it

kuiu stuff is too short in the body for me,i need a longer length jacket for the climate here.its not winter weather hunting kit IMHO

the sitka jackets i found that are of a longer length are the boreal and blizzard(both wildfowling jackets) and are insulated.still these jackets are

$600 USD which is around $850 canuck,then i need the trousers at $400 USD.i am getting close to $1600 cad.

it only this time of year i go ripping thru the bush chasing quarry so i need tough warm stuff.the only sitka jacket i seen in cabelas

was thin shite and again for layering.

WHY ARE THEY MAKING HUNTING JACKETS OF A SHORTER LENGTH???

i have been speaking with a deerhunter stockist in the UK and i can get a jacket,trousers and gloves for under $800

but i have run into importation difficulties since they will courier it to me,dhl charge anything from 10-25% handling/brokerage charge

and the CBSA want their fckn tax cut of $280.

i am screwed whatever i do TBH

Edited by Ted Newgent
added more info
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

https://www.northernhunting.com/en/13-jackets

Saw this stuff for the first time and was quite impressed on initial inspection. It felt tough as f**k and nicely cut and styled.

Reasonably priced too. I almost wanted to be in need of a jacket to justify the expense. Lol

Probably shit waterproofing for the price but equally has a five year warranty! So maybe not....

i dont have a man bun but not a chance i will get me beer belly in one of those jackets LOL

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I do tend to look for quite different stuff to most it seems. Lol. 

there is an abundance of hunting clothing manufactures

which one is the right one tho??

who said the old donkey jacket works the best??

keep it simple isnt it?

and why the fck are they making the jackets short?

3 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

there is an abundance of hunting clothing manufactures

which one is the right one tho??

who said the old donkey jacket works the best??

keep it simple isnt it?

and why the fck are they making the jackets short?

You want long jackets look into the kiwi brands. Was just talking about exactly that this afternoon.

I like a short, bomber style I guess, jacket. So long as it has eleaticated waist to keep draft out. In fact I won’t buy one that hangs round my arse.

Loads of choice you’re right. There’s no right one because we all value different things.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

You want long jackets look into the kiwi brands. Was just talking about exactly that this afternoon.

I like a short, bomber style I guess, jacket. So long as it has eleaticated waist to keep draft out. In fact I won’t buy one that hangs round my arse.

Loads of choice you’re right. There’s no right one because we all value different things.

ok will look at the kiwi gear EDIT have you a link to it??? all my google comes up with kuiu lol

i need me arse kept warm lol.

my hunting and climate is different hence why i am finding it difficult to source the right gear.

ok i have a blind and portable heater to keep warm for deer,but coyote hunting i am in the open and battling with

extremely cold temps.when we go out chasing boars on foot its always -20c atleast also.

Edited by Ted Newgent
13 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

ok will look at the kiwi gear EDIT have you a link to it??? all my google comes up with kuiu lol

i need me arse kept warm lol.

my hunting and climate is different hence why i am finding it difficult to source the right gear.

ok i have a blind and portable heater to keep warm for deer,but coyote hunting i am in the open and battling with

extremely cold temps.when we go out chasing boars on foot its always -20c atleast also.

https://www.stoneycreekhunting.co.uk/

https://www.swazi.co.nz/mens

Im sure there are a few more but by the sounds of it rain proofing isn’t your main concern. Deerhunter might well be just the job for you, I don’t doubt it’s well made stuff and it’s warm and reasonably priced.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

https://www.stoneycreekhunting.co.uk/

https://www.swazi.co.nz/mens

Im sure there are a few more but by the sounds of it rain proofing isn’t your main concern. Deerhunter might well be just the job for you, I don’t doubt it’s well made stuff and it’s warm and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the links 

it doesnt rain here tbh

we get 6 months of snow and 6 months of sun. Rains in spring and showers/storms in the summer

its not like the UK were you get rain for weeks lol

7 hours ago, baker boy said:

Fck...I was gonna just ask about the Stoney Creek gear, my mate swears by it

That's good to hear. I've only got a stoney creek puffer and I like that. I'd be interested in their waterproof jacket but I don't like the length of it personally. I've heard good stuff about them too though.

I think I'm going to buy a pair of their overtousers in a couple of months but I'll buy in NZ where it works out much cheaper.

33 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

The Solognac gear looks canny for cold weather a lot cheaper aswell

I've got a couple pairs of their waterproof trousers. For the money, it's brilliant! I'll wear the single skin ones with a synthetic base layer in torrential rain and end of day I'm not even damp under. But I don't wear the insulated ones until the temps are freezing because it's sweaty as f**k. I'm not really interested in their jackets, I'd rather spend considerably more on a jacket personally but I'm sure they are also very good value.

Think my bottoms cost like 25 and 40 quid respectively. Def recommend.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1