Winter Coat

14 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

You'll need to steep your hands in petrol for 20 minutes a night maybe longer if you want to go to the body through big Juks donkey jacket

Petril wrecks me flash coat! I want to look smart on a night out on the town.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?

I’m sorry have I given the impression I’m tough? Should I have made a threat? I’m new to this.

Talking of Altberg, I received these today. Just need to break them in for my little trip in a few months time....  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

You'll need to steep your hands in petrol for 20 minutes a night maybe longer if you want to go to the body through big Juks donkey jacket

That's mighty tough talking stranger. Let's see if you can back it up whippersnapper. Draw!

All these 'new' breathable' fabrics are nothing but advertising hype. I have friends who pay up to a grand for 'breathable' waders. I don't know one whose waders haven't leaked after a few outings. I think you young fellas are gullible. The field sports' manufacturers can see you coming. It's like moisturiser for women which claim to make wrinkles vanish and to rejuvenate old skin. Not a scintilla of evidence to back up their claims. I make an exception for these fabrics which repel ticks. They are worth the money when you weigh up the stats on contracting Lyme disease, particularly if you are going to be carrying carcasses. Cotton is a breathable fabric! In any case what's wrong with getting a bit wet and cold. Isn't that part of being outside away from cocooned existence we all live in. Part of the day out for me is coming home, stripping off, having a shower and thawing with a dram. You miss that if you are wrapped in camo cotton wool. If I'm a dinosaur I'm very content being one.

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

That's mighty tough talking stranger. Let's see if you can back it up whippersnapper. Draw!

All these 'new' breathable' fabrics are nothing but advertising hype. I have friends who pay up to a grand for 'breathable' waders. I don't know one whose waders haven't leaked after a few outings. I think you young fellas are gullible. The field sports' manufacturers can see you coming. It's like moisturiser for women which claim to make wrinkles vanish and to rejuvenate old skin. Not a scintilla of evidence to back up their claims. I make an exception for these fabrics which repel ticks. They are worth the money when you weigh up the stats on contracting Lyme disease, particularly if you are going to be carrying carcasses. Cotton is a breathable fabric! In any case what's wrong with getting a bit wet and cold. Isn't that part of being outside away from cocooned existence we all live in. Part of the day out for me is coming home, stripping off, having a shower and thawing with a dram. You miss that if you are wrapped in camo cotton wool. If I'm a dinosaur I'm very content being one.

On the double friend

Cotton is sometimes referred to as the death cloth as people have succumbed to hypothermia after getting caught out, but I must say wool is a favourite of mine, my merino base layer is about ten year old and reminds me of balboas fly attracting chicken chasing hoodie but is here to stay 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

On the double friend

Cotton is sometimes referred to as the death cloth as people have succumbed to hypothermia after getting caught out, but I must say wool is a favourite of mine, my merino base layer is about ten year old and reminds me of balboas fly attracting chicken chasing hoodie but is here to stay 

I didn't know that about cotton. Will have a google. You live and learn..reluctantly.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

my merino base layer is about ten year old and reminds me of balboas fly attracting chicken chasing hoodie but is here to stay 

Just bought a load of marino base layers in the sales. Only used synthetic before. Fantastic stuff. Coupled with packable insulation layer and a hard shell hooded jacket it makes the shittiest weather completely tolerable. And frankly, for some, really shit weather survivable.

Marino base would benefit anyone in the outdoors. Just f***ing pricey!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Just bought a load of marino base layers in the sales. Only used synthetic before. Fantastic stuff. Coupled with packable insulation layer and a hard shell hooded jacket it makes the shittiest weather completely tolerable. And frankly, for some, really shit weather survivable.

12 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Got the merino top and bottom sets from cabelas for myself and my missus,invaluable,well worth investing in AND I even found a merino baselayer realtree top in winners for $20 CAD which is warm as toast.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mackem said:

Got the merino top and bottom sets from cabelas for myself and my missus,invaluable,well worth investing in AND I even found a merino baselayer realtree top in winners for $20 CAD which is warm as toast.

big savings on winter kit over here now

some yankee shops are blowing out the sitka kit FYI

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ted Newgent said:

big savings on winter kit over here now

some yankee shops are blowing out the sitka kit FYI

I was supposed to be coming there next week mate but got an invite from Russia instead.Might get someone to visit cabelas see if they have a sitka sale on ?

On 25/01/2019 at 16:29, mackem said:

I was supposed to be coming there next week mate but got an invite from Russia instead.Might get someone to visit cabelas see if they have a sitka sale on ?

hey mackem

have you clapped your eyes on this stuff? https://www.deerhunter.eu/en/collection/product/rusky-silent-jacket-short-5085

i am interested to see the price in GBP ,i cant find it in stock anywhere in the uk.

i had a pair of their 'ram" trousers and they were really good.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

hey mackem

have you clapped your eyes on this stuff? https://www.deerhunter.eu/en/collection/product/rusky-silent-jacket-short-5085

i am interested to see the price in GBP ,i cant find it in stock anywhere in the uk.

i had a pair of their 'ram" trousers and they were really good.

I had a deerhunter jacket years ago mate,cant remember the name,Ram maybe the same as your trousers?Flung it in the end as it stunk of fish.

I had the Ram trousers years ago. Best fitting and warm trousers I've ever owned but not at all waterproof. What I really liked about them was the design, particularly the rifle bolt pocket which was perfect for holding a sheath knife. Much more discrete than having it on your belt.

I'd probably have another pair just as fair weather winter bottoms. But tbh a pair of moleskins are as good as anything. If it's bad add some base bottoms and overtrousers.

Edited by Born Hunter
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I had the Ram trousers years ago. Best fitting and warm trousers I've ever owned but not at all waterproof. What I really liked about them was the design, particularly the rifle bolt pocket which was perfect for holding a sheath knife. Much more discrete than having it on your belt.

I'd probably have another pair just as fair weather winter bottoms.

I’ve got a pair now and find mine pretty good in the wet ?