Figure Of 8 Rope Lead

There's a lad on here who walks 3 collie greyhounds without leads daily up and down major roads the control he has is unreal I respect him highly as a dog man.

That's the kind of control I'm after with current dog,have had that with terriers no problem they all seemed much easier to train.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or how about this crazy idea .... train your dog to walk to heel ........

The problems you're having with the dog on the lead have absolutely nothing to do with taking him ferreting at 4 months old, but everything to do with his lack of respect for you. If a dog lunges at a

Then train it " to get on " or whatever you want to use ... it's all pretty basic commands really .......

Posted Images

I posted a clip on here ages ago of my 4 dogs all walking to heal off leads including a pup and then being released by me to run around and then called back to heal ... it really is basic training ........

• Like 2

Some pictures of this lead set up for anyone that wants to know

Out of interest how is your dog bred?
Not a clue to be totally honest I know a few of the dogs involved but basically he's lurcher to lurcher

I have paperwork showing his ancestry he has some sires on both sides I think they are the old bloodline ?

He looks like my bearded half cross and he's an absolute pain in the arse that's why I asked.

Some pictures of this lead set up for anyone that wants to know

Out of interest how is your dog bred?
Not a clue to be totally honest I know a few of the dogs involved but basically he's lurcher to lurcher

I have paperwork showing his ancestry he has some sires on both sides I think they are the old bloodline ?

He looks like my bearded half cross and he's an absolute pain in the arse that's why I asked.

Your right about the pain in the arse bit, forgot to say on previous post he is one of Jeff Burrells dogs.

Think a bitch might have been easier.

who wants easy enjoy the challenge lol. I just got back from our walk with dog off lead at heal then released to go ahead then bought back into heel. It is not a big thing but it is too me for sure lol

If his at heel and winds some thing he will freeze and wait for my ok to go unless the target is on the move in which case see you later :laugh:

The little pisser ignored a stop command last night mind for a few steps but I blame the heat he was crackered lol. But my point is if i can do it you will be fine stick at it. Oh if you have worn a command out and its ignored just use a new word and start again but no giving away. I am on my third and final heel command :haha:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

Lad showed me it yesterday I've never thought of it before simple idea good training aid aswell it's alrite training a dog to heal but when you want a dog to hunt on abit they don't wanna move off cause they think there doing a bad thing

Then train it " to get on " or whatever you want to use ... it's all pretty basic commands really .......
ive saw all these dogs that lads say walk at the heal even to the point where I've heard people say I can walk mine down the road with out it leaving my heal what was that a bin bag blew and the dog switched on decided to chase it across the road and Lowry hit him and he's dead oh thought he wouldn't leave your heal
If a dog sees enough game it shouldn't be triggered into chasing a bag across a road unless its dense as fukc .......
well never say never as they say ??

I've never had it happen my self but lads in the past I know have and it only been a heat of the moment freak accident but they are sight hounds that work on movement and if anything catches there eyes there not robots they can think for them selves and they will decided f**k this my instincts kicking in weither he likes it or not Im off

I posted a clip on here ages ago of my 4 dogs all walking to heal off leads including a pup and then being released by me to run around and then called back to heal ... it really is basic training ........

It's all very well saying 'it's basic training' but it's not basic or easy for lots of people (not just me, I'm sure) so Please explain how you achieve that.

(I met a chap up the lane few years ago with 2 working lurchers, no leads, in close, calm..... i thought 'That's what I want with my next dog... )

• Like 2

the answer to the million dollar question is easy. if you know it..... but impossible if you dont. i would be interested in corrective training or re training adult dogs. not for me of course. :whistling: . as i am seasoned :yes: . if anyone wants to do a thread like purdy's progress with a difficult animal then you will have my attention . just as a matter of interest of course as mine are all cool. :angel:

i wont hold my breath as breaking bad habits can be very difficult indeed. not like moulding a pup from scratch. :yes:

• Like 1

My home reared dog learnt to be steady as a pup but the two rescue bitches are learning. I teach the command "back" at home by facing the dog and walking towards it until it moves backwards. Eventually I use the same command for 'emergencies' when out. If a deer crosses our path for instance I will face the dogs and use the "back" command. I am afraid I am still at the stage of having to roar rather than whisper but it usually does the trick. Which is just as well as three 25 kgs dogs against a small 50 kg old lady could mean face plant in the mud!

Having said that, I was really glad the OH had hold of the youngest bitch the other day when a stupid roe buck decided to run in circles around us in the woods. She completely lost it, thankfully the other two with me did not join in.

Edited by planete
  • Like 1