Figure Of 8 Rope Lead

Or how about this crazy idea .... train your dog to walk to heel ........

I wish all he wants to do is hunt up.

I have put the hours in will walk to heel until he goes into gaze mode then he gone ruled by his heart.

This lead set up has stopped him lunging for any and everything.

Think I took wrong advice and had him out ferreting at 4 months.

I should have trained to good standard then introduced him to work.

The problems you're having with the dog on the lead have absolutely nothing to do with taking him ferreting at 4 months old, but everything to do with his lack of respect for you. If a dog lunges at anything and everything while on the lead it is because he doesn't recognise that you are in charge: to him you're just an annoying weight on the other end of the lead. I take all my pups ferreting at around 4-5 months of age and none of them have ever pulled on the lead. Teaching a dog to listen to you is something a pup should learn very young. Not saying you can't turn him around now, but it does sound as though you need expert help, as it won't be easy.

• Like 3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or how about this crazy idea .... train your dog to walk to heel ........

The problems you're having with the dog on the lead have absolutely nothing to do with taking him ferreting at 4 months old, but everything to do with his lack of respect for you. If a dog lunges at a

Then train it " to get on " or whatever you want to use ... it's all pretty basic commands really .......

Posted Images

Feck that if I owned a dog that pulled on a lead that strong I would simply move it and put it just behind the base of its skull no need for anything like that and by having it that low around its neck \ shoulders your holding all its weight and strength when it pulls but any dog should walk to heel as socks says

Edited by blackmaggie

Yes I think if you just spent half an hour with some one with a bit more experience you would find it would be a different dog with some one else on the end of the lead and then you would think ah it is possible after all.

Very easy to get stuck in a rut and think ah well that is my lot. If you just carry on nothing will change as you are now. So you could either go see some one or just have a dam good read up and try stuff. It can be mundane and monotonous marching around the same old field time after time but its got to be done :thumbs:

• Like 1

If you seriously want to improve things, get in touch with Jim Greenwood: an excellent lurcherman and a brilliant trainer of both dogs and people. Here's his website link: http://jandjgreenwood.co.uk/

Thank you skycat, I will give him a call.

in the daytime , never need a lead with my dogs, they will walk to heal no prob, but at night lamping, both were always prats for pulling on a lead , i ended up lamping with out a slip , to try and stop the pulling, once they caught few rabbits they calm down a bit, and then lamp with out the lead no prob,

• Like 1

Lad showed me it yesterday I've never thought of it before simple idea good training aid aswell it's alrite training a dog to heal but when you want a dog to hunt on abit they don't wanna move off cause they think there doing a bad thing

Then train it " to get on " or whatever you want to use ... it's all pretty basic commands really .......
ive saw all these dogs that lads say walk at the heal even to the point where I've heard people say I can walk mine down the road with out it leaving my heal what was that a bin bag blew and the dog switched on decided to chase it across the road and Lowry hit him and he's dead oh thought he wouldn't leave your heal ?

My self I don't like my arm pulled off but I like a little bit of tension on the lead when I'm out lamp or running a dog off a slip not pull my arm off but just abit just my preference

Lad showed me it yesterday I've never thought of it before simple idea good training aid aswell it's alrite training a dog to heal but when you want a dog to hunt on abit they don't wanna move off cause they think there doing a bad thing

ive saw all these dogs that lads say walk at the heal even to the point where I've heard people say I can walk mine down the road with out it leaving my heal what was that a bin bag blew and the dog switched on decided to chase it across the road and Lowry hit him and he's dead oh thought he wouldn't leave your heal

If a dog sees enough game it shouldn't be triggered into chasing a bag across a road unless its dense as fukc .......

Some pictures of this lead set up for anyone that wants to know

Out of interest how is your dog bred?

Not a clue to be totally honest I know a few of the dogs involved but basically he's lurcher to lurcher

I have paperwork showing his ancestry he has some sires on both sides I think they are the old bloodline ?