Shepherd's Crook - Hazel

Anyone out there who makes these and would be willing to sell one to me ? Would need to be six feet in length - its for the lad he's got some Wiltshire horn sheep but a dog is not possible with the breed.

• Like 1

Anyone out there who makes these and would be willing to sell one to me ? Would need to be six feet in length - its for the lad he's got some Wiltshire horn sheep but a dog is not possible with the breed.

Would be a nice present but practically he'd be better of with one of the steel crooks which has a neck crook one end and a leg crook the other.

• Like 1

Why is a dog not possible ??? ..........

If they were anything like the breed I kept (soay) if you showed them a dog they would scatter to the four winds and regroup after! They did not flock together like commercial sheep! Right pain in the arse they were lol

If they were anything like the breed I kept (soay) if you showed them a dog they would scatter to the four winds and regroup after! They did not flock together like commercial sheep! Right pain in the arse they were lol

Soays are more like deer than sheep, they nearly ruined a good bitch of mine. They certainly have a mind of there own.

• Like 1

Would be a nice present but practically he'd be better of with one of the steel crooks which has a neck crook one end and a leg crook the other.

neil do you know anyone that makes them at a reasonable price,,,i made 3 enquiries this week ,feckin expensive yokes it seems,,,

neil do you know anyone that makes them at a reasonable price,,,i made 3 enquiries this week ,feckin expensive yokes it seems,,,

https://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/collections/handling-equipment/products/new-zealand-super-crook

Is that what your after...?

https://georgemudgeshearing.co.uk/collections/handling-equipment/products/new-zealand-super-crook

Is that what your after...?

I think thats aimed at kes2 blackdog,im just after a robust walking hill stick ,crook style

He's got show/walking sticks like the one's in the link above but no crooks made for working. He said he could cut and bend a green one now but it would take two years to season.

If you don't mind a long wait he'd be happy to start it.

He also suggested the alu ones are probably the best working crooks...

Sorry Jigsaw, I forgot about this thread.

I don't know any stickmakers in Ireland and the ones you see at shows are priced to be ornaments. Mink hunting one day a friend tripped in the middle of a large river and lost a buffalo horn handled stick worth 160 euro. A stick should be a tool and at that price you'd be minding it too much.

My father used to make sticks but hasn't made one in years and I've a small collection with some shepherds crooks and market sticks but I wouldn't part with any.

But I can tell you that the most useful stick of them all for hunting here in Ireland is the thumbstick. We have so much electric fencing that without a thumbstick you'd spend have your life looking for spots to go over or under. A thumbstick will hold down or hold up wire in a second. If I can carry one I go no where without one and anyone can cut a good thumbstick.

Just to add, that if a shepherds crook is what you really want there's plenty of suppliers who'll sell nearly finished handles, ferrules and even shanks if you wanted to finish one yourself at a lot less price.

Edited by neil cooney

I have 2 thumb sticks already Neil,and a few different varieties of weird and wonderful types,,its a working stick im after,,i dont spare them at all.. I buy them to use them..as for finishing off a stick...if i went at it ,it would be finished for certain...permanently f****d up....Im in no hurry anyway...i was promised on but it hasnt materialised ,over the summer i will no doubt find one.thanks for the reply

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ahhh don't mention soays!!! I've managed to palm mine of on a farmer friend for free and he thought they were cool to starts with, now he swears ALOT! Lol