Best Calibre To Go For As All Round Rifle For Rabbit And Fox

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI; Yes the 'best' rifle for Rabbits and the occasional 'other' is without doubt the .22 rimfire. A few little hints follow: 1. An HV .22 rimfire is only marginally more powerful in ft/lbs than

When I said HV were only marginally more powerful than Sub's, my point is that when compared to a 'proper' centrefire fox calibre (i.e. .223 or 22.250)which can check in 1200 - 1400 ft/lbs then an

Police like you to start off with a 17hmr , because they don't ricochet like a 22 . Something worth remembering especially in this dry weather with rock hard ground. A mate got hold of some 22lr trace

If you want one gun to do both, IMO a 22 hornet or 22 WMR, but it can get quite pricey if you shoot a lot of rabbits.

I know it's not what you asked but a 22lr for bunnies and a 22 centrefire for fox would be the best bet, although a 22lr will deal with foxes up to around 100 yards.

Hollow point .22lr will kill a fox stone dead at sensible range but your force may not allow it ,its a lottery how the guidelines are read by different forces.You may be better asking for .204 or .222 ,a quick call to the local licensing at your police H.Q will clarify theyre not ogres and are usually pleased to help,i said usually before anyone from Essex area jumps on me

Volume rabbit control and very occasional fox, either 22LR or 17HMR. 50/50 I'd go for a 17H or a 22H like I have.

Its good fun playing with the 22H, especially at longer ranges. I've had a couple of rabbits recently at over 300 yards and one at 402! Certainly fox capable, chest or head, inside 200 yards.

For Charlie carry a few HV rounds. This side of 100 yards, dead fox.

Want pictures?

R.

That's interesting, do you find much change in POI going from one to another?
Some rifles yes and some strangely no.

My current 22, a Brno 2e shoots a little bit high but it is easily dialed out or I just aim low. As it stands I am pretty much on zero at 100 with Winchester lasers.

U.