Colour Of Dogs

Does the colour of a dog influence your choice of ownership. When i was a kid the old guys, mainly poachers said never get a white dog, i presumed this was because of them being easy to see which for a poacher was not ideal. Now there may be more more to this, reading an article in a book in the dentists the other day about cancer in white dogs being more prevelant, and deafness in white boxer dogs, set me thinking do you guys that breed litters avoid colours in the breeding program And do you have any bad experiences because of this .

Does the colour of a dog influence your choice of ownership. When i was a kid the old guys, mainly poachers said never get a white dog, i presumed this was because of them being easy to see which for a poacher was not ideal. Now there may be more more to this, reading an article in a book in the dentists the other day about cancer in white dogs being more prevelant, and deafness in white boxer dogs, set me thinking do you guys that breed litters avoid colours in the breeding program And do you have any bad experiences because of this .

No problem with white lurchers,...in fact, a lot of contemporary coursing dogs are of a white/cream colour....

However,...when the Merle factor comes into play,..you should be wary of pure white dogs,..especially if their coat colour is accompanied, by wall/blue eyes..... :yes:

• Like 1

I like lurchers with flashy markings,black and white,blue and white,there easier to see in the bush and watch running.I don't poach so no need for camo colours.I don't know about merle but there are a lot of deaf cattle dogs mainly the blue speckled ones.Cattle pups are all white when born.

No problem with white lurchers,...in fact, a lot of contemporary coursing dogs are of a white/cream colour....

However,...when the Merle factor comes into play,..you should be wary of pure white dogs,..especially if their coat colour is accompanied, by wall/blue eyes..... :yes:

i suppose before the ban, back then it made not a jot of difference with coursing dogs, and there does seem to be a lot of white/ cream dogs in these types .But suppose (to day) 3-4 white dogs would stick out , on a landscape prob bit more than darker colored dogs lol . But a good dog any colour , and at night a million cp lamp , will seen been anyway .lol

Prefer black and darker dogs myself for lamping and ferreting, because they are noticed less by the quarry and sometimes give a slight advantage over a lighter coloured dog. If it was for coursing, colour wouldnt really matter but id never own a mainly white dog unless it was a russell.

Dottie , my (3/4 Grey x Heeler ) was a handy bitch by day ,..and on the lamp,....

She was mostly white in colour,...with a few brown dots,...she was exceptionally rapid,...nothing much noticed her coming,.... until she hit it. :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1