I was shocked to find out that Sea Trout are biologically no difference to Brownies, basically they're just a sea going brownie that then undergoes changes to it's body to adapt to sea life.....am I alone or did everyone else think they were a different subspecies?

Lovely fish!

• Like 1

I was shocked to find out that Sea Trout are biologically no difference to Brownies, basically they're just a sea going brownie that then undergoes changes to it's body to adapt to sea life.....am I alone or did everyone else think they were a different subspecies?

Lovely fish!

I believe the great rivers of Sea trout rivers of Argentina were stocked from English brown trout. A guy imported brown trout a long time ago as he was missing his brown trout fishing, these fish then went to sea to start the legendery sea trout run off. A mate of mine goes over there, one night he had fish of 14 18 and 20lb, he says 5lb fish are small over there, bloody amazing. Can anyone back this up, just what i was told anyway, ATB.

• Like 2

That could be true about the brownies in Argentina. As they start to run to the sea for better feeding . The vast majority of brownies that go on to be sea trout are hen fish.

I read an article about Argentina and it was rainbows that were stocked into their lakes / lochs and they are now breeding as wild rainbows just like New Zealand and they average over 12lb.

• Like 1

Lovely fish!

I believe the great rivers of Sea trout rivers of Argentina were stocked from English brown trout. A guy imported brown trout a long time ago as he was missing his brown trout fishing, these fish then went to sea to start the legendery sea trout run off. A mate of mine goes over there, one night he had fish of 14 18 and 20lb, he says 5lb fish are small over there, bloody amazing. Can anyone back this up, just what i was told anyway, ATB.

Seen a fishing program made in Patagonia and the Sea Trout were into the mid 20s and they were taking them on the dry using grasshopper imitations and the takes looked brilliant.

It's something I'd do quicker than fish for Marlin or large sharks. It looked fantastic.

Fair play to the lad who put back that big Sea Trout.

• Like 2

Lovely fish!

Seen a fishing program made in Patagonia and the Sea Trout were into the mid 20s and they were taking them on the dry using grasshopper imitations and the takes looked brilliant.

It's something I'd do quicker than fish for Marlin or large sharks. It looked fantastic.

Fair play to the lad who put back that big Sea Trout.

i seen that too neil, some cr4acking trout fishing in chilie too

• Like 1

Lovely fish!

The brown trout were transported around the world by packing there eggs in barrels of moss I believe.

• Like 1

Lovely fish!

The brown trout were transported around the world by packing there eggs in barrels of moss I believe.

That's interesting to know, we Europeans are a clever bunch when we put our minds to it :laugh:

I just always thought of Sea Trout as a separate species of fish until I did a bit of googling

Had a look out again tonight, fished until dark. River just dropping back after a spate, great fly water. Had one sea trout about 2lb which i returned. Had chance of another 2 sea trout, never hooked them and caught and returned 2 brown trout. I love being out with the fly rod, great sport.

• Like 2