Show Us Ya Gundogs

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flairball, whats the success rate on a bird hunt like with a spaniel compared to a pointer type in the US? Over here the spaniel is the 'go to' all round shooting dog for either driven or walked up I would say. In the past I have wondered how much work there would be for a spaniel man who emigrated from the UK to the US. :thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Flairball, whats the success rate on a bird hunt like with a spaniel compared to a pointer type in the US? Over here the spaniel is the 'go to' all round shooting dog for either driven or walked up I would say. In the past I have wondered how much work there would be for a spaniel man who emigrated from the UK to the US. :thumbs:

I don't run flushing dogs but a good spaniel will get you just as many birds out here as a good Pointer will. I actually prefer shooting over Spaniels and Labs when it comes to hunting pheasant in the high cattails.

• Like 1

I don't run flushing dogs but a good spaniel will get you just as many birds out here as a good Pointer will. I actually prefer shooting over Spaniels and Labs when it comes to hunting pheasant in the high cattails.

Interesting, cheers. :thumbs:

I would have to say that depends on certain variables, but if the dog is well bred and the handler knows what cover to hunt the success rate is the same. Some years ago I decided to get a Setter, and put a lot of time into him. He was a great dog, and very exciting in the grouse woods, but we neither killed nor saw more birds than with a spaniel.

A couple years ago I was up north staying in a friend's camp which I was sharing with other friends of his I'd not met before. One of the gentlemen, a pointer trialer, had never shot grouse over a spaniel. We decided to hunt together for a bit to see each other's dogs in action. We put each dog down in different cover, each for an hour, and each dog had 6 grouse finds. And, he shot his first grouse over a spaniel, which he especially enjoyed seeing it retrieved to hand, as in pointer trials they are not expected to retrieve.

The biggest difference, I've found to be the leg work involved. With my Setter I could often walk a small trail, or cut area through cover while the dog worked it, only busting cover myself to get to an established point. With a spaniel I must get into the cover to insure we work all of it.

Unrelated side note; while the Setter was the dog that absolutely put me back in to the spaniel camp, my Setter was an absolute gentleman and always a pleasure to be around. I'd be happy to have him back again if there was a way. Look carefully at the pic and you'll see the woodcock holding tight.

post-101868-0-61286900-1502455162.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...