Nebraska Coyote Hound

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one from the other Dan.   Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute.

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was

This was the Stitch dog that Andy Rocks gave me. I could never thank him enough for that. What a dog! Taught me what to look for in a good one.

Posted Images

If it's on there, he has a video of him out riding mules with his sighthounds looking for coyotes and the dogs found a lion and killed it. I always thought that was a fun one to see.

Is he the guy with the beard?Trotting along on a horse with a pack of hounds looking for mountain lions sounds the bollocks :thumbs:

If it's on there, he has a video of him out riding mules with his sighthounds looking for coyotes and the dogs found a lion and killed it. I always thought that was a fun one to see.

Is he the guy with the beard?Trotting along on a horse with a pack of hounds looking for mountain lions sounds the bollocks :thumbs:

Yup. ;)

Will look at the other thread Dan cheers, I watched a vid a long time ago when a few lurcher types treed a mountain lion it jumped down and managed to escape it disembowled three dogs in seconds, not something to be messed around with, plus I think its a no win situation for a dog.

• Like 1

do you ever bump into wolf packs? I heard they kill hounds for fun that wonder to far in to the woods?

Yes, they'll eat a dog to bones in under 12 minutes. That sounds like a lot of time if your in the open but all of that is in heavy woods and swamp here. It could take you 12 mins. to go 20 yards in a lot of places. It's not as bad as it sounds though. 100's of dogs are run for 100 days all within 30 miles of my house and only 1-3 are lost to wolves each year. It's like worrying about lightening, earthquakes or tornadoes. Just load the dogs and worry about the rest later.

• Like 1

fantastic thread dan thanks for sharing mate.

Ever heard of people hunting wolverines with dogs?

Not on purpose! ;) We don't have many of them in the lower 48. They do over in the Rocky Mtns. some but not like up in Canada and Alaska. They don't build up lactic acid like other animals so they don't get physically tired. Wouldn't want to fight something like that. It reminds me of a friend of mine when I was younger. If you fought him you might think your winning but just wait a while... :D

• Like 1

Not on purpose! ;) We don't have many of them in the lower 48. They do over in the Rocky Mtns. some but not like up in Canada and Alaska. They don't build up lactic acid like other animals so they don't get physically tired. Wouldn't want to fight something like that. It reminds me of a friend of mine when I was younger. If you fought him you might think your winning but just wait a while... :D

never knew that Dan , maybe that why most other predators leave them alone , yeh maybe well bred apbt stay with them a bit, but your norm type stag or other type hunting dogs , they be to much for them . As Teckers said it been great Post keep it coming and any hunting pics be great , if i was younger and single i pop over for couple months , and have good crack at it . i bet dop of stag blood would deff pep up the deerhound xs over here , or had bit to good pit x grey , you get great type hunting dog :yes:

Any Americans had much experience with them, they are a big lump of an animal.

I've run a couple. Still use one a couple times a week. I use them to catch pigs off crop feilds but stags i have raised and sent to other ranchers use them for running down and catching coyotes. They also like to watch them run down jack rabbits which run like yalls hairs. We know them as Jack rabbits here but thebare a far far cry from the little cottentail rabbits we have here.

never knew that Dan , maybe that why most other predators leave them alone , yeh maybe well bred apbt stay with them a bit, but your norm type stag or other type hunting dogs , they be to much for them . As Teckers said it been great Post keep it coming and any hunting pics be great , if i was younger and single i pop over for couple months , and have good crack at it . i bet dop of stag blood would deff pep up the deerhound xs over here , or had bit to good pit x grey , you get great type hunting dog :yes:

bird,i'm sure there's a man down this way somewhere who imported a american staghound.i saw it on here not to long ago.

anybody remember him.?

Even the fishers and otters, which are also in the weasel family, are wicked. A friend of mine told me a story about a terrier that got into it with an otter. He said the otter was just flinging pieces of flesh out of the dog like it was throwing cotton out of a pillow. I think that most of the members of the weasel family are like that. The wolverines have enough jaw pressure to bust up the leg bones moose (I think they call them elk over there). That's some crazy power right there! I'm just in it for the fun and maybe the pelt money. I don't want to be sewing dogs up all night.

Same goes for bear. I like my dogs to much to deal with that. Just about everyone I know over here hunts bears with dogs so I just go with their dogs when I get restless in the summer. They appreciate the help from me and I get to get out in the woods for a little summer action. I'll tell you what! Try standing in a corn field with a few bears moving around trying to stay away from the dogs. That'll get your blood pumping. Damn things will break your knees if they run into you. They're just concerned with the dogs so your not likely to get bit but they are certainly not looking out for you but get in there when the dogs have the bear bayed up and the corn is high...better be quick on your feet, that's pretty dangerous.

There was a bunch of guys hunting near here a couple of years ago and they shot a bear out of a tree and the dang thing nailed one of them in the knee when it was on the ground. It made a bad mess of his knee. The problem with all of that is the men guiding that hunter were doing it illegally and somehow, because of the bear mauling the hunter, the whole outfit got busted. They had been after the head guide for poaching for some time. He was run through the courts for poaching in several states. The problem in that for me was that I was selling dog food at that time and he was my best customer. All of his dog were confiscated and that lead to my getting out of the dog food business. He bought quite a bit.

• Like 3