Nebraska Coyote Hound

Great thread! That first video with the three stags running the coyote I personally don't have any problem with, while I agree that video should not be used as an 'advertisement' sometimes quarry can be stubborn and that looked like extremely tough terrain. If I was on that hunt I would have been well and truly engaged! While the dogs don't look like ace dogs by any stretch, but not too many running dogs perform like a game dog on the dispatch, but I wish all mine would! The second video was basically an execution and a bit of a bore to me...

I really wish I had some of my old clips to show you. I think you would enjoy them much more.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one from the other Dan.   Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute.

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was

This was the Stitch dog that Andy Rocks gave me. I could never thank him enough for that. What a dog! Taught me what to look for in a good one.

Posted Images

Don't know much about this subject..but from what I've just seen on that video... I would have to say that those 3 dogs are Fekking useless.

If Coyote was my quarry and those dogs were my team... I would buy a gun. . . I don't see anything I would call sport in that video. All I see is cruelty and suffering in a long drawn out torturous spectacle.

Well, that wasn't the cleanest catch, to say the least. All that being said, some of the older males are not to easy to hold much less kill. From the looks of it, that was one of them. They are very tough and good fighters and it takes a lot of dog to keep getting inch long fangs pressed into it's face and other parts to stay on one like that. Better to have waited until you've run a few of the 45-55 pounders to talk about shooting dogs for that performance...it ain't easy.

We can all post about what that vid portrays but on these shores we have no idea about what a Coyote offers as a quarry species and how difficult a beast it is to bring to task.Id expect more from lesser dogs though,those dogs made more effort to get in a queue than they took at the coal face,time after time those mutts looked for assistance and id have culled the 3 of them if Coyote was their purpose.A piss poor reflection of the jukels and the way they are entered.

I've run coyotes off and on for over forty years here in the states. The dogs in this video are either pups or not worth feeding. Trust me there ARE dogs here that smash coyotes, especially in sets. The reason they are not always run solo is because coyotes are PESTS, and many want them killed quick and on to find the next one. You can go back years on here and find pics of some of my old dogs throating coyotes, and remember "they are small wolves NOT big foxes"

some of you have seen my old dogs in person and some of you Brits have moved here and I have helped them get some GOOD dogs, men that have gotten a lot out of these dogs on coyotes, and hogs. The bear video of the yellow gyp hangin off a bears butt 20 feet up the tree was a pup i gave as a gift to the well known fellow in Idaho.

Men here are probably a lot quicker to pull a trigger on a failed dog than what the Brits I have met tell me about you guys over there. The negative is you guys put a lot of time in and hand make a dog to success, whereas here I believe we breed bigger numbers and cull harder, improving the dogs genetically where you have much more environmental influence on your individuals.

I have seen with my own eyes (not me) but GREAT coyote hunters take over two dozen coyotes in a day with two or three sets of dogs, but each dog in those sets was a high dollar purchased finished dog, any one of them i would have been proud to own

for example, the black gyp in my avitar was heartless on coyotes. She helped start my buddy's two big pups in that pic that were both under a year in age. When caught those three put a coyote down and held it down and finished. That was the first coyote those big pups had ever seen in their lives and both stuck right in.

The old Jake dog owned by Neal Hardesty never needed help, but he would run him with young dogs and show them the right way from the start.

I have talked to Brits and had them out that were amazed that we actually started our pups out of the black gyp on fox at about a year of age, but they were bred for it and expected to succeed, so yes there ARE good dogs about, but like anything else, not always instantly visible to a newcomer

I still have more respect for somebody that tries and fails than the one that sits back and criticizes or poses hypothetical scenarios.

Hats off to the younger men like Jay or Rick that were bold enough to come halfway around the world and make their dog adventures a REALITY

• Like 2

Your dogs all still down off stitch dan?

Whats left of em yes. He made it look easy. His daughter use to til the last 2 years. She just turned 7 and the miles have caught up to her. She still looks ok on the outside for the most part but she is not ok. I only ran her a couple times this last winter just to show her to a few guys but other than that she is pretty much retired. We just bred her to a grandson of Stitch. We shall see.

What a beautiful gyp. Being sired by your Stitch out of a Jake daughter, man, what a performance bred girl to raise a few pups out of. If her mother was one of Jakes daughters was it out of my Timex gyp or George park's gyp. If it was Timex, she is the black gyp in my avitar. Either way, they were both worth breeding to. Jake was Hardesty's best at the time, but Neil always bought top dogs, had a great eye for dogs.

• Like 1

Whats left of em yes. He made it look easy. His daughter use to til the last 2 years. She just turned 7 and the miles have caught up to her. She still looks ok on the outside for the most part but she is not ok. I only ran her a couple times this last winter just to show her to a few guys but other than that she is pretty much retired. We just bred her to a grandson of Stitch. We shall see.

What a beautiful gyp. Being sired by your Stitch out of a Jake daughter, man, what a performance bred girl to raise a few pups out of. If her mother was one of Jakes daughters was it out of my Timex gyp or George park's gyp. If it was Timex, she is the black gyp in my avitar. Either way, they were both worth breeding to. Jake was Hardesty's best at the time, but Neil always bought top dogs, had a great eye for dogs.

Jake x Timex. Jay's Tor bitch.

oh heck yeah! she had four brothers that were top dogs. On another note, Timex was a full sister to Vaughn's blue dog that anchored the mountain Lion on the old video

Edited by badger

There's a great read on Amazon Kindle, by Rich Byerly of Loomis Nebraska on stags. Well worth the 6$, here's the info and link:

A compilation of magazine articles by Rich Byerly about hunting coyotes and foxes with staghounds and trail hounds, plus previously unpublished stories and a history in America of the breeds of staghounds, gazehounds, deerhounds, wolfhounds, and trail hounds

60 YEARS GONE TO THE DOGS: STAGHOUNDS AND TRAILHOUNDS CANINES' GREATEST ATHLETES

https://www.amazon.com/YEARS-GONE-DOGS-STAGHOUNDS-TRAILHOUNDS-ebook/dp/B071RH1MGG

• Like 1

oh heck yeah! she had four brothers that were top dogs. On another note, Timex was a full sister to Vaughn's blue dog that anchored the mountain Lion on the old video

Well no shit?! I did not know that. Thanks bro.

Edited by Dan Edwards

post-33227-0-10951500-1497982663_thumb.jpgThat yote in the water was a piss poor specimen, i have been over the pond and done a little bit amongst them, i have a couple of mates in canada that run them with hounds and lurchers, and been out with a pack of hounds and seen 30 of them struggle to kill a big yote.

I have had lurchers for 40 yrs and killed a lot of stuff, i have never had anything that would be able to run a yote and then have the backup to kill one.

• Like 4