Nebraska Coyote Hound

Your dogs all still down off stitch dan?

Whats left of em yes. He made it look easy. His daughter use to til the last 2 years. She just turned 7 and the miles have caught up to her. She still looks ok on the outside for the most part but she is not ok. I only ran her a couple times this last winter just to show her to a few guys but other than that she is pretty much retired. We just bred her to a grandson of Stitch. We shall see.

post-11299-0-77438400-1496690789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 4

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one from the other Dan.   Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute.

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was

This was the Stitch dog that Andy Rocks gave me. I could never thank him enough for that. What a dog! Taught me what to look for in a good one.

Posted Images

I would say Dan E that the dogs must be super fit to have the energy to finish one of them off after a hard run, is there any specific training you do or is it just a case of getting out as often as you can and run one down and is it a challenge to breed good coyote dogs, cheers.

Nice pics. Hope you get a nice crop of replacements out of your female. How'd Yeti do last year?

He died the year before. Snapped his front leg in 2. Them kinda dogs are just too damn big and they always get hurt. Other than that he was a fine animal. Throat dog and had enough speed to catch most coyotes once he got rollin. Got too hot though but Ive noticed that in several lines and so have many of my buddies. Its just not just his line. We've ran into it hear and there over the years.

I would say Dan E that the dogs must be super fit to have the energy to finish one of them off after a hard run, is there any specific training you do or is it just a case of getting out as often as you can and run one down and is it a challenge to breed good coyote dogs, cheers.

I road my dogs a lot and the we also just walk hunt them on creeks plus kinda road em down creeks. Its hard to explain if you're not from here. But no there is nothin special we do. Bout the only way you can really get one in tough shape it to run em on coyotes.

Missed the last part of your message. Yes it can be a challenge to breed coyote dogs. Its a challenge to breed any dogs actually.

Edited by Dan Edwards

do you ever use bull x grey for coyotes?

I don't personally but sure folks use them here and there. They're not much good on coyotes though. Even the 3/4s are too slow to be of much use. My buddies that have fooled with em say they get fast enough when only 1/8th bulldog in em. I had one but he was not of much use. He was ok in the speed department but he wasn't much on the killin part. He did 1 single though so I was pretty happy with that. Over a short time though he softened up and then he pretty much quit. Coyotes bite very very hard and they make a lot of dogs quit. Its just all part of it.

Edited to say that the one he did do single there was another dog in the truck with him that day. That makes a big difference as well. I don't know why so I cant say much more than that but dogs know when they are the only dog in the back of the truck. It changed their mindset. A lot of dogs over the years have done one single here and there on split races and such. Its a different world when ya load one up alone though.

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 4

do you ever use bull x grey for coyotes?

I don't personally but sure folks use them here and there. They're not much good on coyotes though. Even the 3/4s are too slow to be of much use. My buddies that have fooled with em say they get fast enough when only 1/8th bulldog in em. I had one but he was not of much use. He was ok in the speed department but he wasn't much on the killin part. He did 1 single though so I was pretty happy with that. Over a short time though he softened up and then he pretty much quit. Coyotes bite very very hard and they make a lot of dogs quit. Its just all part of it.

Edited to say that the one he did do single there was another dog in the truck with him that day. That makes a big difference as well. I don't know why so I cant say much more than that but dogs know when they are the only dog in the back of the truck. It changed their mindset. A lot of dogs over the years have done one single here and there on split races and such. Its a different world when ya load one up alone though.

good thread Dan that, its with anything i suppose really , when they know they got a mate with them, or at last close by, they will get confidence , and after all Dan, when you think about it , they are a pack animal , prob more so if they working dogs and go out with another dog or as you said your self you have 2-3 stags when hunting yotes . But your right it different ball game on any quarry when solo . keep the threads coming Dan and any pics if you got any makes the post alot better to read :thumbs::yes:

Nice pics. Hope you get a nice crop of replacements out of your female. How'd Yeti do last year?

He died the year before. Snapped his front leg in 2. Them kinda dogs are just too damn big and they always get hurt. Other than that he was a fine animal. Throat dog and had enough speed to catch most coyotes once he got rollin. Got too hot though but Ive noticed that in several lines and so have many of my buddies. Its just not just his line. We've ran into it hear and there over the years.

That's just what I thought. Not from experience mind you, just a hunch. Even that Duce dog of mine is a little big for my taste. He's 28' @ 100#. I would prefer he were 27" at 75# but he's holding up hunting in heavy timber, and open ground occasionally. He'll be 6 at the end of this year so he's made it as far as I need. He's never been laid up for more than a week for limb injuries. I don't think there are a lot of them built like he is, or at least I haven't found a line of them yet. There's a guy in MN, up by Lake Mille Lacs that is supposed to have bred Duce's sire Dingus, that was owned by Bruce O'Malley (the July man). Anyhow, if I ever get up there to have a look at his dogs and find something special about them I'll pass it along to you. I'm heading over there for my sister's wedding later this month and I may be able to swing over there.

I like the looks of that dog on the box in your above post. It's parts are in the right places and I like how it's muscles are laid out. She loos part July or something like that, is that the case?

I like the looks of that dog on the box in your above post. It's parts are in the right places and I like how it's muscles are laid out. She loos part July or something like that, is that the case?

No she is not. She is a little too tall for my liking but other than that she is perfect. She stands 29 and that's just too damn tall for a female. 27 is plenty for any female and 29 is damn sure tall enough for male dogs. Yeti was 32 and that's way too tall.