Nebraska Coyote Hound

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one from the other Dan.   Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute.

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was

This was the Stitch dog that Andy Rocks gave me. I could never thank him enough for that. What a dog! Taught me what to look for in a good one.

Posted Images

A lot of people criticising the dogs there. I wonder how many of those criticising have any experience of running coyote?

Virtually none of us,yet if i bred a Coyote hound,hunted a Coyote hound,posted vids of the exploits of a Coyote hound id want to view a Coyote hound dealing with a Coyote.All i witnessed where 3 large powerful mutts getting bossed about and taking their time getting out of a reverse gear,it was shambolic,shameful and the Coyote deserved better.

Any single handed dog is hard to find, in the uk less and less people are out hunting on a regular basis like they used to be so single handed dogs are becoming harder to come across. What % of stags do take coyotes single handed Dan if you dont mind me asking.

My criticism wasn't so much that they ran trebled up it was the fact that even being trebled up ,they still Showed little heart.

Also the fact he done the video like a public relations film and made a poor case for his sport.

Any single handed dog is hard to find, in the uk less and less people are out hunting on a regular basis like they used to be so single handed dogs are becoming harder to come across. What % of stags do take coyotes single handed Dan if you dont mind me asking.

I don't think I'm qualified to answer that. You'd have to tap into one of the families that have been doing it for ages. It really depends on the coyote too. If you get into anything over 18 kg. or more that has any age on it, they're pretty tough. Those big ones will whip the hell out of most hounds that are half again bigger than they are. I think that in most cases, those large ones will stop inside of the first half hour and challenge the dogs in the woods. It seems like they are testing out if they really have to do all of this running or not. In the open it's a different story. If they have the speed and wind they will leave them if they can. There are coyotes that just can't be run down unless there is some big disadvantage. They are to fast and to long winded. I thin that's really saying something considering the speed of the dogs running them. It's really quite impressive when you find one of those. Many of the coyotes are caught and killed in a short amount of time and not a whole lot harder than a fox by the looks of it. I think that's what makes them fun to run though. You just never know when you'll run into them tough ones. It helps to have a good throat/head dog no matter what kind you run.

Nearly every part of the country has coyotes now. It wasn't always that way. 20-30 years ago there were many more places where you didn't see them and only saw fox. There also was a "dead-zone" in the upper Midwest where it was pretty impossible to find bobcats. Now, they're all over the place. The game is changing and it's changing in favor of the predator hunters for sure. I thin it has to do with the number of turkeys around. We have flocks of 200+ turkeys that group up in the winter around here. When I was on the other side of Wisconsin, The winter flocks of turkeys around my farm were 300-500 birds. It's a little obnoxious that the DNR wanted to charge $25+ for a turkey license at that point. Sure enough, the greedy DNR let the population get to large and disease went through and slapped those flocks down to a couple of dozen birds in a lot of places.

Anyhow, it's a great time to be a predator hunter! :)

• Like 1

Everyone has different standards and see things different , to me them dogs are culls simple as no excuses and if thats what Coyote dogs are all about (and I'm sure they aren't ) Id buy a gun .

Edited by DEERMAN

Got to be a fair animal the coyote, if it can out run most dogs and fight like a bulldog and live in some of the hardiest environment,

a good one would surly test the metal of all hard bitten mutts after/ half/ mile chase , it's a lot of animal to subdue after an exhausting chase

be good to see how some of our "famous" dogs like pie, stan etc would of got on against a coyote

Again I it's only my opinion but I'd say they'd be hard pressed just to catch up with a decent one and if they did they'd have a bit of a surprise after only hunting foxes.

• Like 2

be good to see how some of our "famous" dogs like pie, stan etc would of got on against a coyote

That would be very interesting. It would take quite an effort and unless you were lucky enough to tie into one of the older males right away, it would likely take the good part of a season. to find the answer to that. I would imagine that those dogs would do really well, as expected. It would take a good chunk of money but it could be done. You guys should just buy a dozen coyotes and drop them off in pairs around the country side. In about thirty years, you'd be overrun with them and you wouldn't even have to wonder...maybe sooner than that if the timing was right.

Again I it's only my opinion but I'd say they'd be hard pressed just to catch up with a decent one and if they did they'd have a bit of a surprise after only hunting foxes.

That's a good point. The coyotes kill most of the fox. The only successful fox around here have learned to den right close to houses and farms that offer some level of protection. I've been asked to move some fox off of a farm near me because the coyotes were raising hell with them nearly every night during the Spring, trying to eat the pups and kill the vixen. It was a noisy deal and was keeping the family up at night and farmers lie their sleep. Anyhow, that vixen has relocated a few times and every time it's within 100 yards of a different house. She's only moved a mile in total but she's moved four times in five years. She's in a good spot now but I still don't see her pups making any progress. They are all killed off by the time summer is over. I'm sure when she dies that will be the end of fox in that area for quite some time. I won't ill her because we just don't have enough of them. I'll run her with young dogs once in a while but I always slip on her when she's going to be able to hit cover before the pups catch her.

I like having fox around and even feed a few pairs of fox during the worst of the winter just to have them around to run with the hounds. Most of them are grey fox though. We have more of them than reds because the greys don't compete for the same food base as the coyotes and stick to heavy cover where they have the advantage of being quite a bit smaller. They also climb trees which helps them keep out of the coyote's belly. It's a hard life for a red fox here.

Those dogs in that video are no good. That being said single handed coyote dogs are not easy to come by but they are also not as hard to find as some may try to make you believe. It usually comes down to the fact that most people are too chicken shit to find out cuz they don't want their dog to fail. Good throat dogs will always pin a coyote single handed as long as they are not completely gassed when they get there IF THEY GET THERE. The run up is extremely hard on a dog unless you are a bumper dumpin. Plus the plowed ground around here when frozen is a mother f****r to run on and the coyote has the advantage cuz they cruise across it like they are runnin on an all weather track.

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 1