Nebraska Coyote Hound

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one from the other Dan.   Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute.

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was

This was the Stitch dog that Andy Rocks gave me. I could never thank him enough for that. What a dog! Taught me what to look for in a good one.

Posted Images

Would like to see footage of them on bears, wish we had game like u do over their mate

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was not lost in America. I don't now a single hunter that isn't at least somewhat familiar with "The Ban" over there. We have a lot more freedom and a lot more land than you folks do and most don't take that for granted.

If you made your way over here during the bear dog training season (when you can't kill them but you can run them in July and August), you'd get to see plenty of dog work on just about any day, weather permitting. It's mostly packs of Plotts or Treeing Walkers with some other breeds scattered about. If you know just a few people, you can go help out with someone's dogs and see as much bear hunting as gas money will allow. I don't run bear with my dogs but it's hard to stay away when most of my friends are running bears at that time of year. I just go along to help handle dogs and socialize. If you make yourself useful, you'll get called nearly every time they go out. It's also a great way to see country you wouldn't otherwise get to see because the dogs & bears will take you places you wouldn't otherwise go. It's quite an adventure, even for someone that spends a lot of time in the woods with dogs already.

• Like 13

Would like to see footage of them on bears, wish we had game like u do over their mate

Not many people take video of encounters with bears. We still have to be somewhat careful of public opinion. The lessons learned from watching the UK loose so much in the way of dogging critters was not lost in America. I don't now a single hunter that isn't at least somewhat familiar with "The Ban" over there. We have a lot more freedom and a lot more land than you folks do and most don't take that for granted.

If you made your way over here during the bear dog training season (when you can't kill them but you can run them in July and August), you'd get to see plenty of dog work on just about any day, weather permitting. It's mostly packs of Plotts or Treeing Walkers with some other breeds scattered about. If you know just a few people, you can go help out with someone's dogs and see as much bear hunting as gas money will allow. I don't run bear with my dogs but it's hard to stay away when most of my friends are running bears at that time of year. I just go along to help handle dogs and socialize. If you make yourself useful, you'll get called nearly every time they go out. It's also a great way to see country you wouldn't otherwise get to see because the dogs & bears will take you places you wouldn't otherwise go. It's quite an adventure, even for someone that spends a lot of time in the woods with dogs already.

Bears with hounds in a lot of fun. Especially during the training season. Dan, do your friends ever come over to the UP?

Micky- There's a couple of guys that go to the UP but most just stay local. I would like to go to the UP to run cats but Wi residents can't run bobcats there because of some reciprocity issue about trapping. I've got a few buddies up there that have gotten cat dogs from me that I would like to run with...kind of sucks.

• Like 1

Here's one from the other Dan. ;)

Here's my biggest male. Duce is 28" (71.12 cm) @ 100# (45.35 kg.). He moves and bounces around like a dang terrier. He's got a good turn on him for a big brute. He catches rabbits just fine. He'll snag a turkey out of the air if it's not flying higher than about 2.5 meters. He can neck a coyote and hold him by himself and outright kill med. and smaller coyotes by himself also. He has enough brains to be able to pace himself after a loss and track coyotes, jump them and go far another catch when he's in good condition. He also trees and I can take him out by himself coon hunting and expect to get some action. I don't now of a more versatile stag.

Duce is also the sire of a litter of 3/4 Stag, 1/4 BC and they are doing very well. I tried to breed him to a BC female this Spring for a litter of first cross lurchers but I don't think they tied successfully. At an rate, it's only one litter but it looks like he may be a very good reproducer also.

If anyone would like to get semen from Duce you'll pay for the shipping and collection but the semen will be free.

15nso4g.jpg

Duce certainly looks like a rugged big beast. How does he go on the jack rabbits?

Duce has never seen a jack. I do have a friend that just texted me about a hare population boom happening in his area and I'm heading over to his place this fall. He's 14 hours away so it's a bit of a drive but he's got a world class BC that I'm wanting to breed to. If I can make the trip this fall, I'll be bringing Duce and several other dogs along for some fun with those jacks, you can bet on that! ;) They have a thick coyote population also. It should be a seriously good time. The female I'm breeding to his dog should come in heat around the 2nd or 3rd week of October. It'll be a great time to go.

• Like 1

Dan your just teasing us now arent you, its a few months till the season starts and Im getting restless already. I take it you mean mountain lions when you say cats, aswell as coyotes and hare, your defo in for some action then!!!

Duce has never seen a jack. I do have a friend that just texted me about a hare population boom happening in his area and I'm heading over to his place this fall. He's 14 hours away so it's a bit of a drive but he's got a world class BC that I'm wanting to breed to. If I can make the trip this fall, I'll be bringing Duce and several other dogs along for some fun with those jacks, you can bet on that! ;) They have a thick coyote population also. It should be a seriously good time. The female I'm breeding to his dog should come in heat around the 2nd or 3rd week of October. It'll be a great time to go.

Sounds well worth a 14 hour trip to me. I hope to hear how duce and your other dogs go on the jacks. Good luck with the breeding too. Atvb.

Edited to add, what else have you run duce on besides coyotes?

Edited by Silversnake
  • Like 1

Dan your just teasing us now arent you, its a few months till the season starts and Im getting restless already. I take it you mean mountain lions when you say cats, aswell as coyotes and hare, your defo in for some action then!!!

For me it's bobcats. They are more challenging for the dogs than lions. I'm referring to getting them caught and the skills it takes to get there and not the fight.

One of the lurchers I sold is in AZ and NM assisting a pack of hounds on lions. It's mainly used to speed things up after the jump and keep the lion from getting to rougher ground or from getting away. The man that has him is a smart one. There's not a lot of people doing that. There are several men that are using some spring loaded terriers to get to lions in the rocks where the hounds have trouble going. If they were familiar with some of the whippet x terrier crosses that are around, I'm sure they would switch to them because of the superior jumping and agility.

There's some neat stuff going on out there.

• Like 2

Sounds well worth a 14 hour trip to me. I hope to hear how duce and your other dogs go on the jacks. Good luck with the breeding too. Atvb.

Edited to add, what else have you run duce on besides coyotes?

I'll be roading Duce quite a bit between now and when ever I can get out there. It sounds like there's enough jacks to wear any dog out. I'll be bringing 6 dogs I think.

I won't go into everything but he runs canines mostly. He trees pretty well so I take him coon hunting occasionally. I also run him to all of the large birds we have. He does well for a big dog on rabbits. He'll run anything I point him at. I also run him on bobcats in the winter. He's pretty open so if I put him on a bobcat track when there's no snow on the ground he could end up on anything and we have a lot of bear around. I'm not confident he's completely broke off of bear yet so it's a little risky without snow to tell the story of what's really going on. I intend to work more on breaking him from bear this summer when bear training season opens. If I don't, there is a better than average chance he'll die on bear one of these days. He certainly not as easy to break off of things as my hounds are. When he wants to go, it takes a lot of juice to change his mind. If he were an American Leopard Hound I would sell him for being to hard to break from "off-game" or "trash game" (same thing, just what we call undesirable animals). Duce is a cool dog though and my wife's favorite. As far as I know, he's one of a kind. If he were my only dog I would be fine and happy...at least for a couple more years anyway. Duce will be 6 y.o. this September. He's not going to be around forever. I'll likely breed him to his daughter next year and see if I can't make his replacement.

• Like 3

Wat makes bobcats harder to hunt dan, scent, habits, size, terrain?

All of the above. They don't leave a lot of scent and they pull some interesting tricks. It takes the best of the best to catch them consistently, and those dogs are not easy to find.

• Like 1

So are the stags used as catch dogs on lions? Do they ever dispatch any and how many dogs do u lose a season

I've not done it myself. You'd have to talk to a man named Floyd Green form AZ. I listened to a podcast interview of him by some predator show and he laid it out there. It was mostly about lion hunting in general but he talked about Ace for a few minutes. I would think that most folks glazed over that part and never really grasped what he was saying. If you do an internet search for it you should be able to come up with it. I just searched and apparently there are a whole bunch of interviews and I don't know which one it is. I'll bet they would be some good listening. Just type in "interview floyd green lion hunting" and pick one to start with.

He's the only person I know of that is doing it with a lurcher right now. There's another guy that has done quite a bit with stags, lurchers and other sorts. You can watch him on YT. He has his own channel. His name is Brett Vaughn. You'll get a kick out of his channel and he's done more crap than any 10 people you know most likely. He's one of a kind for sure. Have fun with this one.

• Like 2