Show Us Your White Dog's

49 minutes ago, mt11 said:

Haha, I'll be honest they belonged to a friend but they are carried by most everyone over here. Not a tool that I am fond of, if it is tight enough that you need them to clear the holes not big enough... 

I  first seen pictures of American terriermen using them nearly 20 years ago and wondered back then were they any good and I presumed it was the hard ground. But seeing yours I reckon they wouldn't be as good as a proper shovel with the right man behind it.

But then again, terriermen over this side of the globe are still trying to re-invent the wheel and usually they come up with something that weighs a ton and doesn't shift to much soil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, neil cooney said:

I  first seen pictures of American terriermen using them nearly 20 years ago and wondered back then were they any good and I presumed it was the hard ground. But seeing yours I reckon they wouldn't be as good as a proper shovel with the right man behind it.

But then again, terriermen over this side of the globe are still trying to re-invent the wheel and usually they come up with something that weighs a ton and doesn't shift to much soil.

In a lot of cases they do get used to break up hard ground and bust roots, but there are better tools for both imho. Still each to their own...

• Like 1

Your words could not be more true my friend. That’s why I thought I’d put them up there to show that it’s not all about the hunting ? enjoying the last few years I can with grandad before it gets too much for him. It’s only fair that I drag him up a few hills as it was him that got me so interested in terriers the swine ? 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Bushhound said:

Now that's snow ! 

Yes mate and its South Devon still got out by myself. Only seems like yesterday that JR thats jumping through the gate was a cracker could not breed off him, his nuts never drop and the vet said better get him done as he will probably get cancer if you don't. We had bolted one and were following it in the snow scent was crap they had a good run in the wood down by the river.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arry said:

Yes mate and its South Devon still got out by myself. Only seems like yesterday that JR thats jumping through the gate was a cracker could not breed off him, his nuts never drop and the vet said better get him done as he will probably get cancer if you don't. We had bolted one and were following it in the snow scent was crap they had a good run in the wood down by the river.

Cheers Arry

Did you manage to get a pup from his line off someone or did you have to start agin with a new pup? What dogs do you work now? Cheer Bushhound 

Mate they lasted 19 years. If I could of got a line off that dog (snowy) the one jumping through the gate even body would want one, was a lovely dog will never forget him. Would often have sorted it by the time you got to him hard as nails but if you told him off would sulk in the corner of the room. I would have loved to keep his line going. Had another little bitch after them but she was more for rabbits, First two foxes for their pelts 40 odd years ago mate, different times.5a30310ef3b01_IMG_0550-Version2.thumb.JPG.061bfcf9d4256430ab948d26f0f8a8b1.JPG

Roxy (posted before) the last dog I had and sadly missed (rabbiter), Wifey  won't let me have another cut her up real bad when we lost her. Told the lads on here going to take one home one day and say a farmer was going to drown it, see if I can get away with that. But don't do any digging like I used too.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Arry said:

Mate they lasted 19 years. If I could of got a line off that dog (snowy) the one jumping through the gate even body would want one, was a lovely dog will never forget him. Would often have sorted it by the time you got to him hard as nails but if you told him off would sulk in the corner of the room. I would have loved to keep his line going. Had another little bitch after them but she was more for rabbits, First two foxes for their pelts 40 odd years ago mate, different times.5a30310ef3b01_IMG_0550-Version2.thumb.JPG.061bfcf9d4256430ab948d26f0f8a8b1.JPG

Roxy (posted before) the last dog I had and sadly missed (rabbiter), Wifey  won't let me have another cut her up real bad when we lost her. Told the lads on here going to take one home one day and say a farmer was going to drown it, see if I can get away with that. But don't do any digging like I used too.

Cheers Arry

Soon as your wife sees the pup she will be won over I'm sure,they seem to go into mother mode round pups! Nice terriers pal.im after a dog to flush to the lurcher just bushing about tho haven't decided yet what to get .not any better off reading posts on here as everyone says different .i like the idea of a terrier but I don't want to be  in joe blogs field and the bloody thing drops in!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bushhound said:

Soon as your wife sees the pup she will be won over I'm sure,they seem to go into mother mode round pups! Nice terriers pal.im after a dog to flush to the lurcher just bushing about tho haven't decided yet what to get .not any better off reading posts on here as everyone says different .i like the idea of a terrier but I don't want to be  in joe blogs field and the bloody thing drops in!

I'm old school mate 66 now but to me old Jack Russell took a long time getting the breed right, Worked for me but they do vary I always loved them. Most of the lads seam to wan't crosses I can't slag that i've just got no experience of it. I always wanted a JR from a kid and stayed with it. Believe it or not my first dog was a poodle cross terrier (I think Sky) my old man brought home from the pub some old guy was beating it so he took it off him ( you didn't say no to my old man). Story covered before, but turn out to be a great rabbiting dog and would still have a go at charlie.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Arry said:

I'm old school mate 66 now but to me old Jack Russell took a long time getting the breed right, Worked for me but they do vary I always loved them. Most of the lads seam to wan't crosses I can't slag that i've just got no experience of it. I always wanted a JR from a kid and stayed with it. Believe it or not my first dog was a poodle cross terrier (I think Sky) my old man brought home from the pub some old guy was beating it so he took it off him ( you didn't say no to my old man). Story covered before, but turn out to be a great rabbiting dog and would still have a go at charlie.

Cheers Arry

66 so retirement is nr so you may aswell get another Jr. .if you stay at home the Mrs will only get you doing all them jobs you've put off for months!youd be fashionable now with the poodle xs,have you seen how mush them lab X poodles go for?! 

• Like 1

Haha your not wrong about trying to get me to do all them jobs mate, I am retired but I try to get out with the ferrets three times a week told her I have to keep fit. I was ashamed of the little poodle cross at first all my mates had JR's and Fox terriers, I used to sneak out and hope my mates would not see me. But that little dog proved him self a great little bushing dog, I got some stick at first but when a dog can do the job they soon shut up. I will keep working on the wife and hopefully get another JR. Buy the way a farmer I know is crossing JR's with Sausage dog and getting £700 for them. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1