Show Us Your White Dog's

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Sort of like the brindle color in cairns from old bull blood.

I know her breeding back at least 5 generations on both sides and it’s all Russell.Tbh mate as long as she does the job,I’m happy no matter the colour

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Kevj said:

I know her breeding back at least 5 generations on both sides and it’s all Russell.Tbh mate as long as she does the job,I’m happy no matter the colour

No such thing as the wrong colour if a dog works ?cracking looking pup,atvb with it?

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I was going to ask if that had beagle blood. I was thinking of puting beagle into my Russells years ago to make them less dog aggressive, you couldn't even go ratting with more than one dog.

Beagle can be buggers for fighting 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I was going to ask if that had beagle blood. I was thinking of puting beagle into my Russells years ago to make them less dog aggressive, you couldn't even go ratting with more than one dog.

I've had Russells that have been less than perfect when it came to working with other dogs, particularly on ratting days. They were fine with each other, but could be a pain on occasions when a mate would want to bring their own terriers. To be fair to mine they only used to become touchy if another dog would try and join in a kill and do the silly tug war thing, all of mine would switch off a rat if another terrier beat them to it.

But I would never have considered such an extreme action of adding a none working terrier breed to resolve the problem. A bit like mixing whiskey with water. Ruining good whiskey. If I had considered their temperament to be such a problem then finding another line of working terrier without that "fault" would have been the route to take. 

However I do appreciate that things are probably different in Australia in regard to available working terrier lines.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I've had Russells that have been less than perfect when it came to working with other dogs, particularly on ratting days. They were fine with each other, but could be a pain on occasions when a mate would want to bring their own terriers. To be fair to mine they only used to become touchy if another dog would try and join in a kill and do the silly tug war thing, all of mine would switch off a rat if another terrier beat them to it.

But I would never have considered such an extreme action of adding a none working terrier breed to resolve the problem. A bit like mixing whiskey with water. Ruining good whiskey. If I had considered their temperament to be such a problem then finding another line of working terrier without that "fault" would have been the route to take. 

However I do appreciate that things are probably different in Australia in regard to available working terrier lines.

I was thinking of just crossing once but I suppose by the time you got back after 4 or 5 gens you would have lost what you put in anyway. There aren't many terrier people in NSW, it's hard to find a non related working type. There are a lot more running dogs and terriers in Victoria but nothing like the UK for quality. It's like we only got second rate pitbulls and the yanks got second rate  Oz cattle dogs.

Even if we were lucky enough to import some top digging type terriers there just isn't the work for them here with most places in NSW being undiggable and the strain would end up mediocre I think. It's like importing top working cattle dogs to the UK, you just couldn't give them the type of rough work we have in the wilder places here. I think extreme breeds are to be admired in their own country because they will lose what they have without their original purpose.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Didn't know that, I've never had much to do with them. I was thinking they would pack better.

Speaking to a few beagle packs over here. There fine until they decide that they don’t like one of the pack and they all pile in 

• Like 1
On 28/02/2022 at 23:07, Daniel cain said:

DSC_1545.JPG.3a8abb4ac778182ba97548b28038460b.JPG

That's a smart looking pup mate don't think you can beat the parson specially the smooth coated. Don't get me wrong a like the rough coat stuff when stripped out an just leave the face. But it's the smooth for me. It's nice to kennel a looker an to be able to hold there own. Atb tho with the pup 

• Like 1
On 26/01/2022 at 13:31, Daniel cain said:

Re homed the 3 male  pups... my nephew changed his mind so his loss,is my gain,bitch pup I'm keeping (bitch right hand side)DSC_1235.JPG.233d3c436bdea3f146fec0733af33134.JPG

A know it's an old post but there stunning pups any upto date pictures Danny. You look shattered on this picture too mate them early mornings cleaning them up lol. I'm not looking forward to that one bit. 

Edited by Bangersanmash