Sick Hob....any Ideas?

Don't worry guys .....haven't given him milk :thumbs: Got the anti biotics in tho thanks to Joe14s idea of olive oil but went the extra mile and coated it in butter for extra lube and to seal in foul flavour worked a treat. He is unfortunately just the same but the antibiotics have not had a chance to do their thing yet.

Arry's website is brilliant....but the only symptom that fit is renal (kidney)failure which is not good but may be sorted with antibiotics so fingers crossed.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think Vin was being a smart ass mate, just saying this site can put you right with all the knowledge that can be gained by pooling all are knowledge gained over many years. Nobody is putting a

You can be allergic to milk proteins and not lactose they are 2 different allergies. Cows milk is very hard for other animals and sometimes humans to digest as it's hard for the body to break down the

Whats he eating when he does eat?   Have you tryed him on raw food?   I know someone that has 3 hobs that are abit like that at moment but there not wobbly on their back legs.   Eggs might make

i give mine milky water and it doesn't seem to do them any harm.

how can they be lactose intolerant when there reared on milk from there mum.?

Now that made me chuckle. :laugh:

explain then smart arse.i just had a quick look on the internet and small amounts of cows milk it won't do any harm.

explain then smart arse.i just had a quick look on the internet and small amounts of cows milk it won't do any harm.

I don't think Vin was being a smart ass mate, just saying this site can put you right with all the knowledge that can be gained by pooling all are knowledge gained over many years. Nobody is putting any body down just trying to help, and saying what you once thought was right may not be so. When I was young a few years ago now we fed are ferrets on bread and milk. Because rabbit went to feed the family we didn't have spare to feed the ferrets and you could not afford any thing else, not proud of it and feel guilty about it now. We didn't know better and didn't have the internet and believed what are fathers told us. how wrong we were at times. Me i would stay way from dairy, but thats just my own opinion. atb

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

I had ferret with similar symptoms.I had his cage floor lined with linoleum and he ate pieces off of the corners of it and blocked his gut. He died after.Ferrets can't digest and pass through non edible stuff like dogs can.

I don't think Vin was being a smart ass mate, just saying this site can put you right with all the knowledge that can be gained by pooling all are knowledge gained over many years. Nobody is putting any body down just trying to help, and saying what you once thought was right may not be so. When I was young a few years ago now we fed are ferrets on bread and milk. Because rabbit went to feed the family we didn't have spare to feed the ferrets and you could not afford any thing else, not proud of it and feel guilty about it now. We didn't know better and didn't have the internet and believed what are fathers told us. how wrong we were at times. Me i would stay way from dairy, but thats just my own opinion. atb

Cheers Arry

cheers for that Arry.

I didn't mean to come across the wrong way to one of our fellow hunters etc etc.

We all live an learn hopefully.

Fact is ferrets are Lactose intolerant..therefore giving a ferret that's already under the weather something that's not going to do it any good is a bad move.

Mine love a bit of goats milk or that lactose free stuff and on the odd occasion I give em some of that Kitten milk with an egg mixed in.

no hard feelings Ginger I hope old chap. :thumbs:

Cheers Arry

cheers for that Arry.

I didn't mean to come across the wrong way to one of our fellow hunters etc etc.

Fact is ferrets are Lactose intolerant..therefore giving a ferret that's already under the weather something that's not going to do it any good is a bad move.

Mine love a bit of goats milk or that lactose free stuff and on the odd occasion I give em some of that Kitten milk with an egg mixed in.

no thats it,i'm fecking going mental down here.

ferrets have lived for years on a bread and milk diet and apparently looked well on it.i've given mine milky water every now and again and it doesn't do them any harm but i know in small amounts and mine are all flesh fed and have been since keeping them.

but lactose intolerant. i thought all mammals feed milk and all milk contains lactose.?

Vet should have xrayed the ferret had it done with ferret last year found a mass in her stomach said it was cancer, gave her 24 hours, gave me little tins of food full of protein brought ferret inside handfeed every 4 hours gained weight slowly brought ferret back after week, weight ferret and looked shocked ferret was still alive vet hadn't got a clue, put ferret outside when it could feed normal that was that ferret flying it after 2 weeks, normal run of the mill vets haven't got a clue, hope your ferret makes it hand feed him kitten food all the best...

• Like 1

You can be allergic to milk proteins and not lactose they are 2 different allergies. Cows milk is very hard for other animals and sometimes humans to digest as it's hard for the body to break down the enzymes in it. Goats milk is milder and easier to break down. Suckling animals don't get affected or allergic to milk from their mother because the mother has already broken down the milk through her system. Babies with an allergic reaction lactose or protein intolerance to cows milk can breastfeed from mammy no problem.

• Like 2

Cheers Arry

cheers for that Arry.

ferrets have lived for years on a bread and milk diet and apparently looked well on it.i've given mine milky water every now and again and it doesn't do them any harm but i know in small amounts and mine are all flesh fed and have been since keeping them.

but lactose intolerant. i thought all mammals feed milk and all milk contains lactose.?

I don't want to upset anybody Ginger Beard but I will never ever feed my ferrets on dairy again especially a sick one. They never lived very long if you did five years if you were lucky, maybe ten now on dried ferret food or raw or as I use a combo of both, I'm also a believer in a small dab of malt paste every day to help digestion and anti hair ball. Sorry you are upset and ever body to their own. I'm not trying to put you down in any way just trying to help Liongeorge.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Cheers Arry

cheers for that Arry.

I don't want to upset anybody Ginger Beard but I will never ever feed my ferrets on dairy again especially a sick one. They never lived very long if you did five years if you were lucky, maybe ten now on dried ferret food or raw or as I use a combo of both, I'm also a believer in a small dab of malt paste every day to help digestion and anti hair ball. Sorry you are upset and ever body to their own. I'm not trying to put you down in any way just trying to help Liongeorge.

Cheers Arry

no mate,definietly not up set.i just wanted it explained how a milk drinking mammal could be allergic to milk.i've kept ferrets for about 23 years and there

always fed flesh and always given them a bowl of milky water now and again without any side effects.they like it .

no problems here. :victory:

So over the last week I have noticed something not right with my 4 year old hob. Lack of energy , little bit wobbly on back end,dull eyes and weight loss. He is eating but not alot and has diarea. So I took him to the vet last night , he wasn't sure what it was and gave him antibiotics as a cure all see if it worst sort of thing. I am having a hell of a job getting the antibiotics in him he hates it and froths at the mouth and spits it out while clawing at his mouth :( then crushed it up with water and tried getting it in him with a syringe which he spat most out.

Anyway seems much the same today, ate some egg and dry food. He just lies around all the time and am v worried, I know your not meant to have favourites but....

Wondered if any of you guys have seen anything similar.

ATB George

I had the same with two off my ferrets my young hob year old and my Jill who was about 6 the Jill didn't make it but the hob did out of the two the hob was worse at the time, the where eating a little bit egg and mince but not a lot, I mixed sugar and water gave it them in a syringed sat with them both for about 4 hours keeping them warm. The hob got a little better but the Jill went down hill. Just try keep him hydrated that's what I did and it worked for the hob ? Just thought I'd give you a bit of advice what I did because it said atheists same as what mine had.

Edited by OneManAndHisDog

So over the last week I have noticed something not right with my 4 year old hob. Lack of energy , little bit wobbly on back end,dull eyes and weight loss. He is eating but not alot and has diarea. So I took him to the vet last night , he wasn't sure what it was and gave him antibiotics as a cure all see if it worst sort of thing. I am having a hell of a job getting the antibiotics in him he hates it and froths at the mouth and spits it out while clawing at his mouth :( then crushed it up with water and tried getting it in him with a syringe which he spat most out.

Anyway seems much the same today, ate some egg and dry food. He just lies around all the time and am v worried, I know your not meant to have favourites but....

ATB George

my two had the exact same symptoms during the recent hot weather only thing I could think of was that they weren't getting enough water from their bottles .so put in a bowl of water and they drunk it dry so kept two bowls of water in the hutch and the ferrets were right as rain after a few days

ATB George

my two had the exact same symptoms during the recent hot weather only thing I could think of was that they weren't getting enough water from their bottles .so put in a bowl of water and they drunk it dry so kept two bowls of water in the hutch and the ferrets were right as rain after a few days

I have one getting light now, the flow from his water bottle wasn't great so changed it, think it might be the problem

Still not right at all after a week on antibiotics. Pretty much the same ....has lost a bit more weight, still got the shits have been feeding him mince , chicken etc. He has a bowl of water. Still wobly and has no energy. Will take him back to the vets after weekend if no improvement. Think it will be a one way trip. Only thing that all his symptoms match is kidney failure....no cure.