Defrosting Meat.summer Time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know the experienced lads will know this but the lads new to dogs might benefit from it. The best way to defrost meat in this heat is in a bucket of cold water placed in the shade. No flys.and no

They'll eat it frozen or semi frozen, I use a bucket myself but I'm not shy of giving them meat that's froze either

Dogs will happily eat frozen meat without any problems ... same as the ferrets I chuck in a frozen rabbit at night and take out the remains in the morning ... no flies no mess no smell ......

Posted Images

None of us like to feed meat past its freshness but no harm will come if fly free .The water method is a good tip mate .I leave out overnight indoors on a tray

and fridge it before work .Will try the bucket though as will be right temp to feed IMO. Nice one king .

Nice and easy fd.out the freezer into the bucket.then Into the dogs.

No blood on bowls or plates etc.

I fecking hate flys.

I've even got 1 of them candle burner smelly wax melt things in the shed

To discourage the flys from the kits lol.

And the ultraviolet fly killers things on permanent in the kitchen.

• Like 3

I can't understand why frozen tripe would upset their guts ??????

well it did socks ,few lads on here seen it as well,just never took the chance again ( maybe iffy meat, but a couple of years apart who knows)

I never said I didn't believe you fella I just said I don't understand why frozen tripe would upset their gut ... if it was partially defrosted then yes but being frozen means all the bacteria would be dead ... as I've said I've never had a problem with feeding frozen meat .........

• Like 3

Mines portioned up in daily amounts in the dog food freezer in the shed.

When I put their meal down whilst they're eating I get another portion out for next day.

I just put it in a tub on the shelf in the back kitchen, obviously in the shade and it defrosts at room temp over 24 hours.

If its really scorchio id put it in water but never needed to tbh

Cheers, D.

I know the experienced lads will know this but the lads new to dogs might benefit from it.

The best way to defrost meat in this heat is in a bucket of cold water placed in the shade.

No flys.and no chance of the meat going off in this heat as chicken can turn in a matter of hrs.

Here's an example.

Last summer about 28c that day.

I put 4 frozen chicken backs in a bucket of water about 9am.and placed in the shade all day.

8pm that night I pulled them out and through habit smelled them.they were as fresh as the day I bought them.

In my eyes it's a perfect way to defrost all types of meat

I would reccomend putting a clean brick or some kind of weight on the meat.

To make sure it's totaly submerged.

Enjoy the sun.

Good tip that King..All the best ideas are simple. I usually put mine in a sealed container overnight and fridge in morning,but I'll be doing your way tomorrow..

In about a years time I'll probs believe it was my own idea anyway :laugh:

• Like 2

Easier. Yes definitely. Does the dogs no harm so a win win in my book. The wife's 7 month old whippet pup will turn its nose up at a bowl of cooked chicken when the ice pops are on the go so I guess the dogs quite like it.

• Like 1

i would never intentionally feed frozen meat.there's no benefit it's to it.it's just easier for the owner thats all.

you can beat the dog with the frozen chicken if he's jumping up on you at feeding time.??? that's a benifit
  • Like 4

Mushers in cold countries feed nothing but frozen meat and their dogs seem to do a hard job very well.

why do you think so many mushers boil their fish before feeding

On a race the dogs will get the food with boiled water that's correct .. but that's for two reasons ... firstly the dogs need to eat quick as they only have a certain amount of rest time so a soup consistency can be eaten quickly and secondly because the dogs get the fluids they need all in one meal ... dogs in the mushers yard normally just get given a frozen fish to eat .......

• Like 3