Defrosting Meat.summer Time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know the experienced lads will know this but the lads new to dogs might benefit from it. The best way to defrost meat in this heat is in a bucket of cold water placed in the shade. No flys.and no

They'll eat it frozen or semi frozen, I use a bucket myself but I'm not shy of giving them meat that's froze either

Dogs will happily eat frozen meat without any problems ... same as the ferrets I chuck in a frozen rabbit at night and take out the remains in the morning ... no flies no mess no smell ......

Posted Images

The reason I ask is that I would watch alot of the Alaskan shows like Yukon men were the likes of fat pat Moore and the other fella Stan would boil up their dogs grub the majority of the time

You do see them feeding a broth to pups and I'd say if food was scarce a broth mixed with other food types would make it go further but on the whole you mostly see them feed frozen.

Also for those of us who like to feed as naturally as possible when the likes of a wolf pack does kill a large quarry like a moose then after the initial gorging most feeding would be on frozen meat as would any feeding done by scavengers afterwards.

Kings advice is good but if someone was to forget to take out some flesh from the freezer it's not the end of the world to feed it frozen, if you can cut it up.

Most lads would feed meal if stuck for one night where personally I'd rather fast them.

• Like 1

The reason I ask is that I would watch alot of the Alaskan shows like Yukon men were the likes of fat pat Moore and the other fella Stan would boil up their dogs grub the majority of the time

You do see them feeding a broth to pups and I'd say if food was scarce a broth mixed with other food types would make it go further but on the whole you mostly see them feed frozen.

Also for those of us who like to feed as naturally as possible when the likes of a wolf pack does kill a large quarry like a moose then after the initial gorging most feeding would be on frozen meat as would any feeding done by scavengers afterwards.

Kings advice is good but if someone was to forget to take out some flesh from the freezer it's not the end of the world to feed it frozen, if you can cut it up.

Most lads would feed meal if stuck for one night where personally I'd rather fast them.

You could do with a bit of fasting yourself ya fat fooker,lol.

• Like 5

Read what I wrote when a 7 month old pup will walk past a bowl of cooked for the frozen I think that's all the proof I need that she doesn't mind it. I don't feed frozen all year round and not all the time. But when the weather is warm I can't see the harm in it.

• Like 1

Is it not just that those feeding frozen are a bit lazy .

LOL, have you ever hacked or sawn through a block of frozen beef, it's bloody hard work.

I don't feed my dogs food that's straight out of the freezer but manys the day I've taken food out and the day's got cooler and the meat was still more than half frozen when feeding, or I've forgotten to take it out, LOL.

I got fresh beef out of my butchers fridge this morning at 11 and left it covered in a bucket 'till about a half an hour ago and it was starting to turn.

It's very hard in that weather to keep flesh right, bar you have a cooler.

I'd rather feed half frozen than half rotten, but, that's what brings us back to Kings original post.

• Like 2

Is it not just that those feeding frozen are a bit lazy .

LOL, have you ever hacked or sawn through a block of frozen beef, it's bloody hard work.

I don't feed my dogs food that's straight out of the freezer but manys the day I've taken food out and the day's got cooler and the meat was still more than half frozen when feeding, or I've forgotten to take it out, LOL.

I got fresh beef out of my butchers fridge this morning at 11 and left it covered in a bucket 'till about a half an hour ago and it was starting to turn.

It's very hard in that weather to keep flesh right, bar you have a cooler.

I'd rather feed half frozen than half rotten, but, that's what brings us back to Kings original post.

I had 2 bullx in the house last year and a terrier.caged

After an hour up the forest I wanted them to eat there chicken as soon as I got back home.instead of havin flesh in the cages in the house.

Feck that nonsence.

If it was frozen it would of taken them twice maybe 3 times as long to consume there grub.

So the water bucket was invaluable in them circumstances.

I often feed a solid frozen lump of flesh in the summer days and all.the dogs enjoy it.

But sometimes I need them to eat there grub a bit quicker.

Fill them up and cage them up.

• Like 1