Back Breeding

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

by the time the sire is proven to be worthy of breeding off the first time say 4 yr old then you wait for his daughter to be 4 yr old then her daughter then her daughter and so on you wont have that

FFS breed two decent dogs and pick one of the pups put some decent food in it ,some time and effort and get on with it. Stop looking for the fecking super dog and enjoy yourself and your dog.

What a load of bollocks no wonder there's so much shit being bred

1 minute ago, poxon said:

I remember with canarys a canarys breeding span was avarage about 5yrs so you could inbreed 5gen till you would need to add new blood but it’d be a close relative but with a dog an this 5yr graft policy and a dog living to 10-12yr old you’d only get to the second maybe 3rgen of the original dog for inbreeding before it snuffed it 

Yeah that's true mate 5yrs load of Bollox though let's be honest if I had a 3 yr old dog that was showing a 5 or 6 yr old dog up I'd breed it simple as that

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Penda said:

I dunno about that heres1 for my pal a good few years back bred a litter of a well bred dog did it's job 10 fold put it to a none related bitch all the pups turned out belters but unfortunately 1 had a cleft palate now how can this be 

That gene was in there somewhere mate x2 .It’s a lottery starting with the right gear ,that’s why it’s important to do a bit of homework I’d say ,I just got lucky .

The bigger the mix to start with the higher the hybrid vigour .That’s to say the wider the gene mix the less likely bad traits have been FIXED by inbreeding .Doubling up on faults is what causes them to surface I’m told .

5 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Can only speak from experience mate .Father daughter ,niece matings have been my thing for 36 years .I’m all but out the game now but I’ve no probs talking about how it went .

When you say too often what do you mean ,every year ,every other ,every 5 or no set plan ,just breed for replacements.

How often do u breed

5 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

That gene was in there somewhere mate x2 .It’s a lottery starting with the right gear ,that’s why it’s important to do a bit of homework I’d say ,I just got lucky .

The bigger the mix to start with the higher the hybrid vigour .That’s to say the wider the gene mix the less likely bad traits have been FIXED by inbreeding .Doubling up on faults is what causes them to surface I’m told .

It's hard to know if that's not in there  there's always going to be the odd fault here and there is a crazy world and the dog world is crazier look at all these examples of pedigree dogs out there now a far fall from what the actual breed was a sorry site due to selective inbreeding where unfortunately faults were actually bred into those dogs crying shame 

• Like 1

When I started I had the crazy idea that everybody I knew in the game needed at least one so I breed litters at a silly rate .5-6 litters a year from the very best bitches to the same dog .Never knew it was called back breeding but makes sense .

Only ever bred one litter from any bitch at age 3-4 UNLESS she was exceptional and took another at around 6-7 .

When you find you are  breeding for the hell  of it it’s time to think why and I soon only bred for myself giving away excess .

2 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Biggest problem with bedlingtons nearly all have the same relations in there lines. The gene pool has got that small hence the need to out x

More to do with lack of popularity than anything else though mate .Black dogs all originated from couple of lads if we are told the truth now due to popularity the gene pool is massive .The Beddy breeders  steered away from work for  years ,breeding to pet types for the market .The recent revival has had to start from a very small working gene pool with purists refusing to use the fell type to bolster work attributes .

4 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Biggest problem with bedlingtons nearly all have the same relations in there lines. The gene pool has got that small hence the need to out x

Even when people do a out cross they get given stick about them not being beddys then same people moan the gene pool is small it’s a none winner . I’ve alway found strange you can get a straight beddy an it’s dirt you can get a outcross an it does what a beddys meant to do 

13 minutes ago, Penda said:

It's hard to know if that's not in there  there's always going to be the odd fault here and there is a crazy world and the dog world is crazier look at all these examples of pedigree dogs out there now a far fall from what the actual breed was a sorry site due to selective inbreeding where unfortunately faults were actually bred into those dogs crying shame 

Load of bollox 

26 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Can only speak from experience mate .Father daughter ,niece matings have been my thing for 36 years .I’m all but out the game now but I’ve no probs talking about how it went .

When you say too often what do you mean ,every year ,every other ,every 5 or no set plan ,just breed for replacements.

I see but if u was 2 line a bitch and u stumbled across a dog that was a better worker than yours but not related would unuse that dog or plod on wi ur own stuff

3 minutes ago, poxon said:

Even when people do a out cross they get given stick about them not being beddys then same people moan the gene pool is small it’s a none winner . I’ve alway found strange you can get a straight beddy an it’s dirt you can get a outcross an it does what a beddys meant to do 

Folk get stick for watever path they take , it’s best to stick to what yourself thinks right and stick with it till it lets you down then shop elsewhere , I’ve had 2 half x lurchers out the same kc beddy lines and they have done exactly what it’s says on the tin , all my beddy terriers bar one have been hybreds and av been ok the kc one not so good but he bred some outstanding lurchers

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Folk get stick for watever path they take , it’s best to stick to what yourself thinks right and stick with it till it lets you down then shop elsewhere , I’ve had 2 half x lurchers out the same kc beddy lines and they have done exactly what it’s says on the tin , all my beddy terriers bar one have been hybreds and av been ok the kc one not so good but he bred some outstanding lurchers

? mate 

14 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

More to do with lack of popularity than anything else though mate .Black dogs all originated from couple of lads if we are told the truth now due to popularity the gene pool is massive .The Beddy breeders  steered away from work for  years ,breeding to pet types for the market .The recent revival has had to start from a very small working gene pool with purists refusing to use the fell type to bolster work attributes .

Your right not only cash ruined some churning out litter after litter out of pets being touted as workers,but also wanting fame by being named in some silly book