Back Breeding

5 minutes ago, Black neck said:

With lurchers there's already more than 1 breed in the mix say you was line breeding black terriers I don't think u could do it many times before u got problems 

That's a valid point 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

by the time the sire is proven to be worthy of breeding off the first time say 4 yr old then you wait for his daughter to be 4 yr old then her daughter then her daughter and so on you wont have that

FFS breed two decent dogs and pick one of the pups put some decent food in it ,some time and effort and get on with it. Stop looking for the fecking super dog and enjoy yourself and your dog.

What a load of bollocks no wonder there's so much shit being bred

I do find all this line breeding stuff really interesting but think you'd have to surround your self with the right sort of people with the same enthusiasm of the cross you tend to line breed the litter wastage would be out this world an the amount of pups produced would be bonkers i still can’t fully get my head round the lurcher world 5yr rule for bitches 

• Like 1

Exactly what do you think can go wrong with breeding closely to descent  stock .Many many lies told about the whole thing .I’ve known of loads of inbred lines and only one has resulted in a deformity ,a cleft pallet .

Show me the lines that are wracked with deformities .

3 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Tell me why mate .Start with good stock and continue .With lurchers of mixed breed the line should be limitless .

Hmmmm I'm on the fence here with this 1 I think you can inbreed too much sometimes it is necessary though if you want the right stuff,Blackie does have a valid point though inbreed is a problem 

Let’s start with why you are breeding and how often .The very best line breeders I know only breed when THEY need a replacement and never for anybody else .The law of average states the more you breed the more chance of deformity with any breeding plan .

• Like 2
Just now, Penda said:

Hmmmm I'm on the fence here with this 1 I think you can inbreed too much sometimes it is necessary though if you want the right stuff,Blackie does have a valid point though inbreed is a problem 

If u was line breeding for arguments sake bull greyhounds half xs so half x 2 half x in and in you would eventually end up 2 lightly built or short arsed or both then what do u do

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Let’s start with why you are breeding and how often .The very best line breeders I know only breed when THEY need a replacement and never for anybody else .The law of average states the more you breed the more chance of deformity with any breeding plan .

So u agree it shouldn't be done 2 often

4 minutes ago, Penda said:

It’s only a problem if your stock holds the problem gene to start with .You cannot breed in faults without introducing them .

Just now, Black neck said:

So u agree it shouldn't be done 2 often

Can only speak from experience mate .Father daughter ,niece matings have been my thing for 36 years .I’m all but out the game now but I’ve no probs talking about how it went .

When you say too often what do you mean ,every year ,every other ,every 5 or no set plan ,just breed for replacements.

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

It’s only a problem if your stock holds the problem gene to start with .You cannot breed in faults without introducing them .

I dunno about that heres1 for my pal a good few years back bred a litter of a well bred dog did it's job 10 fold put it to a none related bitch all the pups turned out belters but unfortunately 1 had a cleft palate now how can this be 

2 minutes ago, Penda said:

I remember with canarys a canarys breeding span was avarage about 5yrs so you could inbreed 5gen till you would need to add new blood but it’d be a close relative but with a dog an this 5yr graft policy and a dog living to 10-12yr old you’d only get to the second maybe 3rgen of the original dog for inbreeding before it snuffed it 

• Like 1