Back Breeding

I'm sure they would be roybo as they should be near enough replications of the original wonder dog ....

As I said earlier , lurchers aren't perhaps the ideal example , but who would breed shite into a line anyway?

. Replicating original types will and can be done ,but they are individuals has we see that.even in let's say twenty five yrs best ta best line breeding there will be only odd welps coming through that follow the original male or female, selection his the key and stick to the standard required other siblings can be used has carriers for eventuall breedings one needs to find good honest working homes that will test them which in itself ain't easy . Line red farther daughter mating I like they seem to level the siblings out and type starts to become fixed both phenotype and genotype. Breeding mice learns one quicker how far one may go before disastrous results start to occur.far quicker than birds. The out xes then will clean things up and the line breeding will take precedence,quality in type and the ability in the field .breeding tight with quality with the occasionally outdoes every five generations or so back ta similar breeds will in time give results.atb bunnys.
  • Like 3

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

by the time the sire is proven to be worthy of breeding off the first time say 4 yr old then you wait for his daughter to be 4 yr old then her daughter then her daughter and so on you wont have that

FFS breed two decent dogs and pick one of the pups put some decent food in it ,some time and effort and get on with it. Stop looking for the fecking super dog and enjoy yourself and your dog.

What a load of bollocks no wonder there's so much shit being bred

Now a little bit about that from breeding game birds in the past but like poxon sed that's jest for showing did well in the national show to but jest the ones. I put all my time in to dogs then gave up the birds some of them lol

• Like 1

Now a little bit about that from breeding game birds in the past but like poxon sed that's jest for showing did well in the national show to but jest the ones. I put all my time in to dogs then gave up the birds some of them lol

like my self DLloyd I've given up on breeding for showing I breed just a couple of pairs for pleasure this year so I can put all my energy An commitments in to my dogs as I'm expecting some pups out my bitch so it'll be a busy time with training the one I keep for my Sen An getting there mother fit to run once the season gets underway

So thousands of pigeon men and chicken men have used a "load of wank" for decades have they?

Some mature slower than others but make far better workers in every aspect of dog work from sporting to cattle to assist dogs.

While I agree with you maybe that some dogs do mature slower but in the end make better dogs than say their siblings, I personally would never keep a dog that was slow to mature. I cant stand it and they wont make it on my yard. I prefer an early starter that just keeps getting better and better til they obviously slow down due to age. Its the only kinda dog I will keep.

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 3

end of day what we see with naked eye is a small % of whats going on inside so to say we are linebreeding/nbreeding using stuff with no faults is impossible

faults will show themselves eventually

And by weeding out thats how you purify a strain.

I practice proper line breeding with canarys for the show bench the amount of yearly wastage is out this world I keep records of everything it's hard work if you want to do it correctly it's not going to be a easy with lurchers at all with canarys it's a fast turn over I average from the 2015-2016 breeding season 2015 I bred 53 young with only one being any good for the show bench An 2016 out of 56 young 2 being any good for showing I done very well at the national show showing but that's from a show mans point of view with lurchers it's going to be one hell of a task for proper line breeding your going to have to be ruthless as they come culling year or two old bitches if there of no use as there's no use being kennel blind your have to put all dog pups down at birth only saving dog pups from the bitches every couple of times there bred just in case the original stud dog dies so you have blood line to back track on one hell of a task if you ask me if it was that easy there'd be lines of lurchers that breed true to type An produce guaranteed workers every time all I'd say about n the matter is don't be kennel blind An cull hard An don't enter in to Hancock status with the coin

its hard but worth it. There used to be more inbred lurcher strains about years ago. You would see some families like peas in a pod.Breeding properly isnt easy. Ive said it before but if you cant put pups/dogs down you shouldnt be breeding anyway,its not for you. If we had never practiced inbreeding we would never have got pure breeds.

• Like 3

The only one i can think of who did it with sighthounds was an american guy with greyhounds-one of them won the AKC grand course(im not sure if thats lure or live game-open to all sighthound breeds)-not fully as close as meant here but not far off.

I practice proper line breeding with canarys for the show bench the amount of yearly wastage is out this world I keep records of everything it's hard work if you want to do it correctly it's not going to be a easy with lurchers at all with canarys it's a fast turn over I average from the 2015-2016 breeding season 2015 I bred 53 young with only one being any good for the show bench An 2016 out of 56 young 2 being any good for showing I done very well at the national show showing but that's from a show mans point of view with lurchers it's going to be one hell of a task for proper line breeding your going to have to be ruthless as they come culling year or two old bitches if there of no use as there's no use being kennel blind your have to put all dog pups down at birth only saving dog pups from the bitches every couple of times there bred just in case the original stud dog dies so you have blood line to back track on one hell of a task if you ask me if it was that easy there'd be lines of lurchers that breed true to type An produce guaranteed workers every time all I'd say about n the matter is don't be kennel blind An cull hard An don't enter in to Hancock status with the coin

its hard but worth it. There used to be more inbred lurcher strains about years ago. You would see some families like peas in a pod.Breeding properly isnt easy. Ive said it before but if you cant put pups/dogs down you shouldnt be breeding anyway,its not for you. If we had never practiced inbreeding we would never have got pure breeds.
still plenty of line breeding among the racing/showing seen that still going on but wouldn't think there's many that get put to sleep

still plenty of line breeding among the racing/showing seen that still going on but wouldn't think there's many that get put to sleep

No they get sold

• Like 1

Think again mate!! serious show people are ruthless in pursuit of perfection.

In most pure breeds and especially the Greyhound it is impossible to mate two dogs that are not related.. its a closed gene pool.

• 3 years later...
On 21/05/2017 at 15:58, dai dogs said:

inbreeding may develop problems but back breeding can produce excellence , quality , tough offspring when bred from the Superior Base

It’s the superior base part that  those who disagree are having a hard time with. I am in 100% agreement with you though. People seem to not understand that inbreeding like this isn’t something most can or should do. It requires someone who has been successfully breeding a line of dogs for quite a while and would mean that person would know the good and the bad traits within the line. Breeding a line long enough for the breeder to see the genetic defects that occur and do the necessary culling that is needed takes years and dedication. This is also done with any trait not desired by the breeder. From that point the person need to be honest with themselves when choosing the sire and the dam that are truly the best there is in all aspects performance obviously being most important. Same needs to be done when choosing the female that will be bred back to her father so on and on. And like was said it’s not for the faint hearted as there will likely be many dog that will get culled. Definitely not an easy route to take but the results do have the possibility of being truly great 

On 21/05/2017 at 16:27, BITCH said:

I would sure love a look at superior!!!! Sounds impressive!!!

For most people getting a good dog now and then is plenty good to them. But there are people who want consistency in the dogs there working. It is very possible to get more than one good dog in a litter amd also be able to do so litter after litter. I understand that lots of people think talking a good worker to another good worker is the only way but breeding that way will end in disappointment more times  than not. Is it really so hard to believe that choosing a good worker who from multiple generations of good worker and breeding that dog to a female who is also a good worker form generations of good workers who are related( it doesn’t have to be a sibling or parent) first cousins, aunt, uncle, half sibling all have been done and proven to give good results. The more closely related ones I wrote befor that have also worked. Racing greyhounds, thoroughbred horses, bulldogs, the different hunting dog breeds are have all been bred very successful this way. One of the top breeders of racing greyhounds in Australia who has produced multiple top dogs year after year. So it’s not a fluke or simply luck. Breedings this way isn’t simply an opinion it’s backed by actual scientific research which yes doesn’t really mean a whole lot usually but people who make a living by producing good working have proven the the science in the real world. I understand how some feel when it comes to working dog and moneys but when being able feed your family, put clothes on there back and a roof over ther head is dependent on being able to consistently produce a good percentage of quality working dogs. A person I’m that position is clearly go to use the breeding method that is going to allow them to do that and choosing the best performers and the line breeding, inbreeding, and then when need outcross has shown to be the best way to do that 

On 21/05/2017 at 20:58, dai dogs said:

inbreeding may develop problems but back breeding can produce excellence , quality , tough offspring when bred from the Superior Base

So you need superior base to start with then your already there no

your gunna end up with skin conditions bad temperament fits and unsound dog as a result mate at best I recon