the cold snap is here

ive got a kennel that has an open square hole & every time i put carpet or something in front they just pull it off any tips lads ?? cheer tom

edited to say they just drag there blankets out aswell ??

My bitch is like that mate, always has been from a pup. Vet bedding, blankets, my old (worn) t-shirts with scent on them, sacks... The second she spots they're in her kennel she tosses them out, as if they dared invade her space :blink: Her pup likes something to lie on, and will make a bed, but she has none of it and ejects them summarily lol I did find that a piece of soft deep carpet cut to size to be a tight fit lasted a bit longer, but it's hardly warm like a bed of blankets is. Have you tried barley straw? She might kick some out but it's easy to sweep, biodegradable and more importantly WARM. Worth a try?

An old Steel belt tyre cut to size works. After a couple of attempts at chewing they realise that steel on teeth isnt a nice feeling and tend too leave it alone :thumbs: just keep a close eye on the dogs mouth as some terriers and bullxs ar'nt to quick on the uptake lol. THIS DOS'NT ALWAYS WORK!

Edited by sam3009
  • 2 weeks later...

good stockmanship and a clever understanding in what your working dog needs plenty dry good bedding paired up and increase the food, heat lamp no or bad injurie,unless whelping a litter , draught proof kennel and not to much height between floor and top of kennel box , shane three feet or more mate youll feel it warm on your hand and if to hot higher up , when it does get cold thats when good feeding and stockmanship keeps a dog sound ,i incrrease the food and feed them morning and last thing after theyve been out running,

socks does it get that cold down your way ,for hypothermia to set in on a working dog coldest ive had it was 20 belo in edinburgh a good few years ago ,had to keep pouring hot water on drinking water biol there food up and same with ferrets just gave them warm milk and water and meat in there sleeping compartment ,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

ive got a kennel that has an open square hole & every time i put carpet or something in front they just pull it off any tips lads ?? cheer tom

edited to say they just drag there blankets out aswell ??

My bitch is like that mate, always has been from a pup. Vet bedding, blankets, my old (worn) t-shirts with scent on them, sacks... The second she spots they're in her kennel she tosses them out, as if they dared invade her space :blink: Her pup likes something to lie on, and will make a bed, but she has none of it and ejects them summarily lol I did find that a piece of soft deep carpet cut to size to be a tight fit lasted a bit longer, but it's hardly warm like a bed of blankets is. Have you tried barley straw? She might kick some out but it's easy to sweep, biodegradable and more importantly WARM. Worth a try?

Maybe a silly question but apart from certain farmers weres the best place to get barley straw ????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a kennel inside the garage that I put the dog in when I go to bed at night, the kennel is insulated and filled with straw but I am going to fit an 2ft 80watt tubular heater inside the kennel aswell for when the harsh winter months kick in, just wondering if STRAW and the HEATER is ok together and it's not going to burn my garage down ( heater has a guard over it ) !!