Hope this is in the right forum?

My bitch has aged a lot this last year she's 11 and is starting to show signs of arthritis in her hips, mainly on 1 side.

She runs round yard all day like pup but on a evening/ colder days she's pretty sore getting up and down etc. Just wondered if anyone knows of a good supplement or pain relief I could give her?

Cheers

Nat

I can't help with any supplements mate but I have a retired bitch I keep in the house now since retiring her she's aged loads a good greyhound man advised to massage the soar areas and keep her legs bending, I try and keep her ticking over walking her with my other lurcher regularly and every night I'll do her excersises lie her down and bend both her back legs over and over for approx 5 minutes it Deffantly helps with her she's much better in the morning now but like you say about the cold weather come winter she struggles quite abit, if you do find anything that can help I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Atb with your search

Turmeric and advanced joint support.my 10 year old labrador is on this medication and what an unbelievable difference it's made.it takes a month or so to see it working properly but you won't be disappointed.

She's still really active, in her mind she's still a young un but that's the problem she's chasing my new pup round and then on a evening she regrets it big time. Will defo give the exercises ago cheers!

Dustyj what's the brand of the joint supplement? She was on turmeric before but it didn't seem to make a difference, maybe if it's alongside the supplement she will benefit

Keep her active but try to make sure she doesn’t overdo it as much as you can. If it’s bad get some metacam from vet but use the minimum dose. Arthritis is usually cyclical, ie it has periods when it’s not too bad then periods when it’s painful, although with yours the extra exercise is likely causing an acute phase, should settle if you can keep her sensible with the playing.

As to supplements, tend to be sought and given when the dogs is in a bad period, then as they naturally improve, cyclical presentation, the improvement is noted and the supplement is given credit rather than the natural progression of the disease.

Basically other than anti-inflammatory meds and sensible exercise there isn’t much that really works and even these have an element of care giver placebo (see link).

Some interesting stuff here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/11/caregiver-placebo-effects-new-study-shows-that-owners-and-vets-often-believe-an-ineffective-therapy-is-working-when-it-isnt/

Definitely give yumove a go, I know a lot of people who've had success with it, used it on mine for about 3-4 months and already noticed a big difference, moving a lot more freely than before

• Like 1