Any Of You Guys That Fox Hunt Ever Heard Of This

One night I find a story of a kind of Collie was using for hunting thought it was interesting so I was guffing around on line to see if I could find any more about it and came up on one called a bearded Collie and it being used in scatland to track fox back to it den was a interesting story was wondering if anyone has ever seen one used like that and if so would it be nomall for the breed

Years ago when the firearms were becoming more readily available the Beardie was supposed to been used to aid the deerstalker on tracking wounded red deer either pure or crossed with the deerhound,

But most of these breeds of dogs you been posting about are either old working breeds with little of the characistics now that they once had or rare breeds,

I think you either need to ask on a American forum For people that use dogs for similar purposes and can help you source one or bite the bullet an get a dog an train it yourself there is plenty of fiests/squirrel dogs/hounds an laikas over there that you can get easier an cheaper or a decent gwp.

The old man hunted with a collie dog, for years and swore by it, back then no one had hundreds of pounds to spend on imaginary world beating dogs, so they worked with whatever they had, he did a lot of terrier work also, and in his eyes they are all good dogs if they get the job done, nothing wrong with collie dogs, good dogs if brought on right,

And as foxdropper says, any dog can be taught to follow up on blood, this I know from experience,

Got about a ltr and half of blood saved up from the doe season, this fella will start learning with it shortly

647920C2-4967-4791-B304-E38B98E97F69_zps

Can't be any further bred away from pointers and I will put money on he will do it

Edited by 3175darren
  • Like 2

We used to freeze blood in ice cube trays mate and use them to drop for a trail .Wait a few minutes for them to thaw and away you go ,saves all that mess and stink from old blood .

Finish off with a slice of liver for reward .Best of luck with your trailing .In my experience terriers are very fast on a trail and even more so when they get the hang of it ,faster than purpose dogs like hpr and labs .

• Like 1

We used to freeze blood in ice cube trays mate and use them to drop for a trail .Wait a few minutes for them to thaw and away you go ,saves all that mess and stink from old blood .

Finish off with a slice of liver for reward .Best of luck with your trailing .In my experience terriers are very fast on a trail and even more so when they get the hang of it ,faster than purpose dogs like hpr and labs .

i have trained a few before, but had to put the teckle down last yr, and the lab's getting old now, so the young dog will have to pick up the slack, trouble is he bolted his first fox a couple of months ago, so weary of him diving to ground somewhere,
  • Like 1