Lurcher Men

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stick with them I say. They are all owed a chance. I remember saying to the wife when i got my pup if his rubbish his going. I was only kidding mind and I won't repeat her reply One thing this dog

I feel that if you have been in dogs for a while, and have (hopefully) learned something about the way they tick,..you are soon in a position to know as to whether they are going to make the cut,.or n

90% of the time it's the so called dog man that's at fault, and the main reason the dog won't perform.

Posted Images

I gave away a dog as it wanted to hunt up all the time,useless to me as I wan't a patient ferreting dog.The bloke I gave it to was over the moon with it as he wanted a dog to mooch about with,so dog got a good home with all parties happy.Would have been a waste to pts as is a good hunter in many ways but not for me.

Edited by Aussie Whip

I think it all depends on what quarry you work your dog on. If only rabbits the trainer should be able to achieve a reasonable standard with most Lurchers. But if working other types of quarry preban or in Ireland the Lurcherman can only take the Lurcher so far. If the dogs not up to it mentally then you have no chance.

fair point that :thumbs: , i suppose really as well ,you got to try get the best type x you want for the quarry you intend to run , as you say most type lurchers will catch rabbits. But even from proven parents , some pups wont be as good as there parents , it law of nature :yes: , but your 100% better of with a pup from proven parents you in with fighting chance , but any pup you pick its ton of luck you need with it , because as you say it got to have right mind set to start with . Another thing is how serious you take this dog game , ive always wanted a dog that will give 100% with what ever it was put on , and thats all i think you can expect from a dog something that tries hard , anything else a bonus . :thumbs:

• Like 2

:hmm:I feel that if you have been in dogs for a while, and have (hopefully) learned something about the way they tick,..you are soon in a position to know as to whether they are going to make the cut,.or not..

For them, as can see, it usually stands out a fecking mile... :yes:

As to your next move,.well, that is an entirely personal decision....

Nowadays , I only keep a few curs for exercising the local rabbits,...they ain't up to much,...so there is no stress..

In short, it just don't matter....

However, back in the day,...things were different....they had to be. :thumbs:

a lot of the older guys I know who hunt seem to go softer when they get older. I wouldn't call it patient as some of the dogs are less than average but they seem happy with what they,ve got and who's to argue. I think they must be more aware of their own mortality as they reach twilight years themselves and feel sorry for the dogs and don't expect much. I've seen them stop shooting pheasants as they age too and just want to admire them and then don't want the young lads to shoot them either. They must think if they save 1 or 2 birds it will make up for the hundreds they blasted in their time ???.
  • Like 2

:hmm:I feel that if you have been in dogs for a while, and have (hopefully) learned something about the way they tick,..you are soon in a position to know as to whether they are going to make the cut,.or not..

For them, as can see, it usually stands out a fecking mile... :yes:

As to your next move,.well, that is an entirely personal decision....

Nowadays , I only keep a few curs for exercising the local rabbits,...they ain't up to much,...so there is no stress..

In short, it just don't matter....

However, back in the day,...things were different....they had to be. :thumbs:

a lot of the older guys I know who hunt seem to go softer when they get older. I wouldn't call it patient as some of the dogs are less than average but they seem happy with what they,ve got and who's to argue. I think they must be more aware of their own mortality as they reach twilight years themselves and feel sorry for the dogs and don't expect much. I've seen them stop shooting pheasants as they age too and just want to admire them and then don't want the young lads to shoot them either. They must think if they save 1 or 2 birds it will make up for the hundreds they blasted in their time .

I like that analogy lol :laugh::thumbs:

Each to their own, my only personal rule is, if you have the bottle to take a dog on then have the decency and bottle to make sure it ends up at a place you know it won't be mistreated if you feel it has to go.

Now that may mean a couple of different things to different people but no matter what happens in between you owe it that.

As Jigsaw said, I personally never want the doubt.

Had dogs around me sin I was a kid, couldn't ever envisage life without one, they are my life. now I will never post owt on here, im not willing to prove, just let me say this, when I lost Nell, it really made me ill, couldn't sleep at nights, and feeling bitter, penny my pup gave Nell some stick when out in the field running together, really clamping down on her, Nell never retaliated, and if I could have got my hands on her, I would have clocked the bugger, and I was beginning to feel hatred towards her, now you can believe this or not, but the day Nell passed, Penny had her 1st season, what a transformation in a dog, ive never witnessed before from a scatty little fecker to now one of the most bidable dogs ive ever had the privelage to own, faithfull little bugger, and showing great potential in the field,must be an age thing or summat, but I love her to bits, and it works both ways,

• Like 5

im in my 50's and am deffo getting soft,but if a dog shows blatant lacking,i then cant clean its pen and look at it every day knowing full well its not of quality,,No matter what,you have to ascertain exactly the qualities in your dog...once its trying and gives its all and doesnt show blatant cowardice,then it stays,Mine doesnt get as much work as years gone by but i do try put stuff in front of it on a fairly regular basis ,and i like a do or die type attitude..

IMG_5911_zpse02b4f1a.jpg

I brought the above dog in from england a few years back,and as he grew his feet went flat as a pancake,and he didnt really suit me ,he was close to 3 years old when I met a real good mate that was interested on taking him on,well since then hes done some stuff with him.....quarry that I wouldnt cross paths with very often and he lamps a lot of rabbits with him and hes got the best home he could ever get,I paid a good price for him and gave him to my mate for free,it was the best decision I could have made for the dog,,,even though he didnt suit me he had qualities I knew would suit some other man,,,

• Like 5

The question being,as you get older you realise what the dog world is about,are they dog men or just men with dogs?,

I think there are both, like anything else in life some blokes developed a real passion for something and excel at it......its what they do, other blokes may like the same thing equally as much they just don't put as much time into it for whatever reason.....they may have other passions.

But if the 100% man won't cull a thing and gives mediocre mutts a load of work and the 50% man culls ruthlessly and only keeps the best he can then who has the better dog?

In truth, it don't matter, it only matters that the bloke who keeps it is happy.............

• Like 3