Lurcher Men

Looking of websites people who have good dogs seem to go through alot of dogs to get where they're too. Alot dissappear or get passed on. Are theese good or bad lurcher men getting rid of the stuff they have that's not made the grade? As some say good dofs are born not made

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stick with them I say. They are all owed a chance. I remember saying to the wife when i got my pup if his rubbish his going. I was only kidding mind and I won't repeat her reply One thing this dog

I feel that if you have been in dogs for a while, and have (hopefully) learned something about the way they tick,..you are soon in a position to know as to whether they are going to make the cut,.or n

90% of the time it's the so called dog man that's at fault, and the main reason the dog won't perform.

Posted Images

they dont all make the grade unfortunately,i PTS a pup I bred 2 weeks ago,after 3 years,lacking in a few areas...but there does seem to be tons of adult and saplings on the market constantly..i reckon some are not given a chance or brought on badly,but thats just a guess..Ive a pup coming in 3 weeks time and bred from very good parents,and it wont be going anywhere except the sofa I reckon for the rest of its life

Stick with them I say. They are all owed a chance. I remember saying to the wife when i got my pup if his rubbish his going. I was only kidding mind and I won't repeat her reply :laugh: One thing this dog has taught me you don't get the finished article in a year, 2 or even 3. Its on going slowly improving things and tweaking and repairing any cock ups made along the way :doh: But I don't require super mutt. Just after a couple of hours sport and enjoy my self

34332451852_a694f4df76_c.jpg

34248958110_82fbccb314_c.jpg

• Like 17

I don't like to get rid but if there not up to the job you want then your only kidding yourself if a dog listens to me I'm keeping it ha ha ha all I've done the last few seasons is bring young lurchers on last season I lost two in an accident early in the season both dogs were coming on brilliant then the season before another young dog had to be pts because it ripped its intestines and had peratenitius and before that a young dog I was bringing in took a liking to the terriers in a bad way this season I'm hoping for no bumps in the road fingers crossed

• Like 1

Good dogs should be treated with the upmost respect and fed the right stuff a bad dog should be treated the same until the day comes when you sort it out, I personally prefer the pts method the only dog iv ever past on was gifted to a freind because she was perfect for what he wanted to do. I'd never sell an older dog let alone a bad one. If people want to stand by their dog wether it's good or bad then fair play to them but I don't work like that if I have a dog that isn't upto doing the job it was bred to do then it has to go

• Like 4

same here,my young dog met teeth and once bitten,twice shy kicked in...and he wasnt capable of big rabbits either so he was no use to me or any other man,,,now ive no worries as to how hes being treated ...

• Like 4

To many lurcher men dont give them a chance pass them on before they get 18 months mine are here to stay one 12 months and the other 15 months not bril but they will do for me and there is still a lot of improvement to come

• Like 2

:hmm:I feel that if you have been in dogs for a while, and have (hopefully) learned something about the way they tick,..you are soon in a position to know as to whether they are going to make the cut,.or not..

For them, as can see, it usually stands out a fecking mile... :yes:

As to your next move,.well, that is an entirely personal decision....

Nowadays , I only keep a few curs for exercising the local rabbits,...they ain't up to much,...so there is no stress..

In short, it just don't matter....

However, back in the day,...things were different....they had to be. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 9

Iv been unlucky lurcher wise lost 2 last season on a Hancock pup and one nice colliebullgrey bitch when getting down to the custard don't think either would of made the grade I expected and would of been pts I gave one lurcher dog away few seasons ago he was a beddybullgrey nice dog just didn't suit my needs and is doing the dog with a mate ! If they work to my standard they are treated right and retirement is on the sofa where my old bitch is now ! Got a pup her now I bred myself will she make the grade? I don't know yet she's bred right so fingers crossed but if she fails she won't be passed on simple as that

• Like 1

I think it all depends on what quarry you work your dog on. If only rabbits the trainer should be able to achieve a reasonable standard with most Lurchers. But if working other types of quarry preban or in Ireland the Lurcherman can only take the Lurcher so far. If the dogs not up to it mentally then you have no chance.

• Like 1

Like the saying goes it costs as much to feed a bad dog as it does a good one.Yes people have different needs and different standards what they expect from a dog .For a working dog the requirements should far out weigh the sentiments. if it works to a decent standard then its earned its keep ,if not then its not doing the dog or a new home any favours and only leads to bad feeling or sub standard stock, pts or culling is the way to improve whats about.

Edited by desertbred

they dont all make the grade unfortunately,i PTS a pup I bred 2 weeks ago,after 3 years,lacking in a few areas...but there does seem to be tons of adult and saplings on the market constantly..i reckon some are not given a chance or brought on badly,but thats just a guess..Ive a pup coming in 3 weeks time and bred from very good parents,and it wont be going anywhere except the sofa I reckon for the rest of its life

I think with a lot of these coursing dogs you see for sale sometimes it's just there too scared to get em out and see what there made of. Never been able to get me head around lads parting with young saplings that 8 to 12 months old. You see plenty of people buy good breeding then when it comes to working age there looking to part with it I think it's just too much hassle for some folk running the dog.

• Like 2