Blake's Hydram

Place I've started trapping squirells has one in the woods with a man made small waterfall by it . The farmer lady reckons during the war the army put them there so they could use them . The woods are near the Brecon beacons . She didnt live on the farm during the war so I think she's just assuming .

Anybody know anything about them or their uses . I looked online but most of the stuff is about the modern day hydram

IMG_20170514_142623_zpswvihepv1.jpg

IMG_20170514_1426171_zpsr23jtv9z.jpg

IMG_20170514_142652_zps6je4jwrv.jpg

IMG_20170514_142705_zpsb7bbklf9.jpg

• Like 2

That's some serious sand bagging in that dam ,fall structure .

Are they sandbags ??? I know that hessian sand bags degrade when wet after about a year .......

there is the remnants of one just below my house , I knew it was a pump of some sort and I always wondered how it worked very interesting

If that was me id be tempted to try and get it going Greg surely the only moving parts are the 1 way valves so if they could be replaced should it not just work ?

Be a good little personal achievement to say you got it working again.

• Like 1

there is the remnants of one just below my house , I knew it was a pump of some sort and I always wondered how it worked very interesting

If that was me id be tempted to try and get it going Greg surely the only moving parts are the 1 way valves so if they could be replaced should it not just work ?

I just looked them up on you tube and they are an amazing bit of engineering and only two moving parts .you can even make them out of plastic pipe for very little money , the one below my house is not on my land anymore as the land was split up when the house came up for auction it looks the same as above picture maybe a bit smaller and its called the Vulcan ram and its made in winchester

Edited by greg64
  • Like 1

I'm tempted to have a fiddle with it .

Any idea where the water would be pumped to ? The farm itself or to the field for animal water and such

I'm tempted to have a fiddle with it .

Any idea where the water would be pumped to ? The farm itself or to the field for animal water and such

i would have thought it was pumped in to a holding tank on the farm

• Like 1

We used to use sand and cement to fill hessian sacks to make bridges over dykes and ditches, in days gone by, built them over large concrete pipes to let the water pass under the bridge, the hessian rots and leaves the imprint of the sack.

• Like 5