Magpies, " I Loath Them".

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thursday afternoon we were roofing away when that " different noise" makes you stop and listen. I said to my son, that sounds like a hawk has just caught something.

I'm not shooting at the minute but had a magies nest at the bottom of my garden in the conifers,the other morning it was like the film the birds,crow maggies all going mad at 5 in the morning I looked

Shotgun them Phil - both barrels mate I know it's only nature doing it's thing but, they are nasty little b*****ds.   I'm going to try for the ones on my permission with some eggs

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a fully qualified British Pest Control Association pest controller. I've lost count of the number of different animals I've dispatched over the years. Everything from fleas, bed bugs, wasps, up to the larger stuff like rabbits, fox and , with help, deer problems. In all these years it's never been personal. When I was 6 years old I fell into a wasps nest on the Quantock Hills, spent 3 days in Hospital. From that grew a wasp phobia, couldn't even go into a room that had a dead wasp in it. Wife came home once and I'm outside coz there was a dead one in the kitchen. Anyways, got over my phobia and now I'll sort out a Hornets nest no problem. Thing is, I used to say ''I detest wasps, I hate wasps, can't stand them, etc'' but not any more. A big part, for me, of getting over the phobia is realising that what ever we think of the particular pest we are trying to control, that pest is just doing what comes naturally. I never get negatively emotive about anything I dispatch. I admire the way it lives, take note of how it lives, learn its ways, become one with the quarry........Damn,....gone all ''AHHHH, Grass Hopper!''. You get the picture. Sparrow Hawks pull birds apart all day long and no one bats an eye, they is just doin' their thang!

• Like 1

Would " I loath magpies killing helpless fledglings" suit better ?

Many times, in my line of work,( roofer), have I seen the sheer brutality and wanton destruction to other birds, their young and their nests, by these Magpies and make no mistake, crows are " right up there, with them".

I too, do not bat an eyelid when a hawk strikes, rather I stand and admire the sheer elegance of them but to compare a Magpie/ crow`s behaviour/ habits to that of a Hawk - no, :nono: .

The Hawk kills only to live, the Magpie kills any and all fledglings with no discrimination.

All my permissions benefit greatly with the control of all Corvids. :good:

post-85710-0-64245500-1496470416.jpg

atb Mark

post-85710-0-75901100-1496470548.jpg

• Like 2

when i was a kid the local vicar in dukinfield got his hands wrapped for actively encouraging people to take out the local magpies...

my grandads garden wasn't massive but it was a decent size and i can remember the fence not having any space left for them to sit on!!

me and my sister use to sit there for hours watching and counting them cos we'd never seen anything like it :blink:

then where i live now in Yorkshire there like rocking horse sh1t..... i some times see them around where i live but there not exactly rife and if they take out the wood pigeon eggs/chicks in the tree over hanging my garden i won't lose any sleep :yes:

i saw two out in the field the other day with my mate so i pointed them out to him.... like i say its a rarity!!

they were sat on a sheeps back.. picking off ticks i recon.. the sheep certainly wasn't bothered!!

so I'm on the fence regarding magpies... if there a problem they need sorting and if there sparse let them get on with it!

atb si

• Like 1

Down here Si they thrive far too many of them competing for food and they are everywhere in about a 30 mile radius so here they,re a problem on a grand scale .Very rare for songbirds on the wife,s bird table now it,s pigeon or magpie as theyve reached such huge number,s here.

Shame our garden is open for all to see

• Like 1

Comparing a Corvids actions to a Hawks actions is exactly the same as far as I'm concerned. It's just doing what comes naturally. No one would say they hate or loath a Buzzard but If Natural England were to put Buzzards on the General Licence I would shoot them too. They would still be beautiful birds doing what comes naturally but the minute they become a legal quarry pest and some one wants me to control them then I would. It's nothing personal, just pest control.

i took a nice one out today 50 yard head shot with the rapid

Niiiiiice Jeff :thumbs:

Like I said, I know it's nature doing it's thing but, it's not nice seeing them raid a nest.

..... They're my favourite quarry quarry by a long way :yes:

I love bettering any wily corvids instincts with a sub 12 air rifle, especially with 40 yr old classics.

post-85710-0-57488500-1496780632.jpg

Proper testing stuff, - I get like Tim Wells, bow hunter,- check him out on You tube , great to watch his static hunting.

atb Mark

p.s. - shooting Jeff, :good:

• Like 1