Best Thermal Imaging

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Phil,I wanted exactly the same as you, so I bought the xq38f, I have had it for 2 weeks and used it virtually every night.   I have mixed emotions about it, in some ways it's an absolute game cha

Got it from the game fair paid £1940 mate. If you are after one though I no Ian b should have some by the end of the week and a decent price aswell so maybe worth contacting him if you are ?

Please forgive mu ignorance guys but I have been toying for a while about a small hand held thermal device to find shot quarry, ie pigeon in crops or rabbits at night and with this in mind what would

Posted Images

The best spotter Pulsar Helion XP50 but its the most expensive from the Pulsar range but the image quality is noticeably better over the XQ models.

If your on a budget the quantum lites are ok, they will detect heat signatures but the image is nowhere near the Helion XQ or XP quality, but for the price there good compared to any alternatives..

Give me a shout if your after one :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

if your after a thermal scope then a Ward WT1-75-3 or 75-6 as nothing on the market beats it for price or performance

got this off the NV Forum

What Pulsar call a thermal imaging scope is what is commonly called a spotter - a hand held device used for scanning and detecting potential quarry
What Pulsar call a thermal sight is what is commonly called a riflescope - a gun mounted device with a reticle used for aiming the gun and shooting quarry
All their spotters now use 17 micron thermal cores and are:
Helion: XQ (384x288 thermal core) or XP (640x480 thermal core) - the number after the XQ or XP is the focal length of the objective lens - bigger numbers mean more magnification, greater detection range, but narrower field of view. The Helion is the new model with WiFi, on board recording and a much improved battery pack.

Quantum lite: basically, the old model XQ but with smaller lens (23 or 30mm) - No wifi, no on board recording and the old style battery pack - but excellent value for money

Their Riflescopes are:
Trail: XP or XQ - 17 micron core with either 384x288 pixels (XQ) or 640x480 pixels (XP) both available in 38 or 50mm lenses

Apex: all use the older 25 micron 384x288 thermal cores. The XQ LRF models have a built in rangefinder, the XD models don't.

It depends on how you want to measure performance, but detection range is the most commonly quoted parameter.
Detection range set is by the foal length of the objective lens and the pixel pitch of the sensor (17 microns or 25 microns) and is NOT dependent on the number of pixels

So, performance for the spotters would be (best first)
Helion XQ50F and Helion XP50
Helion XQ38F and Helion XP38
Quantum lite XQ30V
Helion XP28
Quantum lite XQ23V
Helion XQ19F

Performance for the riflescopes would be (best first)
Apex XD75 (because it has the biggest lens on any of their thermal products)
Trail XQ50 and Trail XP50
Trail XQ38 and Trail XP38
Apex XQ50 and Apex XD50
Apex XQ38 and Apex XD38

• 2 weeks later...

Helion XP50 - Is the only 640 handheld I would consider the 2.5x optical mag is ideal alongside the 640 res sensor..

380 Sensor models.

Helion XQ50F - Good but IMO too tight a field of view at 4.1, is limiting.

Helion XQ38F - Best bang allround thermal for the money, 3.1 great mag without limiting FOV
Quantum lite XQ30V - Great for money, poor lens causes slightly grainy image..
Helion XP28 - Get an XP50 instead
Quantum lite XQ23V - Get an XQ30V instead
Helion XQ19F - Get an XQ38F instead

Trail XQ50 and The 17micron sensor provides a sharper detailed image than the older Apex 25micron Apex models) Trail XQ50 is the one to go for out of the Trail models, purely down to the 2.7x mag for anything over 100yds..

Apex XQ50 /LRF - Apex XQ50 with 17 micron provides same quality as Trail XQ50

Trail XP50 --- Amazing 640 res image the best detail under 150yds, shooting further, personally save cash and get an XQ50 model.

Apex XD75 (Good, but now superseded by the better 17 micron sensors, regardless of lens size)

Trail XQ38 and Trail XP38 --- Get an XQ50 instead!!!
Apex XQ38 and Apex XD38 - As above...

Helion XP50 - Is the only 640 handheld I would consider the 2.5x optical mag is ideal alongside the 640 res sensor..

380 Sensor models.

Helion XQ50F - Good but IMO too tight a field of view at 4.1, is limiting.

Helion XQ38F - Best bang allround thermal for the money, 3.1 great mag without limiting FOV

Quantum lite XQ30V - Great for money, poor lens causes slightly grainy image..

Helion XP28 - Get an XP50 instead

Quantum lite XQ23V - Get an XQ30V instead

Helion XQ19F - Get an XQ38F instead

Trail XQ50 and The 17micron sensor provides a sharper detailed image than the older Apex 25micron Apex models) Trail XQ50 is the one to go for out of the Trail models, purely down to the 2.7x mag for anything over 100yds..

Apex XQ50 /LRF - Apex XQ50 with 17 micron provides same quality as Trail XQ50

Trail XP50 --- Amazing 640 res image the best detail under 150yds, shooting further, personally save cash and get an XQ50 model.

Apex XD75 (Good, but now superseded by the better 17 micron sensors, regardless of lens size)

Trail XQ38 and Trail XP38 --- Get an XQ50 instead!!!

Apex XQ38 and Apex XD38 - As above...

Ward WT1-75-3 or 75-6 as nothing on the market beats it

I listed Pulsar products..and I've used them all...

Only two choice out of the handhelds for me

Helion XQ38F or Helion XP50

Or from the rifle scopes, Trail XQ50

Problem being when it comes to the chinese one

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/thermal-weapon-sight-rifle-scope-for_60636116373.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.10.qaWAJB

17 micron sensor, 75mm lens size but the WT75-3 is £4k and the WT75-6 £5k , they give a great image..BUT the design is not brilliant, white reticules on white heat source?? No multiple, memory function, no PIP function, no multiple reticules, crap mount, menu function poor...

The Pulsar menu functions are proven, the design improved...an XQ50 will cost you shopping around £2700 a WT75-3 will cost £4000

Whats the difference, both 17 micron sensors, ones got a 50mm lens, the other a 75mm lens. One is 2.7x mag the other claims 6x mag when in theory it should be around 4.2x optical, unless the eye display is magnified....

In all honesty for foxing, I'd rather have a Drone Pro and a Handheld thermal.

I use a thermal rifle scope purely for rabbits, to shoot in quick succession and to get on target fast...for this I could of put anything on my rifle, but best cost/performance, Trail XQ50 or Apex XQ50 all day long..yes for an extra £1300 you could have a better image from a larger lensed WT75-3 , but its very basic in relation to software and design..if these were better I would have one, but the overall package puts me off..

So many opinions and choices a lot read shite on the net and take it as gospel...