Saluki Greyhounds

Personally I'd sooner have a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull if that's what sort of quarry you intend to run week in week out they can do everything a saluki greyhound can do on the lamp and there's a much stronger chance the bull cross make the grade than the saluki cross, going down the saluki greyhound route is a stab in the dark, yes they have more stamina but come winter I'm out 3 or 4 nights a week and my bull grey doesn't slow down by the end of the night

How many runs and for what length of time would you get out your bull x and is this alternative runs or just out with 1 dog ?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have a 1st x and hes done a lot of foxes over time,,and he does them well enough..he hasnt got the jaw power of a bull x and it takes a tad longer to finalise the situation,which has him taking a bi

On the lamp the deer is a different animal. In the daytime is when you'll see what you've got. I'm not talking gameness, I'm talking single handed running. I seen more Bull crosses get straight lined

yer coursing dog

Posted Images

alternatively.......get a coursing dog x bull cross maybe 2nd or more generations down the line where the both parents do the job ,they are about ,

just whether you can get your hands on them

• Like 3

Personally I'd sooner have a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull if that's what sort of quarry you intend to run week in week out they can do everything a saluki greyhound can do on the lamp and there's a much stronger chance the bull cross make the grade than the saluki cross, going down the saluki greyhound route is a stab in the dark, yes they have more stamina but come winter I'm out 3 or 4 nights a week and my bull grey doesn't slow down by the end of the night

I have a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull and just lost a saluki bull grey so I can compare the 2, and not a chance do they compare no 3/4grey 1/4 bull can match up to a saluki bull grey all night lamping. You may think they don't slow down but when you run the 2 together there is a considerable difference. I wouldn't have another lurcher with out the coursing blood in now to be honest.

They are a world apart for long nights lamping.

• Like 5

Ye but if u lamp rabbits, long ears,reds and deer I see saluki type is more for it if you got one that will take foxes, as I said above I got a bull x bitch which is a nearly 3/4 grey 1/4 bull but [BANNED TEXT] u run rabbits she just kills and leaves even tho he retrieving training was spot on, so really she's only good for one thing, when I lamp I expect my dog to retrieve rabbits back to my hand.. I'm not looking to replace her just as a partner for her as my.other bitch is getting on

I have a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull and just lost a saluki bull grey so I can compare the 2, and not a chance do they compare no 3/4grey 1/4 bull can match up to a saluki bull grey all night lamping. You may think they don't slow down but when you run the 2 together there is a considerable difference. I wouldn't have another lurcher with out the coursing blood in now to be honest.

They are a world apart for long nights lamping.

I have also owned 2 saluki greys, and iv been lamping with my dog and a mates saluki grey, I look at around ten runs a night plus we cover a lot of ground on foot and anyone who has been out with me will vouch for me my dog doesn't blow out easily when he's peak fitness, I'm not saying for a minute he has the stamina of a saluki greyhound like I said iv owned them and I know it's not true what I'm saying is my dog for a good nights lamping doesn't slow down, he's not a 3/4 either he has less bull in him than a 3/4 cross I was just saying for fox I'd much rather have a 3/4 bull greyhound than a saluki greyhound and I stand by that decision for any quarry other than day time hares

Ye but if u lamp rabbits, long ears,reds and deer I see saluki type is more for it if you got one that will take foxes, as I said above I got a bull x bitch which is a nearly 3/4 grey 1/4 bull but [bANNED TEXT] u run rabbits she just kills and leaves even tho he retrieving training was spot on, so really she's only good for one thing, when I lamp I expect my dog to retrieve rabbits back to my hand.. I'm not looking to replace her just as a partner for her as my.other bitch is getting on

engage your brain before your fingers mate ffs.atb dc
  • Like 1

Ye but if u lamp rabbits, long ears,reds and deer I see saluki type is more for it if you got one that will take foxes, as I said above I got a bull x bitch which is a nearly 3/4 grey 1/4 bull but [bANNED TEXT] u run rabbits she just kills and leaves even tho he retrieving training was spot on, so really she's only good for one thing, when I lamp I expect my dog to retrieve rabbits back to my hand.. I'm not looking to replace her just as a partner for her as my.other bitch is getting on

1. Your looking for a saluki greyhound because your bull cross doesn't retrieve has it not occurred to you that it could be something youv done wrong?

2. If you think it's bad that your bull greyhound doesn't retrieve wait until your saluki greyhound is refusing to bring something back, especially if you raise your voice to it god forgive raising your hand to it you'll be lucky to see the dog again let alone get it to bring a rabbit to you,

3. If you think a saluki greyhound would be a better choice for foxes and deer youv not seen a good bull greyhound jmo

• Like 3

a dozen runs his warmindg the dog through of course if pre ban its reds are larger edible this can be seen has decent stuff but a few runs on the rabbis ain't no gauge and in no way a test for something that's got a good tank on it saluki in a little drop helps any Lurcher type ten fold the breed been used fa forty yrs plus to get us where we are today coursing types match ta any xs bull types cur types beddie types the full lot that little bit goes along ways,fa the everyday and night time moocheritshas we once used ta say it's good ta know we have the engine beneath the hood.atb bunnys.

I think it depends on what your running and where you are running doesn't it? Both the saluki types I had were incredibly ignorant and neither of them were baught up any different to any other dog iv had stubborn is an understatement, if I'm totally honest I don't mind a dog with a dash of saluki in it but I'm not a fan of a dog that's made up of mostly saluki and for someone to say the saluki greyhound is on average as good as the bull greyhound for deer and fox I think their talking out of there ar*e

I think it depends on what your running and where you are running doesn't it? Both the saluki types I had were incredibly ignorant and neither of them were baught up any different to any other dog iv had stubborn is an understatement, if I'm totally honest I don't mind a dog with a dash of saluki in it but I'm not a fan of a dog that's made up of mostly saluki and for someone to say the saluki greyhound is on average as good as the bull greyhound for deer and fox I think their talking out of there ar*e

shady I see where you going here but it the balance with the saluki in the xs using a animal bred mainly for daytime running fen or field for lamping etc of course they won't compare to lots of othe types for general Lurcher work ,but that's not to say there ain't a good ones out there .depending how one goes about there business preban there WA those that needed and wanted very clean carcasses not knocked about etc clean kills ,has for foxes the bull xes don't go amiss with a drop of quality Wheaton hardens them off for those filthy dirty wet cold nights when the action has slowed down oh believe me a knows have had both straight and xesd and very good generation bred stuff at that .a drop of terrier helped the coursing types early days has did the cur type xes they all improve with the added infusion of other breed types at some stage in there creation. Atb bunnys.

shady I see where you going here but it the balance with the saluki in the xs using a animal bred mainly for daytime running fen or field for lamping etc of course they won't compare to lots of othe types for general Lurcher work ,but that's not to say there ain't a good ones out there .depending how one goes about there business preban there WA those that needed and wanted very clean carcasses not knocked about etc clean kills ,has for foxes the bull xes don't go amiss with a drop of quality Wheaton hardens them off for those filthy dirty wet cold nights when the action has slowed down oh believe me a knows have had both straight and xesd and very good generation bred stuff at that .a drop of terrier helped the coursing types early days has did the cur type xes they all improve with the added infusion of other breed types at some stage in there creation. Atb bunnys.

No mate I agree with what you are saying I'm not anti saluki crosses I'm just stating that if somebody was to go out and just run foxes and deer on the lamp obviously pre ban then I think the bull greyhound would be more suited than the saluki greyhound, however a bull grey saluki grey could be even better I have lots of respect for the saluki type dogs there very hard wearing and obviously have great stamina when there fit, add that to the hardness and work ethic of the bull greyhound I don't think you can go far wrong if the breeding is there

• Like 1

Yas right in thinking it's that fine balance and maybe third forth generation the unwanted traits would be bred out by this time but getting that runner with that terrier temp and pain threshold does take time to get high percentages per litter .such his livestock ,atb bunnys.

• Like 1