Ns Viper. First Time Out

Had a few hours out last night on a new permission. The place is overrun with rabbits and they are out in the daylight so I thought I'd try staking out a warren or two before sunset then switch to NV after dark. Well they are about the most skittish I've seen. They disappeared never to be seen again as soon as I got within 100 yards of them. I sat on the bipod but only saw a periscope head pop up then drop back down. I had a snood and cap on and was down wind but they knew I was there, trouble is it's a wide open field with no cover or natural features like trees or rises to blend against. So I waited till nightfall and switched to using the NS Viper and the Primos medium tripod. I have to say it's a fantastic piece of kit. I scanned round until I saw a pair of shiny eyes then stalked in to about 25-30 yards, knelt down and sat it on the bipod and took the shot. As I've seen on here people complaining about the wind and last night was no exception until about 10:30 then it dropped, but the sky cleared and a bright moon lit me up which made stalking a little more difficult but I still managed to bag a round dozen before I packed up around 12:30am. There's nine in the photo as I couldn't retrieve three of them. There's a mix of adults and kits as it's pest control they've all got to go. My rifle is a .177 HW100KT sub 12ft lbs firing Bisley Magnums zeroed at 30 yards fitted with a Hawke Vantage 4-12 x 50 scope. It's a brilliantly accurate and consistent rifle I'm really pleased with it. Just got to win the lottery now so I don't have to get up for work every morning after stalking the countryside till the early hours! Today was a struggle!

post-105225-0-38687900-1494018380_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks chaps. You're right about going too often but you don't want to give the landowner the impression I'm not taking his problem seriously. It's a tricky balance to get right. I'm probably looking at once or twice a week for the first few months to get the numbers down. It's a big enough site with lots of individual warrens so that I can rotate round them in turn without over shooting them.

• Like 1

nice going martin :thumbs:

the n/s kits are like marmite.. you love them or hate them, but the results speak for them selves!

and i can see where your coming from with the primos, far to much whiteout when shooting off the bi-pod but the down side is if the moons bright the rabbits

clock you.. can't win :censored:

atb si

Nice shooting indeed Martin :good:

One of the finest pcp`s and calibres you are using too.

atb Mark

p.s if it helps any on that open ground.

Pick your warrens, put a shallow cut in the ground, leave turf to the front of the cut and go away for a good week or so.

Put turfs to the rear when you return and rabbits are used to the change.

Pick your day/time, lye prone in your cut, full camo, HW 100 KT on bipod - lethal