hi guys

i was wondering the best way to tune your gun i mean so the piston is like a mirror and the best lube and grease and a good spring i have heard the ox spring ar crap cos they eventually rattle the gun to bits so whats needed and what to do guys maybe you can drop some info please

dave

Get ya self on YouTube mate. Sooooooo many tuning videos, you'll soon find the best way for you.

You could, on the other hand, get yourself a drop in kit... again, so many about, you'll have to see what works best for you.

Whats the rifle?

hi there

thanks for replying dude the gun is a HW99S but i looked at some of the kits it mentions 99 but it does not say the S on the end so will it still fit im sure somewhere they must be one i want it if poss right on the legal limit i know if it goes over im in trouble but you know that saying what they dont know dont hurt em i need to get really smooth wet n dry and smooth all the rough edges and burs then really polish the piston and burnish the inside of the cylinder with moly slip drysulphide and allsorts would you say get a TITAN spring dont want a ox they rattle your gun to bitd any feedback and tips would be welcome dude cheers

dave

I like the kits from Tinbum tuning - for price versus performance, I don't think they can beaten.

Also, if you're not sure what kit you need, Nick is very helpful :thumbs:

I think the one that you may be looking for is the MaxiPro kit but, be warned, it comes with an HW export spring that WILL need cutting down. The one in my 97 kit had 6 more coils - I kept the original spring in because it's plenty good enough.

Also, don't be too concerned with chasing 11.9999ftlb - it could make the firing cycle on your rifle horrible and, cause accuracy issues.

Also, if you do go over power there is very little chance of being caught if you're not being an arse. But, what if by some twist of fate you are stopped and fully checked? - it'd be a silly situation to end up in for the sake of 1ftlb difference.

Your time would be better spent learning your kit, learning your quarrys habits and anatomy and, practicing field craft.

My advice - have a bit of a think before you decide what way you want to go.

Good luck and atb :thumbs:

For a spring, go for a Titan. Ox are pure rubbish nowadays.

Or, if you don't want to take your gun to bits, you could try Sandwell Field Sports. Tony Wall there does a cracking good tuning service. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Do it yourself. Stripping a 99 is so easy. Give everything a good polish and fit a wonky donky drop in kit - a satisfying little project for you and the best 45 quid you will ever spend on your 99!

Pm me if you need contact details to buy one of his kits if you need.

• Like 1

There's also a guy (shauny on bbs) will fit a delrin bearing to the 99 piston and do the full works internally. Makes them amazing apparently.

I like the sound of that :yes:

He isnt expensive either and he takes your full gun and posts back.

What calibre is your 99 Mr P?

Oh - and welcome to the gang :good:

atb Mark

hi there

dude

the hr99s is 177 i went for the more accurate calibure i think my self its got less of a curve in the long run any tips of inding or going about finding permission somewhere to shoot vermin please

dave

if it is a new gun I would shoot a tin of pellets at targets first . To become a good shot with that gun and see how the gun handles , all guns shoot a bit different you have to work out how to hold and shoot each gun .If the gun is not of target or well under powered I would do nothing , just run the gun in shooting it . I have 97k shoots fantastic it has had nothing done to it just shot loads of pellets . I have a bsa lighting . that shot ok for a bsa lighting until the spring broke I tuned it up it now shoots great , but the trigger is still a nightmare . I had a hw 35 from a long time ago when i was young and knew nothing. That gun shot poorly always , i didnt know how poorly untill I fixed all of its issues . I think you should not just rip your gun apart shoot it a bit first see what happens . If you want to spent money to improve your shooting a chronograph is a good thing to have to see what pellets do what speed and power ect . If you what to tune your gun you will need one also to see what is happening .

Edited by barrywhite
  • Like 1

I`ve heard that the "Vortek" tune for a .177 cal` HW 99 is superb, taking it`s performance to 11.5 ft/lbs with ease.

Try Tony at WWW.agrtuning.co.uk

Tel` 07912466917

As for finding permission to shoot, all the information you could possibly want is in these forums.

Good luck Mr P :good:

atb Mark

For a spring, go for a Titan. Ox are pure rubbish nowadays.

Or, if you don't want to take your gun to bits, you could try Sandwell Field Sports. Tony Wall there does a cracking good tuning service. :thumbs:

another vote for Sandwell from me, but they also do a service kit that'll do you just dandy if you wanna get into tuning yourself-best get access to a chrono though so you can work out the best recoil to power ratio for your kind of shooting. some folks like running a .177 around 10-10 1/2 ft/lbs as it maintains a flat trajectory with minimum recoil and a lot less cocking effort.

bear in mind as well that there's a waiting list for tony at Sandwell to tune your gun, but its definitely worth the 3 month wait.

havent tried a vortek or tinbum kit myself but a mates just fitted a tinbum in his TX and hes well impressed so far.

cheers, wurz