Collie Crosses To Clever Or Too Slow

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people just have a personality which doesn't suit collie x lurchers. If you can unravel their mental workings and understand what makes them tick you will not get a better all round hunting dog.

How can they be slow, get a 3/4 and they will be as fast as any Lurcher.

When a dog is worked it learns to contrast between prey animals Prey animals that offer more resistance to subdue are often placed higher in a dogs choice for prey making The humble rabbit can b

Yeah, mine was too slow. In his first two season's work he caught me a couple of hundred hares and dozens of fallow and roe. Yep, he was too slow. Mind you, saying that, he wasn't the best on rabbits. Didn't pick his runs, just never seemed to really try for them, sort of like as though they were beneath his effort lol. Didn't bother me, never been that interested in catching many rabbits :thumbs:

Edited to add, I suppose not really trying could be seen as picking his runs lol, but that was only on rabbits. But he'd bust a gut to get to every hare that got up, no matter how far away :thumbs:

Edited again to add, this was way way way before the ban :laugh::thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2

When a dog is worked it learns to contrast between prey animals

Prey animals that offer more resistance to subdue are often placed higher in a dogs choice for prey making

The humble rabbit can be frustrating for a higher drive dog, because what it really wants to do is sink its teeth in and shake it and the rabbit wont evoke the feeling when it learns to contrast

On the other hand bigger prey can have the right balance which a dog needs to truly fulfill its predator role and feel real flow because it offers more resistance to overcome, thereby the dog needs to put more energy into take it to ground/ subduing it

And whatever makes a dogs energetic juices flow is perceived as a higher value prey item , the higher the value the more attractive it becomes to the mutt

It's more about the dog doing internal calculations of what offers the best return for expenditure of energy

• Like 6

Prey animals that offer more resistance to subdue are often placed higher in a dogs choice for prey making

The humble rabbit can be frustrating for a higher drive dog, because what it really wants to do is sink its teeth in and shake it and the rabbit wont evoke the feeling when it learns to contrast

On the other hand bigger prey can have the right balance which a dog needs to truly fulfill its predator role and feel real flow because it offers more resistance to overcome, thereby the dog needs to put more energy into take it to ground/ subduing it

And whatever makes a dogs energetic juices flow is perceived as a higher value prey item , the higher the value the more attractive it becomes to the mutt

It's more about the dog doing internal calculations of what offers the best return for expenditure of energy

Superb analyzation. That's exactly how my old dog was. But you explained it FAR better than I could have! Lol :thumbs:

Superb analyzation. That's exactly how my old dog was. But you explained it FAR better than I could have! Lol :thumbs:

?

I have found the herding composites to be the most intelligent and primitive of canines,...they definitely know when it is on,..and when it isn't.... :yes:

Lurcher enthusiasts who need a dog with a do or die attitude,...might do well to consider another type of hybrid running dog ...

I made my choice, 50 years ago and although I have left the flock on numerous ocassions,...I always return.... :thumbs:

• Like 5

yep fair point :thumbs: , the more running dog in the mix, will give that above and prob full on temp, more to grey than the collie. But in saying all my collie xs that 2 3/8 c 5/8 g and my 1x c x g Bryn , all have had enough pace for lamping no prob, Bryn is fast for a 1x , most people who seen him run all said he was quick for that x.He never stalked rabbit, he would run the 1st one same as the last one, his best bags have been 30 a night, and fair few 30s with him :yes: .But it the collie feckin temp i dont like , they will only do what they want, that could be the size of the bag rabbits, or pre ban could be a fox or big deer , i found they are doing it for selves , not what you want . i can only speak of my collie xs, like been said on here before as ferreting dog, long netting dog they are Brill deff, Bryn great at marking , and nice steady lamping , but if you want to up your game a bit as they say , different quarry etc, i reckon i use different type lurcher. My 1x gsd x grey Buck similar temp as Bryn around the house , and easy with people and dogs , but his mind set different to Bryn, as he lot more full on when hunting mode :yes: all lurchers can offer something big or small what ever the x :thumbs:

• Like 1

yep fair point :thumbs: , the more running dog in the mix, will give that above and prob full on temp, more to grey than the collie. But in saying all my collie xs that 2 3/8 c 5/8 g and my 1x c x g Bryn , all have had enough pace for lamping no prob, Bryn is fast for a 1x , most people who seen him run all said he was quick for that x.He never stalked rabbit, he would run the 1st one same as the last one, his best bags have been 30 a night, and fair few 30s with him :yes: .But it the collie feckin temp i dont like , they will only do what they want, that could be the size of the bag rabbits, or pre ban could be a fox or big deer , i found they are doing it for selves , not what you want . i can only speak of my collie xs, like been said on here before as ferreting dog, long netting dog they are Brill deff, Bryn great at marking , and nice steady lamping , but if you want to up your game a bit as they say , different quarry etc, i reckon i use different type lurcher. My 1x gsd x grey Buck similar temp as Bryn around the house , and easy with people and dogs , but his mind set different to Bryn, as he lot more full on when hunting mode :yes: all lurchers can offer something big or small what ever the x :thumbs:
What you explained with Bryn mate is what I'd see in a lot of dogs never get that with my bitch , as for using a different type im not sure down here a lot of boys are using colliex to good force for the hill work , id like to see if that buck would hunt enough for the boys down here It's totally different I know people might think I bang on about the hunting a distance but I makes a massive difffence in this park of the country and colliex or houndx is top pick but that's just my view
  • Like 1

What you explained with Bryn mate is what I'd see in a lot of dogs never get that with my bitch , as for using a different type im not sure down here a lot of boys are using colliex to good force for the hill work , id like to see if that buck would hunt enough for the boys down here It's totally different I know people might think I bang on about the hunting a distance but I makes a massive difffence in this park of the country and colliex or houndx is top pick but that's just my view

yeh ive seen the vids of the colliexs working mountains etc , after foxes , and the 2 were bitches not sure if they were straight collie x greys though yeh it s a different ball game where you are ,regards Buck prob wouldn't be no good to your or you mates , as said he better than Bryn , but that dont say alot really lol , i dont do alot with him , but it suits me with my fooked back , but what i do like about him, is when i do work him, even if not alot , he gives 100% for me, Bryn didn't he do just what he wanted , that's the difference mate . :yes: