Beagles

I'm not running down the beagle... In fact they are a great little animal with a better nose than a harrier an can hunt any day of the year wth minimum scent...the question was asked about foxes going to ground...I seen 1st hand a top class pack of beagles with 15 couple hunting day in day out hunting the same fox for anywhere between 2 an 3 hours with no conclusion as there was no pressure on... Obviously would mark some after short hunts but numbers would be small in a season...I hav seen pack of harriers in same country who find it hard to get anything over an hour as foxes can't stick the pressure... 100 odd foxes marked every season..often 4 or 5 in a day...they meet the useless ones 2 that are gone in after 5 mins...that is just my experience of both games... Not knocking ss either but he did admit to bolting to lurchers which is completely different game...

I'm not running down the beagle... In fact they are a great little animal with a better nose than a harrier an can hunt any day of the year wth minimum scent...the question was asked about foxes going to ground...I seen 1st hand a top class pack of beagles with 15 couple hunting day in day out hunting the same fox for anywhere between 2 an 3 hours with no conclusion as there was no pressure on... Obviously would mark some after short hunts but numbers would be small in a season...I hav seen pack of harriers in same country who find it hard to get anything over an hour as foxes can't stick the pressure... 100 odd foxes marked every season..often 4 or 5 in a day...they meet the useless ones 2 that are gone in after 5 mins...that is just my experience of both games... Not knocking ss either but he did admit to bolting to lurchers which is completely different game...

You obviously haven't seen a 'class of pack' if they can't put foxes to ground.

• 3 weeks later...